Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

$2300 repair on my 2011

Search this Thread

Old 6/3/13, 08:55 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$2300 repair on my 2011

So this week end the AC on my beast goes out. Of course it's the first 100+ degree day of the summer here in "Lovely" Bakersfield. The verdict the AC compressor is toast. Everything must go Compressor is $500+, Labor is $800+ ancillary stuff is another almost $1000.

It just doesn't seem like a 2011 with 40k miles should be having a problem like this. This beast had best remain stress free for a while or this little pony might have to find another home. I've never had a car this new with a repair of this financial magnitude. FRUSTRATING.
Old 6/3/13, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would have thought that it'd be covered under warranty
Old 6/3/13, 09:10 PM
GT Member

You do live in the desert....
Old 6/3/13, 09:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Call the service manager and ask if there's any way to get after-warranty assistance, at least with the parts.
They call it internally "P18" warranty, and each dealership is given a certain amount of money they can assist customers with.

Usually they use that money for customers that bought the car there, do all the maintenance and other servicing there ...
Old 6/3/13, 09:24 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Gabe
Call the service manager and ask if there's any way to get after-warranty assistance, at least with the parts.
They call it internally "P18" warranty, and each dealership is given a certain amount of money they can assist customers with.

Usually they use that money for customers that bought the car there, do all the maintenance and other servicing there ...
That's good information. The guys at Jim Burke have worked hard to keep me happy. I'm sure they will do what they can.
Old 6/3/13, 09:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Eric: Please do not take this as sarcastic or harsh because it is not meant to be that way... I am legitimately trying to help... Every dealer will have some goodwill warranty. Call it P18 or whatever... But from first hand experience Service Managers/Advisors hate the phrase "I just don't think this part should have failed at this age/mileage" because it is often unrealistic. Cars are man made and will break... And your Advisor/Manager is not responsible. But if you are a good servicing customer they likely can get you some help. If you are the type of customer who shows up only for warranty work and or declines all of their recommended repairs you likely will not get much help. Try phrases like "Since I have been a loyal customer and am just out of my warranty is there any assistance there?" Good luck Bro!... Keep us updated...
Old 6/4/13, 07:13 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

What extra parts are needed for $1000. And what amounts to $800 in labor? That seems crazy for a bad compressor
Old 6/4/13, 08:05 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by eric n
So this week end the AC on my beast goes out. Of course it's the first 100+ degree day of the summer here in "Lovely" Bakersfield. The verdict the AC compressor is toast. Everything must go Compressor is $500+, Labor is $800+ ancillary stuff is another almost $1000.

It just doesn't seem like a 2011 with 40k miles should be having a problem like this. This beast had best remain stress free for a while or this little pony might have to find another home. I've never had a car this new with a repair of this financial magnitude. FRUSTRATING.
You bought an extended warranty (ESP) with your car when you first purchased it, didn't you? I trust that every dealer asks every customer during each purchase if they want one. If you did not buy an ESP, then you made a conscious decision to take the responsibility for paying repair expenses after the 3/36 warranty ended.
Old 6/4/13, 09:56 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
You bought an extended warranty (ESP) with your car when you first purchased it, didn't you? I trust that every dealer asks every customer during each purchase if they want one. If you did not buy an ESP, then you made a conscious decision to take the responsibility for paying repair expenses after the 3/36 warranty ended.
Nope I sure didn't. But I do need a condescending lecture from you. THANK YOU!!!

As a note, at no point have i indicated that I wasn't responsible for the repair. Nor have I indicated that I felt it was a rip off. I did indicate my surprise and disappointment. That's all. When a warranty ends whether extended or not, we tend to be less than pleased with large expensive systemic failures. At the least i am. Perhaps i am unique in this respect. Others have kindly offered advice which might save me money, i have in turn indicated that my dealer has always been fair, which is all i expect.

I'm curious if your grandmother tells you she slipped and fell,breaking her hip,is your instinct to tell her that she made a conscious decision to wear those fashionable shoes when she went out,knowing fully well that deck shoes would have a better grip on that sidewalk. Therefore she is fully responsible for her injury? Or do you say, "That's terrible, I'm sorry that happened to you. I hope your recovery is swift and painless."

What if an elderly friend has lung cancer and is dying a slow painful death? Do you lead with, you smoked, you knew the risks. Deal with it. Clearly if you did, you would be 100% correct, and doesn't that feel great.

The empathy with which one responds when faced with the misfortunes of others SOMETIMES indicates the quality of their character. Sometimes they are just having a bad day. While you are absolutely correct (and doesn't that feel good) that i had options during purchase which would have minimized my exposure during this incident, I see no upside in "kicking" a fellow mustang enthusiast while down. Thank you for your fellowship.
Old 6/4/13, 10:39 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by eric n

Nope I sure didn't. But I do need a condescending lecture from you. THANK YOU!!!

As a note, at no point have i indicated that I wasn't responsible for the repair. Nor have I indicated that I felt it was a rip off. I did indicate my surprise and disappointment. That's all. When a warranty ends whether extended or not, we tend to be less than pleased with large expensive systemic failures. At the least i am. Perhaps i am unique in this respect. Others have kindly offered advice which might save me money, i have in turn indicated that my dealer has always been fair, which is all i expect.

I'm curious if your grandmother tells you she slipped and fell,breaking her hip,is your instinct to tell her that she made a conscious decision to wear those fashionable shoes when she went out,knowing fully well that deck shoes would have a better grip on that sidewalk. Therefore she is fully responsible for her injury? Or do you say, "That's terrible, I'm sorry that happened to you. I hope your recovery is swift and painless."

What if an elderly friend has lung cancer and is dying a slow painful death? Do you lead with, you smoked, you knew the risks. Deal with it. Clearly if you did, you would be 100% correct, and doesn't that feel great.

The empathy with which one responds when faced with the misfortunes of others SOMETIMES indicates the quality of their character. Sometimes they are just having a bad day. While you are absolutely correct (and doesn't that feel good) that i had options during purchase which would have minimized my exposure during this incident, I see no upside in "kicking" a fellow mustang enthusiast while down. Thank you for your fellowship.
Lol that's some funny stuff right there.
I would goto another dealer, or another repair facility. I just can't see that $1000 in other parts and 800+ for labor. Compressor price sounds right
Old 6/4/13, 10:41 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
I'm with Eric on this one. Some of you guys need to step off your soapboxes. In his initial post, never did he once blame the dealership or service advisor. He was merely venting as he should.... And it has nothing to do with whether or not he bought the ESP Or whatever. Those of you need to admit that if you guys had a 2011 and something breaks that costs thousands of dollars, you TOO, would be pissed. It's common sense. I'd be livid. Regardless of whether I bought the warranty or not.

I think Eric's frustrations were more directed at the situation or perhaps at ford that things are failing this early. That's it. Take it easy on him. You'd be venting too if this happened to you.
Old 6/4/13, 10:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
If the compressor breaks down it can send shavings throughout the system, so rubber lines, the accumulator/drier and other parts may also need to be replaced.

The Super Duties had this issue a while ago and Ford had a TSB out to replace everything and flush the system ...

The Escape had this issue too, some of the 2010 models.

This now makes me wonder if the Mustang was mentioned in the same TSB ...
Old 6/4/13, 10:54 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by conv_stang
Lol that's some funny stuff right there.
I would goto another dealer, or another repair facility. I just can't see that $1000 in other parts and 800+ for labor. Compressor price sounds right
I totally appreciate your advice and I'm sure it's right on. That said, I am comfortable with the guys at my local Ford dealership and I know that they will do quality work, clearly at a price, but I will ultimately be sure that the repair with be done properly. So, I'll bite the bullet.
Old 6/4/13, 11:17 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry to hear of your issues. As far as extended warrantys, it's a crap shoot, the only reason dealers offer those is because they make a TON of money on them, knowing full well most people will not ever use it or if they do it would be less than they paid in. If they didn't make money on them, they either wouldn't offer them or the prices for them would go up even more.
Old 6/4/13, 12:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Repair bills are never fun, especially when the said repair is a must, in your situation.
I would however, get a 2nd or even 3rd estimate, if possible and perhaps use that as additional input at your local dealer to get the costs down. It sure couldn't hurt.
Good luck and hope the repair is swift.
Old 6/4/13, 12:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

not to make this an argument, but I think it is a fair expectation to NOT have major mechanical failures at only 40,000 miles. just because an ESP wasn't purchased doesn't mean anything. Plus you don't know if Eric is planing on keeping vehicle long time or not which would influence the decision to buy an ESP or not.

I'm sure the dealer will work with you since the car is only 4,000 miles over warranty (just like I'm sure this is so expensive because it is a dealer repair).

And if they don't work with you, then they know they won't have a repeat customer.
Old 6/4/13, 04:56 PM
GT Member

Hi Eric a/c compresser on my 07 gt with 25,00 miles also started to leak, my dealer only had to replace the compressor. The price for the compressor and labor sounds about right for a new not reconditioned unit. I would be leery about the extra $1000.00 charge.
Old 6/4/13, 05:31 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by southern stang
Hi Eric a/c compresser on my 07 gt with 25,00 miles also started to leak, my dealer only had to replace the compressor. The price for the compressor and labor sounds about right for a new not reconditioned unit. I would be leery about the extra $1000.00 charge.

Southern Stang,
I suspect that Gabe had it right when he said, "If the compressor breaks down it can send shavings throughout the system, so rubber lines, the accumulator/drier and other parts may also need to be replaced." This is along the lines of the explanation that I received from my service advisor.

I really have a lot of faith in the guys at Jim burke Ford. They have consistently gone above and beyond to be fair in the past. In the rare instance that I am unhappy with something, they work pretty hard at making me happy.
Old 6/4/13, 05:55 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Price sounds excessive. Had a new compressor put in my Jeep in 09 and it was 600.

I guess inflation and different cars play a factor now? I still think your car is too new to be having this kind of issue. My 11 is coming up on 36k. I'm starting to cringe...

Last edited by Getportfolio; 6/4/13 at 07:56 PM.
Old 6/4/13, 07:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I actually checked book time today. Pays 1.4 to replace compressor. Without Evacuation and Recharge. But I think they are also replacing lots of other parts if the compressor failed. Will have lots of metal filings that contaminate system.

Quick Reply: $2300 repair on my 2011