Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

throttle safe-mode

Search this Thread

Old 7/13/08, 10:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
throttle safe-mode

Has anyone had the wrench shaped trouble light in the tach face come on. I`ve had this happen twice in the last few months. The hand book says its telling me my throttle function is in a safe mode and to get service as soon as possible. Both instances shutting the motor off and waiting a few moments before restart clears it and it doesn`t hold a code.
I`m passed the mileage on the bumper to bumper warranty and if this needs service would it qualify under the 5 year power train coverage?

thanks, Art
Old 7/14/08, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have, but it was my error, when I put the K&N on, I had forgotten to plug in a sensor, I pulled the battery cable off, unplugged both sensors,plugged them back in, reconnected the bateery and all was fine.
Good luck with it,
Ron
Old 7/14/08, 05:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
I have had some parts replaced due to that error code. I dobt it is covered under the power train warranty.
Old 7/15/08, 06:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Try flashing your computer back to stock and see if it still happens, you can at least narrow down if its the tune or not. I had this happen with my Granatelli intake. It was using their tune-free in-line module at the time, which was defective so the MAF signal wasn't right. Kept throwing off the computer. Never threw a CEL.
Regardless, you'll want it flashed to stock before you try to take it to the dealer, and I'd think it'd be covered under powertrain.
Old 7/15/08, 10:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I could be wrong but the drive train is the engine, trans, drive shaft and rear end. Not so much the other parts that may attach to those parts.
Old 7/15/08, 10:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
I could be wrong but the drive train is the engine, trans, drive shaft and rear end. Not so much the other parts that may attach to those parts.
...but if it is deamed an emissions related part, it could be covered longer unless FORD qualifies it as a routine wear item.
Old 7/15/08, 11:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

I`ve got my X cal II in the glove box so next time it happens I`ll check for a code before shutting it off. As I said only 2 times about 3 months apart just recently has this happened and I ve had the tuner for over 2 yrs now.
Old 7/16/08, 04:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
If memory serves me, you can only check DTC's by shutting the engine off, plugging in the xcal 2, then turning the key to ON when it prompts you to. Don't think you can just check it while the engine's running
Old 7/16/08, 05:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

mine was doing it every so often also. Not every day.... maybe once a week or so. I'll try and find my paper work to see what was replaced
Old 7/16/08, 11:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Cavero
If memory serves me, you can only check DTC's by shutting the engine off, plugging in the xcal 2, then turning the key to ON when it prompts you to. Don't think you can just check it while the engine's running
Yes, I think your right
Old 7/20/08, 12:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
mine was doing it every so often also. Not every day.... maybe once a week or so. I'll try and find my paper work to see what was replaced
Another instance today, what have you found if anything Glenn ?
Thanks, Art
Old 7/20/08, 03:29 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I got a Safe Mode and a few codes that showed that the throttle position sensor was out of alignment. I sprayed the throttle body butterfilies (which had some gunk around the edges) with some carb cleaner. After that, all was well and haven't seen it back since. Maybe that little bit of carbon/gunk could be affecting the sensor, making it think the throttle activation was out of alignment.

Last edited by Hatchman; 7/20/08 at 04:09 AM.
Old 7/21/08, 01:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Hatchman
I got a Safe Mode and a few codes that showed that the throttle position sensor was out of alignment. I sprayed the throttle body butterfilies (which had some gunk around the edges) with some carb cleaner. After that, all was well and haven't seen it back since. Maybe that little bit of carbon/gunk could be affecting the sensor, making it think the throttle activation was out of alignment.
When did you read the codes? Mine didn`t show any. I`m going to try reading the codes next time I get this after shutting it down before a restart.
I like the carb cleaner on the throttle body butterflies. I used to do this on my 91 F150 as it showed carbon build up there.
Old 11/25/08, 04:23 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by I-70 west
When did you read the codes? Mine didn`t show any. I`m going to try reading the codes next time I get this after shutting it down before a restart.
I like the carb cleaner on the throttle body butterflies. I used to do this on my 91 F150 as it showed carbon build up there.
Sorry for the supper late reply, I'm sure you've already fixed this, but in case anyone references this thread, here is the reply:

I read the codes on the DashHawk riding down the road after it popped the check engine light and went into safe mode. The DashHawk shows the code and what it means, and you can clear it as well, pretty cool.

Since then, a Ford mechanic has told me that he has seen nearly every 05 that has come into the shop with a failed TPS sensor doing this. Seems if you have a TPS that is round, it is the old style, and fails a lot, and if it is square, it is the newer "good" kind. So I may go ahead and swap mine out, since my car has some of the symptoms of a bad TPS at times (bogging down, popping TPS codes, throwing check enging lights and safe mode without codes, stumbling a little during acceleration at low RPMs, etc).

Last edited by Hatchman; 11/25/08 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11/25/08, 11:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Hatchman
Sorry for the supper late reply, I'm sure you've already fixed this, but in case anyone references this thread, her is the reply:

I read the codes on the DashHawk riding down the road after it popped the check engine light and went into safe mode. The DashHawk shows the code and what it means, and you can clear it as well, pretty cool.

Since then, a Ford mechanic has told me that he has seen nearly every 05 that has come into the shop with a failed TPS sensor that was doing this. Seems if you have a TPS that is round, it is the old style, and fails a lot, and if it is square, it is the newer "good" kind. So I may go ahead and swap mine out, since my car has some of the symptoms of a bad TPS at times (bogging down, popping TPS codes, throwing check enging lights and safe mode without codes, stumbling a little during acceleration at low RPMs, etc).
Better late than never !
I have yet to fix this and have it occurring more often now. Another member here said his was fixed with a TPS replacement. "Throttle Position Sensor"

Thanks again, Art
Old 12/2/08, 01:13 PM
Bullitt Member

I had this issue only twice...it was over a year ago and has not happened again. Both times it happened when the "set" button of the cruise control was pushed. Pulling to the side of the road, shutting off the engine and restarting fixed the problem both times. It has not re-occured and I'd even forgotten that it had evened happened until reading this post.
Old 12/3/08, 06:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just to keep up to date;
I had a check engine light with the throttle safe mode light come on today. I was unable to get to my dealer with out stopping the engine which reset the throttle safe light but the check engine light was diagnosed as the TPS and the throttle body actuator not working together "DTC p2135" but each tested separately ok. With no procedure to correct this the mechanic put a used TPS from another throttlebody with unrelated problems to see if the TPS is the problem. No charge except labour. I will see what this does for now. If not it looks like a complete throttlebody replacement and I`m passed warrenty. $$$$
Old 12/4/08, 06:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

hope it werks for you
Old 12/31/08, 03:53 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by I-70 west
Just to keep up to date;
I had a check engine light with the throttle safe mode light come on today. I was unable to get to my dealer with out stopping the engine which reset the throttle safe light but the check engine light was diagnosed as the TPS and the throttle body actuator not working together "DTC p2135" but each tested separately ok. With no procedure to correct this the mechanic put a used TPS from another throttlebody with unrelated problems to see if the TPS is the problem. No charge except labour. I will see what this does for now. If not it looks like a complete throttlebody replacement and I`m passed warrenty. $$$$
How did the TPS swap out work for you?
Old 12/31/08, 08:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

So far so good. Its been almost a month and nothing new.