Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Rear suspension noise - any ideas?

Old 10/18/16, 04:54 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
Rear suspension noise - any ideas?

My 2011 GT has developed a rattle/clanking noise in the rear when going over stutter bumps. I have checked the upper/lower shock bolts, sway bar bushings, lower control arms, pan hard bar, and upper control arm. Everything is tight with no noticeable movement. I have banged around with a rubber hammer to see if I can get any noise and everything is quiet. The car has been lowered with Steeda sport springs, and has billet lower control arms, adjustable upper control arm, and adjustable pan hard bar. The suspension was in the car a little over a year before the noise started. I know that Koni had some issues with oranges awhile back and am beginning to wonder if it is the shocks themselves. Does anyone have any ideas on what else I should check before changing out the shocks?
Old 10/18/16, 07:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
I'm thinking possibly urethane bushings. The bushings on my BMR A-arms elongated and created a lot of clunking/shaking. Didn't notice it shaking by hand, eventually found it when I had the extra leverage by shaking the wheels back and forth. You might have to use a pry bar (pad it up so you don't chip the powdercoat on the parts) to get enough leverage to find your noise. Sometimes shaking by hand or even a rubber mallet won't be enough.
Old 10/18/16, 08:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I had 2 instances of similar noises and my set up is similar to yours. Once it was one of the bolts on my upper control arm had become loose. The other was a bushing in the lower control arm had gone dry. I sent steeda a message on this site and they sent me another one. Had it installed and the noise was gone.
Old 10/19/16, 04:54 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
I had 2 instances of similar noises and my set up is similar to yours. Once it was one of the bolts on my upper control arm had become loose. The other was a bushing in the lower control arm had gone dry. I sent steeda a message on this site and they sent me another one. Had it installed and the noise was gone.
I have checked all the bolts on the upper and lower control arms, but have not pulled the bushings to check. It doesn't feel like the control arm bushings are loose. How did you know the bushing had gone dry and needed replacing?
Old 10/19/16, 05:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by EF1
I have checked all the bolts on the upper and lower control arms, but have not pulled the bushings to check. It doesn't feel like the control arm bushings are loose. How did you know the bushing had gone dry and needed replacing?
I had a squeaking noise and had exhausted every other option.
The following users liked this post:
EF1 (10/19/16)
Old 10/19/16, 06:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
If all the suspension parts are tight, and it just started making noise, and there wasn't noise when they were installed ... then it is hard to diagnose.

The shocks would be a good starting point or the aforementioned.

Keep us updated if you can find anything in the next couple of days.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 10/19/16, 08:06 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
If all the suspension parts are tight, and it just started making noise, and there wasn't noise when they were installed ... then it is hard to diagnose.

The shocks would be a good starting point or the aforementioned.

Keep us updated if you can find anything in the next couple of days.

Best Regards,

TJ
I have been trying to get to the bottom of it for a couple of months now. I have checked everything that I can think of. Part of it was one of the upper shock nuts starting to come loose, but after tightening I still get a clanking or rattle sound on stutter bumps. It was noticeable at Caroling Motorsports Park this weekend when crossing the concrete getting on grid. The car feels good, but the noise is bothering me. What type of sound did the bad Koni oranges make?

Search this Thread