Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

BOSS 302 vs Camaro 1LE

Search this Thread

Old 3/28/12, 07:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BOSS 302 vs Camaro 1LE

I think we all could agree that any BOSS/ZL-1 comparisons were apples to oranges. This is certainly more apples to apples...

http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/...-upgraded.html

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/...ntcmp=features

Just the Facts:
  • Chevrolet says the 2013 Camaro SS with the 1LE performance package is "one of the most affordable, most capable track-day cars offered by any manufacturer."
  • Priced from under $40,000, the 2013 Camaro 1LE is aimed at amateur track-day racers.
  • The 1LE cockpit borrows the flat-bottom steering wheel and short-throw shifter from the ZL1, both trimmed in sueded microfiber.

DETROIT — Chevrolet says the 2013 Camaro SS with the 1LE performance package is "one of the most affordable, most capable track-day cars offered by any manufacturer."

Priced from under $40,000, the 2013 Camaro 1LE is aimed at amateur track-day racers. Chevrolet said it is pursuing SCCA approval of the 1LE package for Touring Class competition.

For 2013, Chevy is offering the 1LE package only on the Camaro SS coupe equipped with the 6.2-liter LS3 V8 and Tremec TR6060 six-speed manual transmission geared for road racing. Visual cues include matte-black hood, functional front splitter and rear spoiler.

Among the features on the 2013 Camaro 1LE package are monotube rear shocks, larger front and rear stabilizers, beefed-up rear axle and strut tower brace. Variable-rate electric power steering, adapted from the Camaro ZL1, is new for 2013, as is an optional dual-mode exhaust system.
Also lifted from the ZL1 are 20-inch, 10-spoke aluminum wheels, painted black with Goodyear Eagle Supercar G:2 tires sized 285/35ZR20, as well as ZL1 wheel bearings, toe links, rear shock mounts, high-capacity fuel pump and additional fuel pickups.

The 1LE cockpit borrows the flat-bottom steering wheel and short-throw shifter from the ZL1. Both are trimmed in sueded microfiber.

Inside Line says: The Camaro 1LE dates back 25 years.

The Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 was thought to be the obvious rival for the Ford Mustang Boss 302, as history would have shown. General Motors has thought otherwise, deciding that their ultimate handling pony car shall be the 1LE, which will sell for under $40,000 and offer a claimed 1g of handling.

This Camaro is similar to how the Corvette Grand Sport was designed. Engineers have taken some good bits from the range-topping ZL1, and put them into the 1SS and 2SS models to make the 1LE. This includes things like a transmission cooler, short-throw shifter, suspension geometry, fuel system components, 10-spoke wheels, and steering wheel.

Other changes that separate the 1LE to other V-8 Camaros include a switch to monotube rear shocks, upgraded axle shafts for better cornering, uprated front and rear swaybars and a strut-bar. Outside, stylists have forgone a gaudy body kit and instead offer a matte-black hood, front lip spoiler and trunk spoiler. Everything else is plain old 1SS or 2SS Camaro, but only comes with a manual transmission (which will probably change much like the ZL1.)

Read FoxNews.com Auto's review of the Mustang Boss 302

All these changes are well and good, but may not be enough to dominate the Boss 302 from its track day, pony car pedestal. There doesn’t seem to be any real weight-savings attempts on the car, something that seems to be essential for a serious track day special. Also there aren’t any engine tweaks to produce more power like the Ford as well. The only thing it seems to do better with is a cheaper price than the Mustang, which starts at $42,995.

Whether it offers a better performance than the Boss 302 will remain unseen until a comparison can be done.
Old 3/28/12, 07:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

I still see apples to oranges.

Seems more like its aimed at the GT with Track Pack.
Old 3/28/12, 07:38 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With a Sub 3 min VIR time and 1G conering a track pack GT wouldn`t stand a chance, it`s clearly targeted at the Boss LS with that VIR time it`s even faster. I like the boss better but glad the GM stepped up to the plate as competition keeps all companies improving which is win for all.
Old 3/28/12, 07:50 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by askjeffro

This is more than just a GT with the Track Pack. Clearly they are going after the Boss but without the built motor.
Old 3/28/12, 07:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by askjeffro

EXACTLY! This is a track pack not a Boss hunter. Only when the Z28 name resurrects will they have a Boss in its sights. They want to go after the Boss but I don't see how it can. It's impressive I guess but I still don't see a Boss competitor here. I could be wrong though.

Last edited by Automagically; 3/28/12 at 07:52 AM.
Old 3/28/12, 07:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Automagically
EXACTLY! This is a track pack not a Boss hunter. Only when the Z28 name resurrects will they have a Boss in its sights. They want to go after the Boss but I don't see how it can. It's impressive I guess but I still don't see a Boss competitor here. I could be wrong though.
The Track Pack GT doesn't really have any handling upgrades though...
Old 3/28/12, 08:19 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by bpmurr

You're right, I just thought about that. It's nice to see they are upgrading the shocks of the Camaro. I think the track pack GT could use this. I think I'm just thinking of how well the GT spanks the SS but this Camaro is probably worthwhile. I will admit that the Camaro is known for better brake bite than the Mustang at times. This is an interesting package. Maybe I should grow out the mullet instead of my Mohawk.
Old 3/28/12, 08:20 AM

Without engine mods this is nothing more than a "x-pack".
What makes the boss so special (amongst the obvious) is that it has a unique engine. An engine that is not in any other Ford.

I love to see GM responding to Ford here and I think the 1LE is going to be a helluva a car, especially for the bowtie boys. To me though there isnt anything on the 1LE that I couldnt bolt on myself and to me that equates to some kind of pack.

Time will tell, maybe if the 1LE kicks the boss around the track we'll get that special 3rd year production Boss everyone is hoping for.
Old 3/28/12, 08:39 AM
V6 Member

I'd expect this to post better lap times than a track pack GT solely based on contact patch. I think we'd (GT drivers) all rather have 285s all around than 255s all around. It'll be interesting to see how this compares to GTs and Bosses.
Old 3/28/12, 08:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Which brakes are they using? If they put the dry sump from the grand sport and the zl1 brakes I'd be more interested in this over the zl1 to be completely honest... W/o Those mods it's more of a comparison to the gt track pack. I wonder what kind of times the gt would put out with those eagle g2's
Old 3/28/12, 08:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Krnnerdboy
Which brakes are they using? If they put the dry sump from the grand sport and the zl1 brakes I'd be more interested in this over the zl1 to be completely honest... W/o Those mods it's more of a comparison to the gt track pack. I wonder what kind of times the gt would put out with those eagle g2's
It would be interesting if they used the dry sump But it'd tack on to the price a bit. And it's more engines they have to build with the dry sump. The brakes appear not to be changed so the SS Brembo 4 pots front and rear. Good looking wheels though.
Old 3/28/12, 09:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Glad to see GM joining the party, and keeping it low buck, but once again they are missing the point, no weight savings, and nothing done to the engine. Definately not a Boss hunter, and like stated before, nothing that can't be bolted on a regular SS. At least they woke up and kept the approach low buck. I wish the Mopar guys would join the party as well and make a stripped down Challenger with a 6.4, or better yet a high revving 5.7 with 6.4 top end, that would be nice!, bringing back the Challenger T/A
Old 3/28/12, 09:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bpmurr
What????????

GT Track Package (55R)
• Brembo™ Brake Package content plus the following
— TORSEN® helical differential with 3.73:1 axle ratio
— Boss® 302 Radiator
— Engine oil cooler
Note : Only available on GT Coupe with manual transmission

But what is the “Brembo Brake Package”?

Well it is more than just brakes………

A lot of folks think the "Brembo Brake Package" (aka Option 55D) is the addition of the Brakes and 19" Wheels and Tires, however, its much more than that…………….

What does the normal 2011-12 GT share with a Brembo Mustang?

Part Specifications that ALL 2011-12 Mustang GTs come standard with including the Brembo Mustang:
  • Rear: 11.8" Vented Rotors with 1-Piston Calipers
  • Sway Bars ( 34.6mm Front/ 24mm Rear)
  • Strut Bar Brace
  • Higher Durometer Rubber Bushings
Then this…..what a standard 2011-12 Mustang GT does not have, that a Brembo Mustang does;

The (55D) Brembo Brake Package includes the following:
  • Front: 14" Brembo® Vented Rotors with Brembo® 4-Piston Calipers
  • 19 x 9.0-inch dark-stainless premium painted aluminum wheels
  • 255/40R19 Pirelli PZero Summer-Only (Coupe)
  • Different Springs (131lbs Front / 167lbs Rear)
  • Different Struts/ Shocks (tuned for spring rates)
  • GT-500 Rear Lower Control Arms ( Higher Durometer Rubber)
  • Unique Electronic Stability Control® (ESC) Tuning
  • Unique Sport Steering Control Setting (EPAS)
  • Tire Mobility Kit Replaces Spare Tire
So its got a little bit of stuff over a normal GT……….
Old 3/28/12, 09:37 AM
GT Member

I`m sure GM has designed and benchmarked this optioned camaro against the Boss LS as it`s listed in the official press launch as the competition so it`s prob safe to say it`s a touch faster. Now in straight line with the new 3.91 gearing it`s prob gonna be close as the LS3 was always under geared in the camaro IMO

I do feel kinda sad that the day has finally come that a track optioned SS will be faster around a track than a Boss LS

Can`t wait to see them go head to head
Old 3/28/12, 10:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by hori

I do feel kinda sad that the day has finally come that a track optioned SS will be faster around a track than a Boss LS
Faster? it's not lighter than the SS so it has to push the extra weight.........

The question to ask; Is the LS3 reliable.........not my words but base engine Corvette guys with LS3's

Let me ask another way, who's LS3 HASN"T blown up on the track

"........I was right behind that guy. Pretty impressive kaBLAMMO!......"

"Have been behind two C6Z06s when they killed their engines. Drivers said it was due to oil issues, even with the dry sump (2 qt versions) in their cars. One driver said he was on his third warranteed engine."

"If you run any type of racing tire or enhanced your suspension and are pulling 1.2 gs or higher (specifically in left hand turns), you will blow it. It's just a matter of time."

"LOL we blow LS3 motors with a dry sump. lets hope this new one last the season."

Last edited by GT_350; 3/28/12 at 10:57 AM. Reason: LS3 = Base Engine Corvette not Z06
Old 3/28/12, 10:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Sticking by my original comment until we see these things on the street for real.
If the ZL1 is any indication, we won't see this for a while... To soon?
Old 3/28/12, 10:41 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by GT_350
Faster? it's not lighter than the SS so it has to push the extra weight.........

The question to ask; Is the LS3 reliable.........not my words but Z06 guys with LS3's

Let me ask another way, who's LS3 HASN"T blown up on the track

"........I was right behind that guy. Pretty impressive kaBLAMMO!......"

"Have been behind two C6Z06s when they killed their engines. Drivers said it was due to oil issues, even with the dry sump (2 qt versions) in their cars. One driver said he was on his third warranteed engine."

"If you run any type of racing tire or enhanced your suspension and are pulling 1.2 gs or higher (specifically in left hand turns), you will blow it. It's just a matter of time."

"LOL we blow LS3 motors with a dry sump. lets hope this new one last the season."
Z06 has LS7
Base vette has LS3
LS motors has been around for awhile and pretty reliable.
Old 3/28/12, 10:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by hori
Z06 has LS7
Base vette has LS3
LS motors has been around for awhile and pretty reliable.
Yes the curent (C6) Z06 has the LS7

And the (C5) had the LS6

LS motors on the street live long lives, but once again not my words but the words of Corvette owners who track their corvettes; they complain about oil stravation issues in left hand corners where the car pulls 1.2 or more G's...........

Has this been fixed?
Old 3/28/12, 11:30 AM
GT Member

I really don`t know about that.

But I know I can`t wait to see the Boss and camaro duel it out on race track.
Old 3/28/12, 11:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Wink

Originally Posted by Brawlin' Boss
Glad to see GM joining the party, and keeping it low buck, but once again they are missing the point, no weight savings, and nothing done to the engine. Definately not a Boss hunter, and like stated before, nothing that can't be bolted on a regular SS. At least they woke up and kept the approach low buck. I wish the Mopar guys would join the party as well and make a stripped down Challenger with a 6.4, or better yet a high revving 5.7 with 6.4 top end, that would be nice!, bringing back the Challenger T/A

This FTW^

Take this from a "chevy guy" its not enough to take on the boss....
I should know, I had a ZL1 on order.....

Yes, I thought they would resurrect the Z28 to take on the boss......
They are obviously hanging on the Z28 moniker for future use you can be sure of that...... Doubt we will see it until the release the 6th gen though...
BUT...you never know... They MIGHT be holding on to it to tackle the 13 Shelby but highly unlikely...When and if they do a Z28....you can be sure it will be too heavy to compete and....No forged internals... I can't wait to see what our c5 fan boys start doing when they start modding these 1le's and the ZL1...can you say KAAAAAAAAAAA BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMM?

Quick Reply: BOSS 302 vs Camaro 1LE