GT

Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10/19/16, 10:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Post Suspension

Does the suspension on our S550 feel a bit loose? Or is it just me?

I don't have any suspension mods yet.

My car is non PP. It's comfortable, but i think the steering wheel feels a bit loose or wiggly. I don't know if that makes any sense. (I did change the steering wheel to sport and that firmed it up a bit, but not much)

Also i just got brand new tires. Wheels are 19" premium (the black ones) 19x9 front and 19x9.5 rear. 255 front tires, 285 rear tires.

Last edited by iceD; 10/19/16 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10/25/16, 11:19 AM
GT Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Strangely Enough

you are not alone in your thinking. Hundreds, better Thousands of S550 owners reported their cars feeling loose, underdamped, floaty, soft, and other descriptions.

Keep us updated on the changes you make in search of that perfect suspension.
Old 10/25/16, 12:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Reported where? To dealers? Ford? or just forums?

I am wanting to get lowering springs and sway bars.

I already got the strut bar and brace installed.
Old 10/25/16, 01:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine has the PP, and it didn't feel planted enough for me. See my mods list below for what I have done to lower the car, stiffen up the suspension, and get rid of the slop in the rear end. Here's a picture of how she sits now.
Attached Thumbnails Suspension-1343039small.jpg  

Last edited by Torsen; 10/25/16 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10/25/16, 03:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Im pretty sure the PP's are way better than non-pp. Either way we all need those suspension mods to take it to the next level.

However, might i add that i expected the stock suspension to be much much better than the previous gens. But i was massively disappointed. I don't know if it's just my car, or every non-PP S550 out there. But whatever this is, is not good.

Last edited by iceD; 10/25/16 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10/25/16, 08:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have my complete PP suspension that I removed from my 2016 last week. Struts, shocks, springs, and sway bars. Just saying...
Old 10/28/16, 08:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mine's not an S550, but thought I'd share opinion.

There were two (if I remember correctly) threads made by me a while back asking about the loose STEERING WHEEL feel, the last one being after the new set of tires. It was exactly how you described here '...feels a bit loose or wiggly'.

The Sport mode will firm up, yes, but this feeling is still there.

Did the suspension mods (coilovers, sway bars, panhard bars, control arms, relocation brackets) and in a sense, it made the 'steering loose feel' even more pronounced - now that the related descriptions (soft, floaty...) of stock car are mostly gone.

The NEW set of tires 'can' also change how the steering feels, possibly wider the more. I have experienced it. A good advise from fellow Stangers was that some factory chemicals on the surface of new tires may feel slippery at first, but will wear out over time.

Since then, I've came across what's called the 'Bump-Steer' Kit. I'm hearing tons of debate on these parts however - from 'can we improve steering wheel feel' to 'do we really need these'. More research.

So, how the Steering wheel behave or feel on our cars seem more related to 'steering' itself rather than suspension upgrades altogether. At least that's what I've come to believe. Most importantly, it feels loose compared to what. How about BMW's? They are quite well balanced cars out of factory, I've driven a few of them including the M's. The steering on these cars felt... precise, and heavy. But how? and why? Something to think about.

Having said such, it is quite disappointing to hear our new generation of cars still fall short even with the IRS change. And I don't want to watch another youtube video of Mustang crash. Enough of that, really.
Old 10/28/16, 08:34 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
While plenty of enthusiasts enjoy the Mustang, the vast majority are still folks who view a car more as an appliance and buy the Mustang based on looks alone. A lot of the "flaws" in the ride are baked in to appease that large majority.
Old 10/29/16, 09:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Great info. I mean im not comparing our stangs to bmw's and what not. But it's just that the handling part is scary. Even with the independent rear suspension, it's not gotten any better.
Old 11/16/16, 12:38 PM
GT Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I know a lot of the guys in the Omaha area ( Nebraska is strong Mustang territory ) have put on a set of Koni sports , as the stock suspension was just wallowing around in tight turns and under hard braking while Autocrossing at the Solo Nationals site in Lincoln , Nebraska. Surprisingly most of the guys/gals are running the GTs in the F Street Class , so not a lot of mods available , but the inclusion of the Konis changed the entire complexion of the cars.
Old 2/23/17, 02:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GT Suspension upgrade coming

I ordered the Ford Racing Track handling kit and am installing it next Thursday - I can't wait! I was told by a few people that my car will outperform the pp model.
Old 2/24/17, 07:38 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
The S197 and 550 platforms NEED more damping. The shocks/struts (along with stock factory spring rates, even on the PP) are too soft. By a lot. And the shocks don't handle left/right transitions very well.

Thankfully the Mustang is one of the best supported cars in the aftermarket community.
Old 3/3/17, 07:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Torsen
Mine has the PP, and it didn't feel planted enough for me. See my mods list below for what I have done to lower the car, stiffen up the suspension, and get rid of the slop in the rear end. Here's a picture of how she sits now.

Tail of the dragon?
Old 3/4/17, 03:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Love my new setup

I am definitely happy with the new setup. The car feels much tighter and it wants to be pushed harder in the turns - this is what I wanted the most. The one inch drop makes my car look meaner for sure. The bumps don't seem much different than before, so that's a definite plus. I've only driven her about 10 miles, so I'll know more once this snow weather stops.
Old 3/5/17, 05:24 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where is your list of mods?

Originally Posted by Torsen
Just curious about what the mods are, and what are the wheels and tires you have? Thanks!
Old 3/5/17, 05:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Here's the list and a link

• (2) Front Track Struts
  • (2) Rear Track Shocks
  • (2) Front Lowering Springs
  • (2) Rear Lowering Springs
  • (1) Swaybar Kit (front and rear)
  • (1) Jounce Bumper Kit
  • (1) Set Toe Link To Knuckle Bearings
I ordered it from LMR, but American Muscle and CJ have it as well.

here's the link:
https://lmr.com/item/MFR3AM8/2015-Mustang-GT-Ford-Racing-Handling-Pack-M-FR3A-M8