GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Warning: Upper Strut Bearing Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 1/11/05, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

A FYI for everyone.

First trip to the service dept for me. The "popping noise or clunking noise" in the front end of the new Mustang when you turn the wheel. Definite problem with the upper strut bearing mounts. They're replacing mine as I type this.

If you hear this in your new Mustang, make sure you tell them this when you take it in. Ford apparently knows about it but I don't think they've put out a TSB yet (can someone verify?), which means you'll save the tech time and he won't be wiggling things he doesn't need to mess with if he looks at this first.
Old 1/11/05, 01:21 PM
FR500 Member

I see a trend.....05' owners coming into dealership service deptarments with printouts of TSB's, schematics, diagnostic steps....

I think it's funny and cool at the same time
Old 1/11/05, 01:24 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you can't count on the dearship having the information you need, it's better to provide it for them.
Old 1/11/05, 03:04 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by SixtySix@January 11, 2005, 4:24 PM
I see a trend.....05' owners coming into dealership service deptarments with printouts of TSB's, schematics, diagnostic steps....

I don't seem to share your sense of humour.
Old 1/11/05, 05:22 PM
FR500 Member

More ironic than funny I guess, would this have happened 20 years ago?

My sense of humor gets lost sometimes....
Old 1/11/05, 06:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Keep the techs off or out of my car as much as possible. The last major repair on one of my rides resulted in 1/2 of a tank of gas being used up before I got it back. This will not happen with the 05, if and when I have to have something done.

I have these noises, but not all of the time. I thought my bigger tires may have contributed to this at first, but now the sounds are becoming more frequent.
Old 1/11/05, 07:37 PM
Bullitt Member

SixtySix, I share your sense of humor.

Reminds me of when I walked into the dealership the the car codes and exact price with holdbacks upon ordering my stang.

just proves that you have to be on top of things otherwise you could bet over charged, and even taken advantage of.

I would love to walk into my mechanic with the list of exactly what needs to be fixed, he would be very impressed.
Old 1/12/05, 12:02 AM
Cobra Member

With my last car an '01 Lincoln LS, we had an owners club that interacted directly with Lincoln and even had several of the engineers and marketing folks participating in the forum. Lincoln even provided us with the TSB's and recall information that you could print out and take into the dealership...see LLSOC.com - but you have to be mellow and work with the dealer's service dept's - cause no one likes to be told that the customer knows more about a problem/issue than they do.....we always suggested that our members went to the dealer and worked WITH the dealer rather than sticking a TSB in their face and saying fix it.

Also, ask to see your OASIS report if you know you dealer well and they will print it for you - the OASIS report has all service records at any Ford dealership pertaining to your VIN number and will tell you when it was serviced, any warranty work, recalls, etc., since your cars birthdate.

Back on topic - I have the dreaded "clunk" too and am going to have to have it in for service (a thought I dread)!! I'm wondering if this is going to become a TSB or even a recall as so many seem to have that problem?
Old 1/12/05, 07:25 AM
Bullitt Member

I noticed this noise on one of the GT's I test drove. Happened as the car was parked, and I was preparing to drive off the lot, turning left. Seemed strange at the time, and I decided not to buy that car.
Old 1/13/05, 06:35 AM
V6 Member

I knew I wasn't crazy....I had my 1500 mile check up and told them about this same problem. It only happens when turning in or out of parking spaces at low speeds but they said they couldn't duplicate the sound when they test drove it. Looks like I'll be back up there to have them check it out, although the thought makes me cringe. My cd player was acting up and they pulled it out to look at it and scratched my dash up. Needless to say I wasn't a very happy customer....
Old 1/13/05, 08:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by SixtySix@January 11, 2005, 2:24 PM

LOL Tony from reading your post I can see you doing the same thing. I know I will. I called the dealer asking about one on the fueling problem. He came back that said Ford was aware of the problem and was working on a fix Ford #18258
Old 1/14/05, 09:23 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the post on this Thunderstorm144.
Did it fix the problem? It will save my dealer and me a lot of time if it did the trick..
Old 1/18/05, 12:21 PM
V6 Member

Has anyone else seen this problem. I took mine to the dealer today for this problem, and they were only able to make it pop once. They said they could not find anything when the car was back in the shop, they also ran the VIN and said no TSB have been put out by Ford as of today. They said they checked the bearings and everything seems ok.
Old 1/18/05, 12:50 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by 38special@January 11, 2005, 7:25 PM
Keep the techs off or out of my car as much as possible. The last major repair on one of my rides resulted in 1/2 of a tank of gas being used up before I got it back. This will not happen with the 05, if and when I have to have something done.

I have these noises, but not all of the time. I thought my bigger tires may have contributed to this at first, but now the sounds are becoming more frequent.
That's why whenever I take a car in, it has less than a quarter tank of gas.
Old 1/18/05, 02:06 PM
Cobra Member

This has happened to me as well. Steeda is going to replace my springs to help with the bearing issues. This was a design flaw by Ford. Apparently the springs sets at a bad angle the forces extra stress (instaed of evenly placed stress) on teh bearings

-Bryan
Old 1/18/05, 02:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 2005RedGT@January 18, 2005, 3:09 PM
This has happened to me as well. Steeda is going to replace my springs to help with the bearing issues. This was a design flaw by Ford. Apparently the springs sets at a bad angle the forces extra stress (instaed of evenly placed stress) on teh bearings

-Bryan
hey bryan, have you heard anything back from steeda recently on an ETA for your replacement equipment?
Old 1/19/05, 05:43 AM
Cobra Member

Nope, but I will call today. I call every Wednesday for the last 6 weeks. They love me there
-Bryan
Old 1/19/05, 07:30 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 2005RedGT@January 19, 2005, 6:46 AM
Nope, but I will call today. I call every Wednesday for the last 6 weeks. They love me there
-Bryan
oh i bet.

Old 1/19/05, 08:22 AM
Cobra Member

Per Steeda:

They are 10 days out from having their new springs in hand and ready to deliver - That means they should have them on 2/2. We, as customers should have ours by 2/9.

I might just have to buy another brand. I am so sick of this crap.
Old 1/19/05, 12:05 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by Mongoose@January 13, 2005, 9:57 PM
LOL Tony from reading your post I can see you doing the same thing. I know I will. I called the dealer asking about one on the fueling problem. He came back that said Ford was aware of the problem and was working on a fix Ford #18258
Yup!

I have this problem as well, but I only hear it occasionally when going to near full-lock in either direction in a parking situation.

I gave it a good run through the twisties on Monday, and nothing happened during that. I'll keep an eye on it, but it doesn't really concern me yet.

Quick Reply: Warning: Upper Strut Bearing Mounts