Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Car got hit

Search this Thread

Old 4/25/14, 01:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car got hit

Well I started to back out of a parking space got about 3ft back and my son says he can't get his seat belt I stop to help him and then crunch! This lady in a 2014 explorer drags her passenger side doors and rear tire across the back of my car. I was like WTF!!! I get out and she says she didn't see me she was looking the other way. The SP where parked at the back of the parking lot and drive over because they heard crunch. We go threw all the BS stuff and then I get told it was my fault. I was like HUH! She said she didn't see me and was looking the other way and I was not moving! O well hopefully she tells the insurance the same thing. Bent the muffler or bracket, scraped the bumper to hell and its kinda out of place. Looks like I could pop it back in but just decided to drink beer.
Here is the damage to my car which has 4500 miles on it.

Name:  785717A7-DF46-458D-8DA9-7AE8046F7E51_zpsv7h43hed.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  184.7 KB
Name:  4594BAE0-51F7-4C86-969A-2E1B3155B63A_zps9lzrngtv.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  156.3 KB
Name:  E7219529-87EC-4530-B769-41548BEEA08E_zpsgmmmy1w9.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  179.5 KB

Here car

Name:  C26D9B12-397C-42EE-9F41-9694ED66C678_zpsjoygtndl.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  138.0 KB
Old 4/25/14, 02:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Oh man this makes me so angry! Sorry dude. Hopefully she's fixed up like new real soon.
Old 4/25/14, 02:10 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
About 1900 in damage.

Seeing as your paying a deductible, id request new tail lights be put on because of scratches. Of course, I'd ask for the old ones back from the body shop if you get my drift.
Old 4/25/14, 02:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Nooooo!!!! Your poor stang
I feel for you brother
Old 4/25/14, 02:39 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
D-Oh! Man, that sucks. Sorry to hear about this.
"Looks like I could pop it back in but just decided to drink beer."

YES! Germany has best Heffeweisen.
Old 4/25/14, 03:31 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
The scrape marks going from front to back should be a dead giveaway as to who is at fault.
Old 4/25/14, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a bummer. Hope the fix goes well and speedy.
Old 4/25/14, 05:57 PM
GT Member

Ouch... I'm surprised to see an Explorer on German roads as Ford doesn't officially sell them. Is she also military?
I guess the bad news -for both of you- is that parts are not as widely available over there.
Old 4/25/14, 07:53 PM
Cobra Member

Man that sucks, sorry to hear. So many ponies getting damaged lately. Someone let there door bang into mines while parked at work. At least you know who it was. The bumper and muffler can be easily replaced. Good luck.

Last edited by Ajcruz1; 4/26/14 at 07:18 AM.
Old 4/26/14, 12:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Well I hope not to pay my deductible because she said it was her fault will find out sometime this week. It happened on base so she was American.
Kinda wondering about the muffler since it is a the GT500 will they replace it with a stock one or what is on the car?
Thanks everyone
Old 4/26/14, 04:52 AM
GT Member

Over here, it is always decided that the person who is backing out is at fault, regardless of what the other car does. Sort of like rear end collisions where the trailing car is always at fault. Sorry for the accident and hope it gets fixed up soon.
Old 4/26/14, 10:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Nobody? Sigh... I'll do it.

That'll buff right out.

---

I am surprised that you consider her being distracted a thing and yourself being distracted not. Own up to your mistake, and learn from the entire incident... next time your son is having an issue, maybe don't be sticking out of the spot, pull back in and deal with things.

I had to learn this myself in a parking lot. I got in my car, started backing out... BLAP!!

"Oh My God, I ran over a kid!!" - my brain.

I pulled *back in* to the spot, shut the car off, and then got out...

And somehow, in the space of me getting in my car and my backing out, a big orange lumber cart had magically appeared behind my car, putting scrapes and orange paint on the bumper.

I was angry, but relieved. I was distracted, I suppose, and somehow didn't see the freakin' bright orange big *** cart behind my car and backed into it. Either that, or, because I was 'tidying up' to get ready to leave, I didn't see someone be the ******* RIGHT THEN and stick the cart behind my car.

Nonetheless, I cursed the universe for producing the said *******, no matter when they had done that thing (TEND YOUR CARTS, PEOPLE) and moved the cart to the cart corral, then went on with my day. Got the bumper fixed up later.

And *learned from the experience*. I am even more cognizant of my surroundings thanks to that.

And I go around gathering carts near my car as I go in, just in case...

Parking lots are just plain bad for cars. But we must use them. Necessary evils, I suppose.

Ok, I'm done. Laters.

Last edited by houtex; 4/26/14 at 10:36 AM.
Old 4/26/14, 01:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Oh man, I hate to see this. Parking lots are the worst. Here in the states parking lots are considered private property, and the Police usually let the Insurance Companies fight it out. Hopefully you come out OK. Really glad no one was hurt. Good luck.
Old 4/26/14, 11:55 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SSStang
Well I started to back out of a parking space got about 3ft back and my son says he can't get his seat belt I stop to help him and then crunch! This lady in a 2014 explorer drags her passenger side doors and rear tire across the back of my car. I was like WTF!!! I get out and she says she didn't see me she was looking the other way. The SP where parked at the back of the parking lot and drive over because they heard crunch. We go threw all the BS stuff and then I get told it was my fault. I was like HUH! She said she didn't see me and was looking the other way and I was not moving! O well hopefully she tells the insurance the same thing. Bent the muffler or bracket, scraped the bumper to hell and its kinda out of place. Looks like I could pop it back in but just decided to drink beer.
Here is the damage to my car which has 4500 miles on it.
Generally speaking, the person backing up is considered to be the one with the greater duty to ensure the way is clear. It really doesnt matter much on what the oncoming vehicle does - or does not do, thus why SP said you were at fault. It happens all the time in parking lots. It really gets stinky for both parties when both cars are backing out from opposite rows and meet in the middle.

When you stopped, did you put the car in park or did you have your foot on the brake with the car still in reverse at the moment of impact?
Old 4/27/14, 12:07 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SSStang
Well I hope not to pay my deductible because she said it was her fault will find out sometime this week. It happened on base so she was American.
Kinda wondering about the muffler since it is a the GT500 will they replace it with a stock one or what is on the car?
Thanks everyone
Its going to depend on who gets found at fault. If it`s her, then her insurance is liable to replace your vehicle back to the condition it was in just prior to the accident.

If you get found at fault, then it gets tricky. Typically your insurance is only required to replace with like quality as it originally came with from the factory unless you have a policy endorsement for that add on equipment. However, insurance estimates on parts are based on local shop rate wholesale pricing. They might not blink an eye if there isnt much difference. I`d say if it comes down to this route ( you being found at fault ), then it`s 50/50 that they`ll pay for a stock v6 muffler, and you`ll have to pay out of pocket the differnce if you dont have an endorsement

Last edited by lajntx; 4/27/14 at 12:12 AM.
Old 4/27/14, 12:10 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
About 1900 in damage..
Dont forget about that $424 supplement that always follows for the hidden damage that wont be found until after that cover is taken off.
Old 4/27/14, 02:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I can understand you being at fault if you were moving and you hit her, but you were stopped. This is no different than you not pulling all the way into the spot or a longer vehicle sticking out of the spot. She still hit a parked car. This is her fault.
Old 4/27/14, 01:51 PM
Bullitt Member

My back tire was still on the brick kinda like in the pic of her car. I was in reverse foot on the brake not moving dead stop. She basically stated she was turning right while not looking because she was looking toward the guy pushing the cart back. So I maybe bias and not want to pay my deductible but if she says its her fault how could it be mine? O well **** happens and it was a accident.
Thanks for the info and replies
Old 4/27/14, 04:42 PM
GT Member

why did you start driving before your son had his seat belt on???
Old 4/27/14, 08:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by racksteris
why did you start driving before your son had his seat belt on???
Sounds like he went all of 3 feet out of a parking space...

Quick Reply: Car got hit