Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

strut tower brace

Search this Thread

Old 10/25/16, 01:21 PM

Received 287 Likes on 210 Posts
strut tower brace

I bought a SR strut tower brace from american muscle, got here yesterday. As I was starting to install it, I saw that it sits awfully high in the engine compartment. (yes I have it facing the right direction!) So I can see that its very close to interfering with the hood, and the hood pad, so I mark it with white out, and close the hood. Sure enough, Its touching in many places. I have gotten ahold of AM and I am getting a different brace, but I was wondering why this comes so close? I know it is made to clear the bigger manifolds, but it shouldn't be rubbing. Does the ones on your cars rub?
Old 10/25/16, 03:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
HarleyCharlie,

It seems most of what I read before getting mine was whether the various struts would go over certain manifolds - never read anything about your issue. I got the same one that's used in the Boss for my GT (and also got the CobraJet intake). There were people who said it would fit (it did), others that said it might need modifications and even others that said it wouldn't fit their car with the same setup. So, I guess there are various differences in each car - however small that are in play when considering which strut to get? But I can't remember anyone having an issue like yours. Hope the replacement works Ok for you.
The following users liked this post:
harleycharlie 1992 (10/25/16)
Old 10/27/16, 05:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Mine came from the factory so no it doesnt rub, but if I do any upgrades then it will have to be swapped out.
Old 10/28/16, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Rog13GTCS
Mine came from the factory so no it doesnt rub, but if I do any upgrades then it will have to be swapped out.
I have the factory one coming, so I'm pretty sure this problem will be over, I just wonder how many people have put this brace on and haven't checked the hood clearance, and its slowly rubbing a hole in their hood pad, and causing a bad vibration noise against the hood. Oh well
Old 10/28/16, 02:05 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is also possible that the one you received was made "incorrectly" - ie some of the cuts were longer or shorter than exact & cause the bar to be higher.

I don't know & I am not trying to argue - I'm just saying the bars are hand made, I would assume, so there are always variances to consider.
Old 10/28/16, 02:11 PM

that is very possible that it is made wrong. I do doubt that they are hand made though. I'm quite sure they are robotically assembled and welded. but all made in China, I bet. I don't have another to compare with so. I do have a different style one coming and I am sure that will fit. It will be here Monday. American Muscle is pretty good about returns, at least as far as I've seen. The trouble is, I seem to always have to send one back to getr a right whatever that I buy.
Old 11/3/16, 10:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have one I'm selling that I removed when I installed my cobra-jet manifold.
PM me if interested.
The following users liked this post:
harleycharlie 1992 (11/6/16)
Old 11/6/16, 12:40 PM

well, I installed my new brace yesterday. One from Ford racing. It fits well, lots of hood clearance, and it makes such a difference on the car. Steering is more accurate, and it handles much more fluidly. I am pleased, thanks for all the imput!