Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

To Boss or not to Boss?

Old 7/5/12, 11:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Boss or not to Boss?

Hello all,
I've been reading through these forums for a couple of months as I've thought through what color/options I should get when ordering my Mustang. The many pics and informative threads have been very helpful. Too helpful perhaps!

I never even considered a Boss as an option until I started pricing out the GT I planned to order and saw the price tag reaching the low 40's. Of course that would include most of the creature-comforting goodies. But if I can have a Boss for a small percentage more, why not? Well that's why I'm posting here.

First of all this car would not be my DD. I have a vehicle provided by my employer that I drive daily. This would be a car strictly for fun driving and looking cool at intersections. That said I wouldn't take it to the track or mod whichever one I went with.

Do those of you that own a Boss miss any of the features available in the GT?
Do you think the extra money for the Boss is worth it for someone like me that might not take full advantage of all the racing features the Boss has available?
Old 7/6/12, 12:11 AM
Cobra Member

The one thing I missed going into my Boss was sat radio, but that was easily fixed wiht Pandora on my iPhone going through the Aux input.

I say go Boss!
Old 7/6/12, 05:02 AM
GT Member

I don't miss a thing and rarely use the AC or Radio.
Old 7/6/12, 05:07 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
If you can swing a boss instead of a GT, you won't be disappointed in sure. Better built drivetrain is worth it alone.
Old 7/6/12, 05:12 AM
Cobra Member

Do it do it
Old 7/6/12, 05:33 AM
Cobra Member

I sold my 2010 G37S after driving my wife's new '11 GT 2 years ago. Why? Because I hated the G's grabby clutch in 1st gear, and I enjoyed the overall driving experience in the Mustang. Sure one was a luxury sport sedan, with all the toys, and the other 2 door sport coupe with a 412hp engine... Now the wife's GT has Nav, Glass Roof, and Comfort package, so she got hers exactly how she wanted it.

I thought I would get a GT convertible until the Boss came out. Started shopping for a Boss last year and things worked out such that was able to order a new '13 Boss. Just took delivery 3 days ago and I couldn't be happier. The wife's black GT gets thumbs up and attention, it's a sharp car, but the Boss kicks it up a notch, as would a Shelby.

The biggest appeal of the Boss for me is that monster engine and amazing exhaust sound (now that I have 3/4 plates in the side pipes) to go along with great handling. Sure you could start with a base GT, and add Track Pack & Recaros if you wanted to save money, or get a GT Premium with the same and get leather Recaros, and add Glass Roof and Nav if you want all the toys. Going that route puts you right up in the Boss price range as you mentioned.

Now that the '13 Boss has Sync, HID headlights, LED tail lamps, you aren't giving up as much as the '12 Boss owners did for extra bling. The reflective stripes are one of the coolest features I like as well. There's no blending into the crowd driving one of these.

Name:  IMG_1977.jpg
Views: 979
Size:  138.4 KB

So if you shop around you can find them for MSRP, never pay ADM on a Boss or Shelby, just keep looking. If you can find one of those rare dealers that would allow you to test drive it when you are ready to buy that day, all the better.
Old 7/6/12, 05:34 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
If it's not your daily driver you wont miss the creature-comforting goodies. However you will be entiled to the extra horse power / handling that the Boss has to offer. You will also then own a limited production car. The Boss will also put a smile on your face for quite some time after you experience what it has to offer...Well worth the money.
Old 7/6/12, 06:01 AM
Team Mustang Source

I was in your very same position roughly three weeks ago. I had been following the Boss since its introduction..last year. I became very discouraged once I read reports of dealers adding a premium on top of msrp. So my wife and I drove to a dealer that had a Boss on their showroom floor and a GT that was spec'd out the way I would order one. Well...the dealer told me msrp and we took the Boss for a test ride and the rest is history.

Yes...the Boss does not have all the bells and whistles that can be had on the GT. A person notices that immediately...but...it is true to form of its 1969-1970 heritage. Form really follows function. It's a car that means business. It's a vehicle that you can drive to the track....have fun driving a course and then drive home. One advantage is...there's less things to go wrong or fail..with this car.

Good Luck....The Boss makes everyone smile who drives it.

Wayne
Old 7/6/12, 07:30 AM
Cobra Member

Like boss man said, if it's not gonna be your daily driver what's the point of all the extra packages on the gt. You won't be able to enjoy them very much. No brainer, you are getting a Boss my friend!
Old 7/6/12, 07:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Get the Boss,
not that many on the road as a GT.
Old 7/6/12, 08:38 AM
GT Member

For the rarity and additional goodies, I say go 2013 Boss. I like that it's a little stripped down. But that means I can add only the things I really care about like Sat Radio. The hardest (or near impossible) thing to retrofit if you got a GT would be the center display with track apps. They're a bit gimicky, but I'm glad they're there.
Old 7/6/12, 09:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for all the replies everyone!
I should have known I would get a unified front of support for the Boss from you guys, but then again the passion that you all have for the car is one thing that led me to consider it in the first place.
It's a point well made that I wouldn't be using the car everyday and thus not really using the nav., etc.

I very much like the idea of the special edition car that not everyone will have out on the street, and that the limited production run will hopefully help its resale value down the line.

I guess I'm hesitant because I've never really been a "car guy." I've admired them from afar and on the Internet, but I've actually never even owned a car before. It's always been more practical trucks, jeeps, etc. I've wanted cars but either never had the means or just went with the "safe" pick that everyone else here in Texas has. Heck I haven't even driven a manual transmission vehicle in years.

So while I really WANT the car the logical angel on my shoulder is arguing that I don't really need that much ride.
Old 7/6/12, 09:36 AM
Bullitt Member

No offense intended but, why not leave the car for an enthusiast? I'm not quite sure that is you. On the other hand it is a free country.
Old 7/6/12, 09:44 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Snowman
Thanks for all the replies everyone!
I should have known I would get a unified front of support for the Boss from you guys, but then again the passion that you all have for the car is one thing that led me to consider it in the first place.
It's a point well made that I wouldn't be using the car everyday and thus not really using the nav., etc.

I very much like the idea of the special edition car that not everyone will have out on the street, and that the limited production run will hopefully help its resale value down the line.

I guess I'm hesitant because I've never really been a "car guy." I've admired them from afar and on the Internet, but I've actually never even owned a car before. It's always been more practical trucks, jeeps, etc. I've wanted cars but either never had the means or just went with the "safe" pick that everyone else here in Texas has. Heck I haven't even driven a manual transmission vehicle in years.

So while I really WANT the car the logical angel on my shoulder is arguing that I don't really need that much ride.
But the car. Drive to a track event. Become a car guy. Simple.
Old 7/6/12, 10:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

I faced the same dilemma about a month ago. Drove 120 miles to Madison to look at a Yellow 13 Boss. My eyes beamed when i saw the car. The dealer worked up a reasonable (MSRP) deal with a good trade for my Bullitt. When I sat in the car though, I was underwhelmed by the interior. The Recaros felt confining to me and the anchors of black just didn't thrill. My wife was turned off by the seats as well (and she didn't much like the color). I was also concerned about the lower ride height causing problems negotuiating the world's worst driveway into my garage. Bottom line was that for $44K I wanted to be coddled a little more. So ordered a new GT premium with the track package, ICAP, Comfort package in Gotta have it Green (although if Schoolbus Yellow was available for the GT I would have ordered it that way). I've already started my upgrade wish list, which will be offset by the lower purchase price since I scored a rebate, X-plan, a Ford mailed discount and a good traade. It won't have the Boss pedigree and exclusivity, but I'll be happier in the long run. That being said, the Boss is an awesome car and worth it.
Old 7/6/12, 11:22 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by orng302
No offense intended but, why not leave the car for an enthusiast? I'm not quite sure that is you. On the other hand it is a free country.
That is silly to say.

I am very positive that once he owns his Boss, he will take it out to crusises and become an enthusiest too!
Old 7/6/12, 01:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by orng302
No offence taken. This is essentially what I'm asking. Is a Boss still a good choice for someone like me that will likely not track the car?

Originally Posted by Juice
I faced the same dilemma about a month ago. Drove 120 miles to Madison to look at a Yellow 13 Boss. My eyes beamed when i saw the car. The dealer worked up a reasonable (MSRP) deal with a good trade for my Bullitt. When I sat in the car though, I was underwhelmed by the interior. The Recaros felt confining to me and the anchors of black just didn't thrill. My wife was turned off by the seats as well (and she didn't much like the color). I was also concerned about the lower ride height causing problems negotuiating the world's worst driveway into my garage. Bottom line was that for $44K I wanted to be coddled a little more. So ordered a new GT premium with the track package, ICAP, Comfort package in Gotta have it Green (although if Schoolbus Yellow was available for the GT I would have ordered it that way). I've already started my upgrade wish list, which will be offset by the lower purchase price since I scored a rebate, X-plan, a Ford mailed discount and a good traade. It won't have the Boss pedigree and exclusivity, but I'll be happier in the long run. That being said, the Boss is an awesome car and worth it.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Do you ever regret passing on the Boss?
Old 7/6/12, 07:42 PM
Bullitt Member

My response was not based on whether or not you will track your car. There are plenty of Boss owners that do not track their car. If your concern is that the GT as you spec'ed it out will come very close to the price of the Boss then by all means opt for the Boss as it will surely be a better value.
Old 7/6/12, 11:37 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a Mercedes for my daily driver and my wife drives a 328i convertible. My Boss is my weekend toy, and the reason I bought the Mercedes was to conserve miles on the Boss. It broke my heart to see such a car wasted on commuting.

That being said I think you should get the GT you optioned out. Although you said it wouldn't be your daily, I can't imagine that you'd be happy with a Boss long term. If you buy the car and intend to keep it, do the car a favor and become a car guy. I don't think you'd need to be a track rat, but at least put the car in its element from time to time.

Otherwise, you will miss the creature comforts a GT would provide. Perhaps a GT500 would suit your tastes better based on what you're saying.

Don't buy the car with resale value in mind. Cars depreciate period. If you plan to get rid of it consider leasing a GT. If you plan for a long term love affair with your car by all means buy and learn about the boss. All of the trinkets in the GT will eventually become outdated anyway.
Old 7/7/12, 12:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks again for the thoughtful responses. They really have been helpful. I'm very glad I made thismpost. I have an update on my quest:

I was discussing my decision with the owner of my company and he suggested I call the manager of the fleet department at a local Ford dealership where we buy all of our company trucks. I called his cell phone and he asked me to come down to the lot.
Before I went to the fleet department I walked through the showroom and saw that they actually had 4 Bosses on site. A SBY that was marked "sold", a RR that was sold, a GTHIG, and a black LS. I have to admit if the RR were not already spoken for my search might have ended right there. I love that look.

I talked with the guy at fleet for a bit about my situation. He gave me the keys to a non-Track Packed brembo GT and suggested I drive around until I started to feel something one way or the other. I drove the GT around for a good half an hour, even pulling into an abandoned industrial building parking lot to do some "launches." Even without being totally comfortable shifting (from lack of practice) the car was a ball to drive. It was plenty of car for me, and I had my mind pretty well made up.

But I had to drive by that **** RR Boss on the way back in the dealership...and the prices were SO close.

So I go in to give the guy the keys back and he asks me what I think. I tell him the GT is great, but the Boss is only a couple thousand more, and it's an amazing car.
He says he will gladly trade for another RR Boss and sell it to me at MSRP, but it will still be way more than a GT optioned as I want it because he would sell me the GT at invoice minus the $1000 rebate they have going. So since he couldn't come off MSRP on the Boss (GM would kill him) the gap in price between the cars swelled to around $7000.

I believe the Boss is worth that, but the cost is enough of a concern for me that I couldn't justify the expenditure. I'm going to order a GT on Monday.

Thank you again to everyone who took the time to respond. It helped a lot.

TLDR: I'm getting a GT because I got a pretty good deal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To Boss or not to Boss?