Testing, Help, Site Feedback and Suggestions Test vBulletin's Features and Tell Us What You Like and Don't Like and Offer Suggestions for Improvement

Slow Page Loads? Let us know here....

Search this Thread

Old 6/9/10, 10:54 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Slow Page Loads? Let us know here....

Hey Guys,

It's come to our attention that a few members are having slow response times from the site since we moved servers. We are the only site on a very fast dedicated server and the large majority of our members aren't experiencing connection issues so there must be a problem either with your ISP or a service provider along the way.

Thanks to Rather B.Blown I have a lead and I'm hoping you guys can help me out with it.

If your having a connection problem please perform a trace route to the server and post the results in this thread.
How do you do a trace route? On a Windows box do the following....
1. Open a command line by pressing the start button and in the search/run box type CMD
2. Then type the following into the black command box: tracert forums.themustangsource.com

If the trace route is successful it should show "hops" all the way through to 174.36.18.64-static.reverse.softlayer.com

One or two requests time outs is not idea but usually not a problem.
If you get a lot of request time outs then tell me what was the last hop before that error. Was it Level3?

Just knowing where it's failing will help us and then we can attempt to correct the issue with the ISP directly.

Thanks.
Old 6/9/10, 11:18 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 609 Likes on 438 Posts
Just to add to the above, if you are computer illiterate like me, watch this video I found on how to do it.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY-R0tdv59Y I then took a screen shot of the results when it was finished and put it on photobucket.
Old 6/10/10, 09:01 AM
GT Member

Folks, we really could use a few more data points on this before we bring it up with such a large ISP. If your having extremely long page load times please let us know and try to do the test noted above.

Thanks!
Old 6/10/10, 06:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Mine's fine. Been fine. Did the tracert and it's goin' through comcast (naturally), then networklayer.com.

In case that helps.
Old 6/10/10, 09:44 PM
GT Member

it helps to know that not everyone is having a speed issue (I know most people aren't).

Thanks!
Old 6/10/10, 09:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I can relate a story regarding a similar issue with a game...

At the forums of City Of Heroes I used to roam the technical section helping people. (Kinda hadda stop, it was taking up too much time.)

But in there was a guy who played that was from Alaska. Long story short, his ISP had to change their backbone provider because from Alaska, the old backbone bounced down into Canada, then over to *China*, then back to the States before it hit the either coast servers. (One half is in California, the other in Virginia)

---

My saying that is to point out that while the forums here may not be an issue, the ads may be the problem, in that the path taken by the backbone servers might not be what they should be. Tracert on the forums will not be the same as to Google Analytics (which is where some of the banners are showing up from.)

Also, as I write this, the current banner is the F150 with Mike Rowe, and hovering over it will cause a video to play. I dunno when that's loaded, but for those with less than 2M DSL, it can't be fun to wait for it. And it's definitely not being stored here.

Perhaps a shuffle in the order of the banner's loading? If that's possible... make it the last (or close to it) thing that the page loads? Don't make the text wait?

/I dunno... just throwing ideas out.
Old 6/10/10, 10:38 PM
GT Member

I just changed some settings on the ad serving side. Let me know if it helps.
Old 6/11/10, 07:34 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

So far today, its back to normal for me.
Old 6/11/10, 08:35 PM
GT Member

Well, that's good to hear. Maybe the change fixed it?
Old 6/23/10, 07:12 AM
FR500 Member

This site has been slow to load for me for about the past 18 hours or so.

tracert is giving me timeouts for every hop but the last one, #14 (124/101/187 ms at IP 174.36.18.64-static.reverse.softlayer.com)

NOTE: My setup doesn't allow scripts from Google, so in theory I shouldn't be waiting for ads to load either.

Last edited by PTRocks; 6/23/10 at 07:21 AM.
Old 6/23/10, 07:17 AM
GT Member

Do you know how to do a traceroute? If so can you do one to the site and see where the lag is coming in since the server has a low load and seems fast to me. Thanks.
Old 6/23/10, 07:23 AM
FR500 Member

double post

Last edited by PTRocks; 6/23/10 at 07:25 AM.
Old 6/23/10, 07:24 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Nathan W
Do you know how to do a traceroute? If so can you do one to the site and see where the lag is coming in since the server has a low load and seems fast to me. Thanks.
I was doing just that while you replied, (see my post above). Sorry for being slow off the mark. In addition, my browser in showing a lot of 'waiting for forums.themustangsource.com...' while the page elements are loading.
Old 6/23/10, 07:27 AM
GT Member

It's not an ad load issue. It's an ISP that is having problems routing traffic to the site for some reason. Usually this is cleared up within 24 hours by most ISPs but if not either you can request your ISP check it out or I can open up a ticket with out data center and see if they can contact your ISP. Lets wait a few more hours and then give that a try.
Old 6/23/10, 09:56 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine continues to 'hang' about 50% of the time and I have to hit refresh - sometimes twice. Usually my other tabs are loading other sites fine.

Although yesterday Hughes was having challenges across the board.

I have blocked the ad banners and the space doesn't even show so apparently it is an issue between TMS server company and Hughes servers.
Old 6/23/10, 10:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Nathan W
It's not an ad load issue. It's an ISP that is having problems routing traffic to the site for some reason. Usually this is cleared up within 24 hours by most ISPs but if not either you can request your ISP check it out or I can open up a ticket with out data center and see if they can contact your ISP. Lets wait a few more hours and then give that a try.
Got one pic. in my garage, and won't let me upload anymore. Says file too big, but they are under 2MBs.
Old 6/23/10, 10:26 AM
GT Member

The attachment limit is 1MB I believe.
Old 6/23/10, 11:28 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by GJM20115.0
Got one pic. in my garage, and won't let me upload anymore. Says file too big, but they are under 2MBs.
Why load such large files? It just slows everything down for all of us.

Some of us have daily MB restrictions by our ISP and everytime I open a thread that has massive pics causes me to close the thread and sometimes leave the site. Cause I'm not going to waste my bandwidth on somebody's dumb pics. So I'm not seeing your pics anyway.

I resize every pic I post to 8x6 and 72pixel/inch. Some I frame larger to 10x12 but keep the same 72pixel/inch. Since your source file is larger it will still show crisp. My website software says that there's no reason to load a print quality file to a website - it doesn't show any clearer. And after having my own site for 12 years with dozens of horse pics (and some cars now) and happy customers I can attest that is correct.

Right click for properties

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/23/10 at 11:39 AM.
Old 7/25/10, 05:58 PM
Post *****

Sorry guys but the site continues to get worse on loading.
Now I have to hit a button or refresh 2 and 3 times most all of the time. At first it was about half the time but whether its to open a post, edit, or quote, the page sits there and looks at me. (At this same moment I can open any other tabs and the sites load promptly - telling me my connection thru Hughes is working normal.) Then I hit refresh and after a few seconds, bam! The whole batch of packets hits and loads.
Your server company has a problem because I do not have this issue on any of the myriad of pages I surf each day.
I'm not enough of a techie to know what to tell you. But I excel at surfing and how its supposed to look and act, so I know you have got a glitch somewhere somehow.

Last edited by cdynaco; 7/25/10 at 06:28 PM.
Old 7/26/10, 01:35 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Sorry guys but the site continues to get worse on loading.
Now I have to hit a button or refresh 2 and 3 times most all of the time. At first it was about half the time but whether its to open a post, edit, or quote, the page sits there and looks at me. (At this same moment I can open any other tabs and the sites load promptly - telling me my connection thru Hughes is working normal.) Then I hit refresh and after a few seconds, bam! The whole batch of packets hits and loads.
Your server company has a problem because I do not have this issue on any of the myriad of pages I surf each day.
I'm not enough of a techie to know what to tell you. But I excel at surfing and how its supposed to look and act, so I know you have got a glitch somewhere somehow.
It was acting up yesterday with me, but its been fine today/tonight.

Quick Reply: Slow Page Loads? Let us know here....