2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

My Shaker Project

Old 9/26/16, 04:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
My Shaker Project

First off let me state that this thread will have multiple posts included in it as this is still a work in process. So I am in the process of the largest modification I have made to my car to date. It started when I noticed I was getting some corrosion on the underside of my hood. It is very minor. A spot the size of a pencil eraser. But none the less not something I want to let go. So I began to consider taking the repair money and putting it toward the purchase of a aftermarket hood. I looked at lots of hoods. And was strongly considering the Cervini Stalker for a bit. But was not 100% in love. So I continued to look around. Those who know me know I like OEM parts over aftermarket. And I kept coming back to the old Ford Racing Shaker System. I love Retro stuff. And the Shaker is a Iconic Mustang feature. And IMO the Ford Racing Shaker is very well done. I did lots of research and finally decided this could be a modification I could get behind. I struggled with the idea of drilling holes in perfectly good parts. But ultimately thought the finished product would be worth the mental torture. So I set out to see if there were any left from Ford as they have not produced them for quite awhile. I know that CDC made the Shaker for Ford and would ultimately buy from them if I could not find it from a Ford Dealer. But as I did with the Shifter I went with the actual FR piece as opposed to the Barton knowing I was paying a bit more for essentially the same item. So I contacted Chris at White Bear (Purchased my other FR items from them and they are Great!). Chris did not have one. But he used their locate system and found what he said is the last one in the country! So I contacted the dealer. It was a item they ordered for a customer who then backed out on them. Since they had the item for so long they just wanted it gone and offered it to me for $450 shipped! Super Cheap! They sent me this picture and I bought it on the spot!
Attached Thumbnails My Shaker Project-img_1514.jpg  
Old 9/26/16, 04:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

So about 2 weeks ago my Shaker arrived to work. And low and behold it had damage from shipping. The damage was not there before because it is clearly not visible in the pictures I received before purchase. And the Dealer inspected it very closely before I bought it. Thankfully the damage is repairable. It is on the powder coated portion of the scoop. So this winter while the car is in hibernation I will have the part repaired and powder coated. I am thoroughly impressed with the quality of this piece. It is HEAVY and well built. Here is a picture of the damage and then the underside of the Shaker.
Attached Thumbnails My Shaker Project-imag3971_1.jpg   My Shaker Project-imag3970_1.jpg  
Old 9/27/16, 02:24 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Looking forward to project pictures. Always loved that Shaker look.
Old 9/27/16, 09:28 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Congrats man! As for the install, didn't someone on this site just do this? I think his username is "SpeedCostsMoney", or something like that. Black and red 2010 GT, vert, then he cut and drilled his own hood , but it came out real nice. Hit him up for some advice.

You are right about the shipping damage though - in the two pics you posted, the damage was not there in that pic (unless it was old), then in your current pic, that white/scrape area is where it's at, right?

Shouldn't you get the shipping folks/dealership to repair the damage??? Why would you have to pay for the repair???
The following users liked this post:
SpeedCostsMoney (9/28/16)
Old 9/27/16, 02:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yes so on the damage it is the scrape. It was not there before. Since this is essentially the last one from Ford out there it would be tough to get any reimbursement. I have had to deal with UPS claims before and at I think my time and sanity is worth more that the effort required. If I could just return it and get another I would do that. But again last one out there. I am also certain at the price I paid the dealer sold it at or below their cost. So not going to try and go after them for something that was not their fault. Life does not always go 100% the way you want. This is one of those times. And I am still coming out way ahead monetarily.
Old 9/27/16, 02:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

So the install went way easier than I anticipated. I was very nervous drilling the holes. And I have CRAZY OCD about certain things. So I knew if I did not get it perfect it would drive me nuts. I will break this down into steps to be as detailed as possible. First step all you do is remove the strut tower brace, engine cover and air box. On the lower air box a template is provided. You place the template and using a 3 inch hole saw drill your hole. Then there is a elbow that snaps into the hole. The cut came out clean. Looks really good. You can see in the pictures below the hole and then the elbow installed. After this is complete you reinstall the air box.
Attached Thumbnails My Shaker Project-imag3996.jpg   My Shaker Project-imag3999.jpg   My Shaker Project-imag3989.jpg   My Shaker Project-imag3998.jpg   My Shaker Project-imag3987.jpg  

My Shaker Project-imag3988.jpg  
Old 9/27/16, 02:41 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by 14Glassback
Yes so on the damage it is the scrape. It was not there before. Since this is essentially the last one from Ford out there it would be tough to get any reimbursement. I have had to deal with UPS claims before and at I think my time and sanity is worth more that the effort required. If I could just return it and get another I would do that. But again last one out there. I am also certain at the price I paid the dealer sold it at or below their cost. So not going to try and go after them for something that was not their fault. Life does not always go 100% the way you want. This is one of those times. And I am still coming out way ahead monetarily.
Well stated. I tend to agree with you there.

Nice job on the progress. The airbox drilling is easy compared to the hood drilling and cutting. That's where I couldn't do it...mentally.
Old 9/28/16, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Well stated. I tend to agree with you there.

Nice job on the progress. The airbox drilling is easy compared to the hood drilling and cutting. That's where I couldn't do it...mentally.

Agree, cutting up that hood would have me shaking. Scary to chop up your pride and joy. Best of luck!
Old 9/28/16, 08:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks nice OP. I did it on mine and it was not that bad.

Name:  12674A46-E30F-4085-9A6C-9C993828148C_zpsd0vbejxe.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  291.7 KB

See what I did here.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...nstall-542561/

Last edited by SpeedCostsMoney; 9/29/16 at 08:09 AM.
Old 9/28/16, 02:25 PM
I Have No Life

^ thanks for chiming in. I guessed correctly on your username, wasn't sure.
Old 9/29/16, 07:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Second step is modifying the engine cover. This is the part I was most concerned about. The cover hides the fuel rails. On on the fuel rails there are a total of four studs. These are the studs the Shaker mounts to. So by drilling the holes you are exposing the studs. There is no template for this part. Just measurements from the rear edge of the cover. The instructions have your final hole size to be a one inch hole. I measured multiple times before drilling and was actually able to stop at 3/4 of an inch with no fitment issues. I was also incredibly happy with how clean the holes were using a stepped drill bit. They are super handy. Once the holes are drilled you can reinstall the cover and then bolt on the Shaker mounting bracket.
Attached Thumbnails My Shaker Project-imag4001.jpg   My Shaker Project-imag4000.jpg   My Shaker Project-imag4003.jpg   My Shaker Project-imag4002.jpg   My Shaker Project-imag4005.jpg  

My Shaker Project-imag4004.jpg  
Old 9/29/16, 07:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Now you will need to reinstall the strut tower brace if you have one. Turn the Shaker upside down and there is a tube with a long flat section that rivets in six spots to the bottom. (I apologize I did not take pictures of the tube riveted to the Shaker... Was too excited to put it on) Now you can use the two ball studs on the bottom of the Shaker and press them into the grommets on the mounting bracket. The Shaker will be loosely installed at this point. Next you install the air tube between the air box and the pipe you just riveted to the bottom of the Shaker. The instructions say not to tighten the provided hose clamps yet. Mainly because it would make the next step even harder. There are 2 small bolts that go through the front bottom of the Shaker and into the mounting bracket. You need a long extension to do this. And I see lots of swear words in my future when I drop one trying to take them out or put them in. But patience is your friend and the Shaker is now mounted solid to the car. Tighten the hose clamps and you are done.
Attached Thumbnails My Shaker Project-imag4010.jpg   My Shaker Project-imag4011.jpg   My Shaker Project-imag4009.jpg   My Shaker Project-imag4014.jpg   My Shaker Project-imag4012.jpg  

Old 9/30/16, 03:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

So lastly I pulled the hood off. My body shop has my replacement hood. Hopefully they can get to it next week. They will cut the hole and then paint it. The car looks totally bad A** without the hood and the Shaker installed! Took her for a spin the other night. Went down a popular cruising spot locally. A place I usually avoid like the plague. I cannot go more than a few blocks without someone trying to race me. Well apparently the Stang looks intimidating now! Everyone who pulled up next to me looked the car over and drove on!
Attached Thumbnails My Shaker Project-imag4023.jpg   My Shaker Project-imag4021.jpg   My Shaker Project-imag4018.jpg   My Shaker Project-imag4025.jpg   My Shaker Project-imag4019.jpg  

Old 10/1/16, 06:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I'm in love... well done!
Old 10/1/16, 12:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
With the hood off your car really looks badass. You did a great job.
Old 10/4/16, 10:40 AM

Looking great so far. Glad to hear you got a second hood to poke the hole into. Love this look but I have always tried to have an escape route in case something goes south. Looking forward to the next set of pics!
Old 10/4/16, 11:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Looking for opinions since I am in a holding pattern at this point. First off let me be clear I have already pretty much talked myself out of all of this stuff. But am considering all the options since now is the time. I am not trying to make a Mach 1 out of my vehicle. But do like the looks of those. My question is should I have the hood painted similar to something below being a throwback to the old Mach? Also should I put some type of badge on the Shaker itself? Again strongly leaning to No. But up for suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails My Shaker Project-screenshot_2016-10-04-11-54-34_1.jpg  
Old 10/4/16, 11:58 AM
I Have No Life

^ that actually looks decent. Yeah, no badging though, even on the Shaker. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10/6/16, 06:06 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
I had one on my 2000 GT and loved the look. I think a stripe is a must especially on the S197 because of the hood being seemingly so big.

I've been thinking of installing but the hood vents on my '14 just make it too busy in my opinion.
Old 10/6/16, 08:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Maybe a super snake stripe. Badges would be ok. No hood pins unless they are the more recessed type with no wires.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Shaker Project