Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Dumptruck + rocks in the road = total suckage

Search this Thread

Old 4/20/12, 03:54 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Dumptruck + rocks in the road = total suckage

Coming home today on a 2 lane road a dump truck with no mud flaps got in front of me and went through about 200 feet of loose gravel that was spilled on the road. Nothing I could do, I had no where to go. The front, hood and front parts of both forward 1/4 panels are chipped like you wouldn't believe. It's disheartening to have a car that did not have one scratch on it to having it trashed in 5 seconds. I have no idea how to even approach fixing this.

Old 4/20/12, 03:56 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Slow down, give the truck 50 yards in front of you. No one was holding a gun to your head making you stick to their bumper...was there?
Old 4/20/12, 04:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
That is it.....pay attention to what is around you.....

As for repair....either talk to insurance or pay out of pocket. Repaint or live with it.....your only two options.
Old 4/20/12, 04:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AzPete
As for repair....either talk to insurance or pay out of pocket. Repaint or live with it.....your only two options.
These really your only options I can think of, if you can spin it off to your insurance somehow to get them to pay for it then kudos to you.
Old 4/20/12, 04:13 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
Slow down, give the truck 50 yards in front of you. No one was holding a gun to your head making you stick to their bumper...was there?
Actually I was being held captive by someone that said he would shoot me unless I found a dump truck to tailgate at high speed.

WTF? Assume much?

I slowed down as soon as the guy switched lanes in front of me and even though he was 3-4 car lengths in front of me my car was getting nailed by debris. Guess I could have locked up the breaks on the rocks and caused an accident with the rush-hour traffic. Thanks Captain obvious for that "helpful" advice.

I actually posted to see if someone knows any procedures or has advice for repairing the damage other than a total repaint.

Last edited by Banjostang; 4/20/12 at 05:00 PM.
Old 4/20/12, 04:15 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Banjostang
Actually I was being held captive by someone that said he would shoot me unless I found a dump truck to tailgate at high speed.

WTF? Assume much?

I slowed down as soon as the guy switched lanes in front of me and even though he was 3-4 car lengths in front of me my car was getting nailed by debris. Guess I could have locked up the breaks on the rocks and caused an accident with the rush-hour traffic. Thanks Captain obvious for that "helpful" advice.

I'm actually posted to see if someone knows any procedures or has advice for repairing the damage other than a total repaint.
LOL...hey, I just posted what two people after me were thinking. You had a choice to save your paint job. You chose to take a rock shower. Wanna be ticked off at someone? Go look in a mirror.
Better yet, take another look at your brand new **** paint job, THEN go look in a mirror. Why didn't you move over, slow down, etc., when the truck was IN THE LANE NEXT TO YOU?? *******.

Last edited by kcoTiger; 4/20/12 at 04:16 PM.
Old 4/20/12, 04:34 PM
Bullitt Member

SUX!
i already bought the clear bra and everything weeks before my car is even here, ahah, it's going to be the first 'mod' i'm doing before i even drive it!!!
Old 4/20/12, 04:57 PM
GT Member

LOL...hey, I just posted what two people after me were thinking. You had a choice to save your paint job. You chose to take a rock shower. Wanna be ticked off at someone? Go look in a mirror.
Better yet, take another look at your brand new **** paint job, THEN go look in a mirror. Why didn't you move over, slow down, etc., when the truck was IN THE LANE NEXT TO YOU?? *******.
Why would anyone choose to "take a rock shower"?

You act like you actually saw what happened.

I'll try to explain it to you like you are a 3 year old.
1. Mustang in r/h lane going speed limit 45. No shoulder or road on right side to immediately turn on to.
2. Dump truck and other cars passing in left lane at a higher rate of speed. Dump truck turns into r/h lane in front of Mustang.
3. Mustang slows down as safely as possible to give him space.
4. Mustang cannot go into L/h lane because other cars are there.
5. Dump truck hits rocks in road and tires throw them like a cloud into the air.
6. All this happens in a matter of seconds. Totally unavoidable.

If you still can't get this I can arrange to send you a finger painting that may assist.

Posting a-holeish comments assuming that you know what actually happened kind of makes you look like a *****.

No worries, internet heros like you are incapable of making me angry. I'm not even mad that the car was damaged. Look up disheartened in the dictionary. Stuff happens. Not pissed at anyone, The truck driver wasn't aiming for the rocks to intentionally damage a car-he was just doing his job driving his truck.

Go find another thread to troll, or go ahead and post your obligitory trollish response which I will promptly ignore.

Sincere thanks to the others that posted helpful comments and advice on repairs. I'm going to see what they can buff/repair first before I consider a re-spray.
Old 4/20/12, 05:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to hear that bud. I don't have any good advice for you unfortunately. Hope you can get it fix without spending a fortune.
Old 4/20/12, 05:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Nice support - your out of line

Last edited by BigR; 4/20/12 at 05:30 PM.
Old 4/20/12, 05:30 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
. I have no idea how to even approach fixing this.

1) Call your insurance under comp,
2) either they or you pursue the company to cover the expense if possible (State laws?),
3) Buy 3m clear mask after its repainted,
4) stay way the hell back no matter what.
Old 4/20/12, 05:34 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco

1) Call your insurance under comp,
2) either they or you pursue the company to cover the expense if possible (State laws?),
3) Buy 3m clear mask after its repainted,
4) stay way the hell back no matter what.
Being in the business,

as long as the dump truck had properly installed mud flaps and an operable cover for the dump bed that was in place if it was carrying a load, you can do nothing.
Old 4/20/12, 05:42 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Being in the business,

as long as the dump truck had properly installed mud flaps and an operable cover for the dump bed that was in place if it was carrying a load, you can do nothing.
Yeah they have to be covered here. So if it wasn't he might have recourse?
Old 4/20/12, 05:43 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by cdynaco

Yeah they have to be covered here. So if it wasn't he might have recourse?
Yes. Would probably need a pic or witness. No need to cover if it was empty though.
Old 4/20/12, 05:43 PM
Cobra Member

Being in the business,

Well he did indicate that the truck had no mud flaps. So does that mean be can possibly pursue the company?
Old 4/20/12, 05:53 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Why would anyone choose to "take a rock shower"?

You act like you actually saw what happened.

I'll try to explain it to you like you are a 3 year old.
1. Mustang in r/h lane going speed limit 45. No shoulder or road on right side to immediately turn on to.
2. Dump truck and other cars passing in left lane at a higher rate of speed. Dump truck turns into r/h lane in front of Mustang.
3. Mustang slows down as safely as possible to give him space.
4. Mustang cannot go into L/h lane because other cars are there.
5. Dump truck hits rocks in road and tires throw them like a cloud into the air.
6. All this happens in a matter of seconds. Totally unavoidable.

If you still can't get this I can arrange to send you a finger painting that may assist.

Posting a-holeish comments assuming that you know what actually happened kind of makes you look like a *****.

No worries, internet heros like you are incapable of making me angry. I'm not even mad that the car was damaged. Look up disheartened in the dictionary. Stuff happens. Not pissed at anyone, The truck driver wasn't aiming for the rocks to intentionally damage a car-he was just doing his job driving his truck.

Go find another thread to troll, or go ahead and post your obligitory trollish response which I will promptly ignore.

Sincere thanks to the others that posted helpful comments and advice on repairs. I'm going to see what they can buff/repair first before I consider a re-spray.
For not being able to make you angry, sure looks like you're getting awful worked up over what I said.

I'm going off of what you said, nothing more. I know that, had it been me, I would have found a way to NOT put my car behind a dump truck on a road covered in loose rocks. Common sense.
Old 4/20/12, 05:54 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by DaSFGiants4Life

Well he did indicate that the truck had no mud flaps. So does that mean be can possibly pursue the company?
Absofreakinglutely!
Old 4/20/12, 06:12 PM
Banned

Absofreakinglutely!
It does?
Old 4/20/12, 06:19 PM
Bullitt Member

For not being able to make you angry, sure looks like you're getting awful worked up over what I said.

I'm going off of what you said, nothing more. I know that, had it been me, I would have found a way to NOT put my car behind a dump truck on a road covered in loose rocks. Common sense.
TROLL!!!
Old 4/20/12, 06:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by McNassty

TROLL!!!
Whoa whoa that's serious. lol

Quick Reply: Dumptruck + rocks in the road = total suckage