Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 10/17/16, 01:18 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
Exhaust Advice Needed

I'm currently running Magnaflow Streets with stock cats and mid X pipe, however under 3k rpm in 4th-5th gears, inside the cabin is way too loud while outside the cabin isn't quite loud enough..

So I'm looking into replacing them with either Borla Stingers "S" type, Roush Extremes or SLP PowerFlo's.. IIRC these provide the least amount of cabin drone but also provide the best deep and aggressive exhaust tone which I'm looking for..

I'm sort of leaning more towards the SLP PowerFlo's as they're manufactured by Roush, but not quite as loud as their Extremes and also available in T-304 grade SS which I also prefer over T-409 SS..

Anyway I intend on sticking with both my stock cats and mid X and would like some opinions/feedback from anyone as to which would provide the least amount of cabin drone..

-Rocky
Old 10/17/16, 02:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
IMO you should take the stingers and mid mount them staggered. This will give you the deepest and best sound. The reason why you can't get that old school muscle sound is there is no pipe between the mufflers and tips. Staggering them will help prevent any drone.
Old 10/17/16, 03:11 PM

I'm not at all familiar with mid mounting, so my question is this.. Do the mid pipes require replacing or cutting ? If they require cutting, then cutting is most definitely not an option I'd be interested in..

If you can provide a non-cutting option, I would definitely be interested in a mid mounted, staggered option for either Borla Stingers, MBRP axle backs or my first choice with SLP PowerFlo's manufactured by Roush..
Old 10/18/16, 11:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
I'm not at all familiar with mid mounting, so my question is this.. Do the mid pipes require replacing or cutting ? If they require cutting, then cutting is most definitely not an option I'd be interested in..

If you can provide a non-cutting option, I would definitely be interested in a mid mounted, staggered option for either Borla Stingers, MBRP axle backs or my first choice with SLP PowerFlo's manufactured by Roush..
Yes it involves cutting and welding but I did mine after the midpipe connections on the over axle pipes. It cost me $50 at a local shop to weld in my resonators. Why are you not wanting to cut the exhaust?

If the mufflers are narrow enough there is more than enough length on the over axle pipes. You can't even see the midpipe connection in the frame.

Name:  IMG_36791_zpsa0cmtsvj.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  2.46 MB

Last edited by 07 Boss; 10/18/16 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10/18/16, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by 07 Boss
Yes it involves cutting and welding but I did mine after the midpipe connections on the over axle pipes. It cost me $50 at a local shop to weld in my resonators. Why are you not wanting to cut the exhaust?

If the mufflers are narrow enough there is more than enough length on the over axle pipes. You can't even see the midpipe connection in the frame.

In that case, I'll locate a local shop and have them perform the work, as I don't have access to a welder nor do I have anything to cut exhaust piping with either..

Btw: What brand did you select for your resonators ?
Old 10/18/16, 02:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

In that case, I'll locate a local shop and have them perform the work, as I don't have access to a welder nor do I have anything to cut exhaust piping with either..

Btw: What brand did you select for your resonators ?
I'm an old fart so I went with the old school Cherry Bombs which you see mid-mounted and then I have Outlaws in the back. If I were to do it again I would probably do mid-mounted Stingers with just a straight pipe in the back. I think that would give it that old school rumble that I miss.
The following users liked this post:
tbear853 (10/26/16)
Old 10/18/16, 05:53 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I'm an old fart so I went with the old school Cherry Bombs which you see mid-mounted and then I have Outlaws in the back. If I were to do it again I would probably do mid-mounted Stingers with just a straight pipe in the back. I think that would give it that old school rumble that I miss.
Not having ever done this or heard this on a car it does sound like a really good idea. I hate the axle backs and wish the mufflers were mid mounted. Mid mounted stingers would sound good on the 3v i think.
Old 10/18/16, 08:52 PM

At 58 ! I suppose that's also considered an old fart as well, at least to some anyhow lol.

I also remember the old school Cherry Bombs from the last century too and think your idea of running them mid mounted would seem to definitely solve the drone issues while also provide that old school rumble by running a straight pipe in the back..

As for doing a mid-mounted stinger setup goes, If your referring to Borla Stingers as in "S" type.. Being as the tips are welded on as opposed to clamps, how could they be mid-mounted unless you end up cutting the tips off ?

Anyhow I hope that somehow I misinterpreted your definition of mid-mounted stingers
Old 10/18/16, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Not having ever done this or heard this on a car it does sound like a really good idea. I hate the axle backs and wish the mufflers were mid mounted. Mid mounted stingers would sound good on the 3v i think.

That was Ford's better idea, as I also hate axle backs as well lol.
Old 10/19/16, 01:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,022 Posts
I am really surprised that the Magnaflow Street mufflers are giving you drone. Those are the rectangular ones, right? I had those on my car for a while and they were completely drone free, though a bit too quiet for my taste.

I guess it might be the X-pipe that is causing the drone. If so, then any louder muffler will probably make it worse, not better.

I don't have any experience with the mid-mounted mufflers so I can't comment on that; but just wanted to mention the above.
Old 10/20/16, 09:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

At 58 ! I suppose that's also considered an old fart as well, at least to some anyhow lol.

I also remember the old school Cherry Bombs from the last century too and think your idea of running them mid mounted would seem to definitely solve the drone issues while also provide that old school rumble by running a straight pipe in the back..

As for doing a mid-mounted stinger setup goes, If your referring to Borla Stingers as in "S" type.. Being as the tips are welded on as opposed to clamps, how could they be mid-mounted unless you end up cutting the tips off ?

Anyhow I hope that somehow I misinterpreted your definition of mid-mounted stingers
Well were from the same era. No you understood correctly. Yes you have to cut the tips to mid-mount them. Or you can find another straight through "bullet" type muffler. I didn't do it but staggering them a bit will cut down on the resonance that causes drone. I had just the slightest bit of drone but I put the resonators in to get rid of the unrefined tone axle backs tend to give you. My exhaust is still loud as can be, just sounds better.

Originally Posted by Bert
I am really surprised that the Magnaflow Street mufflers are giving you drone. Those are the rectangular ones, right? I had those on my car for a while and they were completely drone free, though a bit too quiet for my taste.

I guess it might be the X-pipe that is causing the drone. If so, then any louder muffler will probably make it worse, not better.

I don't have any experience with the mid-mounted mufflers so I can't comment on that; but just wanted to mention the above.
Magnaflows have some of the worse rep out there as far as drone goes but I don't have any personal experience with them. Every car set up is going to be different as far as when or how bad drone can be. Lots of factors play into that. My car used to drone worse at 2K rpms with the AC on. When it was off it was barely noticeable.
m05fastbackGT (10/21/16)
Old 10/20/16, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bert

Yes ! your correct, the Magnaflow street axle backs are the rectangular shaped ones..

As for the X pipe causing the drone, I highly doubt that as I'm also still running my stock cats along with the mid X.. Now if I were running a chambered muffler like Flowmaster with an X pipe, I would most definitely agree about the X causing the drone.. However being as Magnaflow's are a straight thru design, they're supposedly highly recommended for being paired up with X pipes, while chambered mufflers are best suited for H pipes..

I always end up getting drone mostly when cruising between 1500-2200 RPM in 5th gear on the highway at 55-65 MPH and locally in 4th gear above 2200 RPM which doesn't make any sense at all, as higher RPM's should reduce drone, not increase it when running in a higher gear

Well were from the same era. No you understood correctly. Yes you have to cut the tips to mid-mount them. Or you can find another straight through "bullet" type muffler. I didn't do it but staggering them a bit will cut down on the resonance that causes drone. I had just the slightest bit of drone but I put the resonators in to get rid of the unrefined tone axle backs tend to give you. My exhaust is still loud as can be, just sounds better.
I'm glad that I didn't misunderstand and that were both on the same page..

I was also able to locate at least 2 other straight through "bullet" type muffler in which the tips are clamped on and not welded.. SLP Powerflo's and Roush off road axle backs w/o tips.. Therefore either one should work out just fine in a mid mounted setup, or even better yet, "Pypes" actually offers a mid muffler setup, so that's always another option as well..

I do have a question for you though.. In order to run an axle back "bullet" type muffler as mid mounted, how are they installed using the existing hanger brackets designed for the stock hangers located behind the rear axle.. Won't the brackets welded on the mufflers require cutting or somehow re-adjusted in order to re-locate them from behind the rear axle over to the mid section of the vehicle

Magnaflows have some of the worse rep out there as far as drone goes but I don't have any personal experience with them. Every car set up is going to be different as far as when or how bad drone can be. Lots of factors play into that. My car used to drone worse at 2K rpms with the AC on. When it was off it was barely noticeable.
I totally agree, as every setup is indeed different, as design, materials and manufacturing are all considered factors.. Also when running an off-road setup or long tube headers will also determine when or how bad drone can be as well..

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/20/16 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10/20/16, 05:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yes ! your correct, the Magnaflow street axle backs are the rectangular shaped ones..

As for the X pipe causing the drone, I highly doubt that as I'm also still running my stock cats along with the mid X.. Now if I were running a chambered muffler like Flowmaster with an X pipe, I would most definitely agree about the X causing the drone.. However being as Magnaflow's are a straight thru design, they're supposedly highly recommended for being paired up with X pipes, while chambered mufflers are best suited for H pipes..

I always end up getting drone mostly when cruising between 1500-2200 RPM in 5th gear on the highway at 55-65 MPH and locally in 4th gear above 2200 RPM which doesn't make any sense at all, as higher RPM's should reduce drone, not increase it when running in a higher gear

I'm glad that I didn't misunderstand and that were both on the same page..

I was also able to locate at least 2 other straight through "bullet" type muffler in which the tips are clamped on and not welded.. SLP Powerflo's and Roush off road axle backs w/o tips.. Therefore either one should work out just fine in a mid mounted setup, or even better yet, "Pypes" actually offers a mid muffler setup, so that's always another option as well..

I do have a question for you though.. In order to run an axle back "bullet" type muffler as mid mounted, how are they installed using the existing hanger brackets designed for the stock hangers located behind the rear axle.. Won't the brackets welded on the mufflers require cutting or somehow re-adjusted in order to re-locate them from behind the rear axle over to the mid section of the vehicle

I totally agree, as every setup is indeed different, as design, materials and manufacturing are all considered factors.. Also when running an off-road setup or long tube headers will also determine when or how bad drone can be as well..

I've heard a few who liked the pypes, I think it's with the M80's.

If the muffler has hangers just cut them off. And if it's a clamp style I would still weld. Just adds a little more rigidity and not so many points where it can leak or flex.
m05fastbackGT (10/21/16)
Old 10/20/16, 06:04 PM

Yes ! The Pypes do indeed include the M80's as part of their mid muffler setup, so I may either go that route or just look into purchasing the M80's by themselves and have them welded in the mid section just as you did with your cherry bombs and decide on either Borla Stingers, SLP Powerflo's or MBRP pro series axle backs and just keep them in the stock location behind the rear axle.. Hopefully between either the M80's or cherry bombs along with which ever axle back I finally decide on should hopefully reduce or eliminate the dreaded cabin drone altogether

If the muffler has hangers just cut them off. And if it's a clamp style I would still weld. Just adds a little more rigidity and not so many points where it can leak or flex.
More than likely I'll end up having them welded just as you recommended

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/20/16 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10/24/16, 11:27 AM

Just to follow up, I was finally able to locate 3 different bullet style mufflers that don't have hangers..

1) Borla "S" type specialty muffler Part # 40842s

https://www.borla.com/products/stype...t__40842s.html

2) MBRP performance resonator Part # R1012

http://mbrpautomotive.com/index.php?...cts&part=R1012

3) SLP bullet race type muffler Part # 310013818

http://www.slponline.com/product/310...fler-Each.html

Out of these 3, I'm thinking the SLP loud mouth II or MBRP might be the best options for mid mounting due to their smaller/compact size for providing better clearance, as my car is lowered by 1.2 inches (front) 1.5 inches (rear)

Anyway for my particular application, would you happen to agree or would you recommend mid mounting Borla Stingers over the smaller MBRP and SLP bullet style mufflers instead ?

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/24/16 at 11:33 AM.