Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Wheel refinishing?

Search this Thread

Old 1/22/17, 11:15 AM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
Wheel refinishing?

My stock Brembo wheels are starting to look a little rough. The factory finish is pitting and black splotches are showing through. I assume it is a combination of brake dust and heat that is eating the finish. I like the look of the stock wheels and was thinking about refinishing them. Does anyone have any experience with wheel refinishing? I was thinking about powder coating, but not sure if the curing process would harm the wheels.
Old 1/22/17, 12:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Powder coating is the way to go. The sky is the limit for your choices. If you do a single, solid color, you should be looking at about 100-150 per wheel. Most shops use prismatic powder:

https://www.prismaticpowders.com/powder-coating-colors/
Old 1/22/17, 01:17 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Thanks, I wasn't sure if the heat of curing would affect the temper of the aluminum or not. I will probably buy another set of wheels to run while I send these out. It would be nice to have a second set for the track.
Old 1/22/17, 02:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by EF1
Thanks, I wasn't sure if the heat of curing would affect the temper of the aluminum or not. I will probably buy another set of wheels to run while I send these out. It would be nice to have a second set for the track.
Not at all. Actually it's kinda common on the 2011-2012 Brembo wheels. They made the finish a little different on the 2013-2014, supposedly more durable. Mine have little nicks here and there from daily driving, but the finish has is fine. They're also a little darker than the 11-12.
Old 1/22/17, 05:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
I have wheels refinished at the dealership I work at all the time!
It holds up really well!
Will last at least as long as your factory coating lasted if done right!
The thing that hurts the finish the most is long term brake dust!
So if you wash your car weekly on a daily driver they will last a very longtime, but if you leave the brake dust on there for even a couple weeks it starts to eat the finish on any rim!
Old 1/22/17, 06:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by ElkGroveFordGuy
I have wheels refinished at the dealership I work at all the time!
It holds up really well!
Will last at least as long as your factory coating lasted if done right!
So if you wash your car weekly on a daily driver they will last a very longtime, but if you leave the brake dust on there for even a couple weeks it starts to eat the finish on any rim!
Yep. I advise to ceramic coat the wheels once you get them back. It'll keep them cleaner and protected much longer.
Old 1/22/17, 06:17 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Yep. I advise to ceramic coat the wheels once you get them back. It'll keep them cleaner and protected much longer.
What do you mean by ceramic coating after refinishing?
Old 1/22/17, 07:25 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by ElkGroveFordGuy
Dust is definitely the culprit. A lot of performance pads like the HPS/+ will cause this. This was one of the reasons I went with Carbotech originally. They advertise their pads leave non-corrosive dust.
Old 1/22/17, 07:28 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Dust is definitely the culprit. A lot of performance pads like the HPS/+ will cause this. This was one of the reasons I went with Carbotech originally. They advertise their pads leave non-corrosive dust.
Thanks, it sounds like I either need to clean my wheels more or find another pad compound. The cars is 6 years old now, so I guess the finish held up pretty good.