Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Acceleration auto

Search this Thread

Old 1/19/11, 01:49 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Acceleration auto

Did i get it right auto has similar good acceleration as manual 0-60? Is this true also above 60? If yes how comes? e.g. cause the r.p.m when full presing the gas in auto are as high as manual? If not cause auto change gears earlier what for serve the high r.p.m (until 7000) for the 415? THANKS So i guess get ahaed of another car on highway is in auto as fast as in manual?
Old 1/19/11, 01:59 PM

????????????
Old 1/19/11, 02:09 PM
Cobra R Member

The automatic transmission is geared more aggressively than the manual transmission. It's equally as fast but not as fun to drive, IMO. I really wish it had paddle shifters. Oh well, they should be a shoe-in for the 2014 refresh.
Old 1/19/11, 02:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Adam
The automatic transmission is geared more aggressively than the manual transmission. It's equally as fast but not as fun to drive, IMO. I really wish it had paddle shifters. Oh well, they should be a shoe-in for the 2014 refresh.
Someone should make an aftermarket kit, but I bet the cost would be outrageous. I wonder if its possible though, I would think so given all the electronics on the car.
Old 1/19/11, 02:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My previous car was an '07 Charger, which had the Mercedes NAG1, 5-spd. transmission with the "auto-stick" feature. One of the enterprising guys on the forum found a way to wire-in the Merc. paddle shifters, basically using them as secondary switches for the auto-shift feature.

I suspect that the trans. would have to have the "manual shift" option built-in, before you could easily add paddle-shifters to it.

Then again, just about anything's possible with enough money behind it, right?
Old 1/19/11, 02:52 PM
Bullitt Member

it'll be as quick in a straight line down a drag track

but when you go to a road track with turns...you'll want a manual to choose your own gears

after driving a car with paddle shifters...it's fun for about 1 month...after that you miss the clutch...its a fun little gimmick for a little while

Last edited by LLZuB; 1/19/11 at 02:53 PM.
Old 1/19/11, 02:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by IT_Guru
Someone should make an aftermarket kit, but I bet the cost would be outrageous. I wonder if its possible though, I would think so given all the electronics on the car.
At that point just buy the manual...
Old 1/19/11, 03:08 PM
V6 Member

... one last question (as inspector colombo):-): could the change from 5 to 6 speed be (more) a plus for the auto? smother changes more constant power?.. (paddleshifter were discussed a lot as sticky versus auto, just my experianc,e ppl having paddles not use them often)
Old 1/19/11, 03:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The auto is a 6 speed in the new mustangs.
Old 1/19/11, 04:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by LLZuB
after driving a car with paddle shifters...it's fun for about 1 month...after that you miss the clutch...its a fun little gimmick for a little while
From my experience paddle shifters can be just as fun as a manual transmission as long as they're performance oriented like on the 370Z or 335i. When done incorrectly it's about as fun as driving a PT Cruiser on the autobahn.
Old 1/19/11, 04:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
There was a company making paddle shifter kits for the SN95. Unfortunately the kits looked like cheap video game steering wheels, and I didn't see a point of having paddle shifters for a 4spd auto.
Old 1/19/11, 04:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Hmm I hadn't seen this one before...

http://www.retrotekspeed.com/product...t-paddles.html

Saw this too, wonder if it can be adapted...

http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Shifters/paddle/

Last edited by laserred38; 1/19/11 at 04:48 PM.
Old 1/19/11, 04:55 PM
Cobra Member

From my experience paddle shifters can be just as fun as a manual transmission as long as they're performance oriented like on the 370Z or 335i. When done incorrectly it's about as fun as driving a PT Cruiser on the autobahn.
I agree. Paddle shifters can be veryyyy fun. I had them on a 2008 VW GTI. They were great with the DCT
Old 1/19/11, 06:40 PM
Bullitt Member

I wish Ford would do paddle shifters or at least take this out of the new F150 ford pick up truck that uses the 5.0 motor as one of its options and this auto manual slick looking
SelectShift
Automatic™ transmission
pic
2011 Ford F150 Transmission info

Maybe a different shifter but i love the idea !
Old 1/19/11, 07:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ronin38
My previous car was an '07 Charger, which had the Mercedes NAG1, 5-spd. transmission with the "auto-stick" feature. One of the enterprising guys on the forum found a way to wire-in the Merc. paddle shifters, basically using them as secondary switches for the auto-shift feature.

I suspect that the trans. would have to have the "manual shift" option built-in, before you could easily add paddle-shifters to it.

Then again, just about anything's possible with enough money behind it, right?
The auto does have a munual shift fiture built in... Its, 1, 2 and 3 on the shifter and it locks it into any of those gears. You can do well over 100 mph in third gear so I don't really see it as an issue.
Old 1/19/11, 08:24 PM
Bullitt Member

they were on a 2007 g35s

they were proper...the fun factor just runs out after...and you end up letting it shirt itself after that fun factor is gone

but thats just how I feel about them...to each their own

Last edited by LLZuB; 1/19/11 at 08:25 PM.
Old 1/19/11, 08:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Bottom line is, if you want to row gears, you get a manual.
Old 1/20/11, 07:58 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with Adam on this one. If the Mustang had proper paddle shifters it would be a lot more fun in the automatic. Just needs to be done with the proper sports mode as Adam has already mentioned. When you use the paddle shifters yes, you kind of miss the clutch but you don't miss the timing. Not only that with the proper system, the sport mode will keep the gear engaged like a manual. I haven't driven an auto in the Mustang so I don't know how quick or smooth the gear changes are. When you get tired of shifting, you just pop it back over into automatic and relax.
Old 1/20/11, 04:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Automagically
I agree with Adam on this one. If the Mustang had proper paddle shifters it would be a lot more fun in the automatic. Just needs to be done with the proper sports mode as Adam has already mentioned. When you use the paddle shifters yes, you kind of miss the clutch but you don't miss the timing. Not only that with the proper system, the sport mode will keep the gear engaged like a manual. I haven't driven an auto in the Mustang so I don't know how quick or smooth the gear changes are. When you get tired of shifting, you just pop it back over into automatic and relax.
Under very little throttle at low speeds, the car has a tendency to lurch when it shifts. Under normal driving, shifts are very smooth and only noticable by the change in RPM. High RPM shifts are felt but again smooth. All gear changes are quick with the exception of the 2 to 1 shift, that one is kind of slow.

Last edited by YSUsteven; 1/20/11 at 04:45 PM.
Old 1/20/11, 05:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Hellllooo, and welcome to the weekly thread debating auto vs. manual trans!

Quick Reply: Acceleration auto