Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Suggestions on performance mods please?

Search this Thread

Old 7/30/16, 05:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Suggestions on performance mods please?

I have recently sold my 2005 windveil blue GT convertible. I got a 2016 Golf GTI to replace it.

Now before you roll your eyes, I also have a 2012 GT that I am keeping.

Since I joined the Mustang Source 10 years ago, everything I did to my Mustangs was heavily involving interior mods like retrofits of OEM navigation, ambient lighting, LCD clusters and such- I got to know the wiring for each car VERY well indeed. I also did simple exterior enhancements.

I have never done performance engine mods to either car, but I think I would like to do so now. So far all I have done performance wise is put on Konis and install paddle shifters on the steering wheel.

I did put Konis on my 12 to improve handling, and it is better, but they hiss over bumps, and the handling isn't as good as it is on my new Golf GTI. I DO NOT want to lower ride height, but do want my Mustang to at least come close to matching the GTI.

For the engine, I would like horsepower up another 80 hp, but not lose drivability. Not sure I want forced induction. Thought about a larger throttle body (85mm or 90mm?) with better cold air intake and better exhaust system (shorty header?). I DO NOT want the car too much loader than it is now.

I want this to be a comfortable cruiser to drive on long distance with German like handling and another 80 hp or so. And no, I don't want to sell it and get a BMW.

Suggestions please? I will not do this all at once, either.

Last edited by jim010; 7/30/16 at 05:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ofequipmentgolf (8/1/16)
Old 7/30/16, 05:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by jim010
I have recently sold my 2005 windveil blue GT convertible. I got a 2016 Golf GTI to replace it.

Now before you roll your eyes, I also have a 2012 GT that I am keeping.

Since I joined the Mustang Source 10 years ago, everything I did to my Mustangs was heavily involving interior mods like retrofits of OEM navigation, ambient lighting, LCD clusters and such- I got to know the wiring for each car VERY well indeed. I also did simple exterior enhancements.

I have never done performance engine mods to either car, but I think I would like to do so now. So far all I have done performance wise is put on Konis and install paddle shifters on the steering wheel.

I did put Konis on my 12 to improve handling, and it is better, but they hiss over bumps, and the handling isn't as good as it is on my new Golf GTI. I DO NOT want to lower ride height, but do want my Mustang to at least come close to matching the GTI.

For the engine, I would like horsepower up another 80 hp, but not lose drivability. Not sure I want forced induction. Thought about a larger throttle body (85mm or 90mm?) with better cold air intake and better exhaust system (shorty header?). I DO NOT want the car too much loader than it is now.

I want this to be a comfortable cruiser to drive on long distance with German like handling and another 80 hp or so. And no, I don't want to sell it and get a BMW.

Suggestions please? I will not do this all at once, either.
LT headers, intake and a tune will wake up the motor a lot. A SC will add 200+HP at a cost of 6K. Headers, intake with a tune/tuner will set you back around $1,500. All of this doesn't include installation as I do my own wrenching.
Old 7/30/16, 05:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Whatever I can do myself, I plan to.

Doing headers, I assume I need to also redo the exhaust? Is keeping the current mufflers an option to not get it too loud?
ofequipmentgolf (8/1/16)
Old 7/30/16, 06:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Whatever I can do myself, I plan to.

Doing headers, I assume I need to also redo the exhaust? Is keeping the current mufflers an option to not get it too loud?
Headers really depends If you have to go through the sniff test for a vehicle inspection yearly. Shorty headers really don't net much gain over stock, but long tubes helps and you'd have to get a different H or X pipe. Another big gain is deleting the cats, but that all depends on what state you live and inspection.
You can keep the stock mufflers and changing them out only gets you a few extra HP.
The LT header install is a pitta, but since you have another DD you should be able to handle it if you have patience and mechanically inclined.
ofequipmentgolf (8/1/16)
Old 7/30/16, 09:32 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
It will be tough keeping current springs, because most aftermarket shocks are valved for stiffer spring rate of lowering springs. I'd suggest going with 1" all around, and find the lowest spring rate you can that is still stiffer than stock. And Koni Yellows (hopefully that's what you already have) to control them.

I LOVE the handling of my car. But over bumps you notice it. So corner carving, check. Soft, compliant suspension over bumps? Not so much.
ofequipmentgolf (8/1/16)
Old 7/30/16, 11:44 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I've read some good things back when I was first researching suspension about koni yellows on stock springs.
Old 7/31/16, 03:52 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
The v6 Mustang will come closer to the handling of your GTI because of the 100+ lbs less weight of the engine on the nose Any Mustang will 'not' feel as nimble as your GTI

Do the long tubes, intake and a good tune. Maybe a rear gear change too
Old 7/31/16, 10:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

OK, LT are what is recommended so far. I need to keep the catalytic converters, though, and do not want it much louder than it is now.

Can the noise be kept down?

It will be tough keeping current springs, because most aftermarket shocks are valved for stiffer spring rate of lowering springs. I'd suggest going with 1" all around, and find the lowest spring rate you can that is still stiffer than stock. And Koni Yellows (hopefully that's what you already have) to control them.
I have the orange. Are the yellows that much better?
Old 8/1/16, 12:38 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
^ yes... yellows are that much better. Went with yellows from getgo, based on research on oranges.

If you want drivability and no increase in sound, just stay safe and go with a GOOD tune and intake upgrade.

That will net you maybe 30-40whp at best, but will keep the same volume (bit louder from intake) overall, plus better throttle response and seat of pants improvement.
Old 8/1/16, 04:43 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Long tubes, Off road x and a good tune
Old 8/1/16, 08:25 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
OK, LT are what is recommended so far. I need to keep the catalytic converters, though, and do not want it much louder than it is now.

Can the noise be kept down?

I have the orange. Are the yellows that much better?
Can't speak to Orange. I went with Yellow. The quality is great, and the adjust ability is what makes them worth the price. You can tame the spring rate and make them "not too harsh" or turn up the stiffness and make the car not roll or pitch or dive at all on smooth roads. Well, technically it still does, but it's so sloooooow you can't perceive it. In the best possible way.

It increases driver confidence a lot, and that makes you faster because you feel more confident pushing it a lot further than you're used to with lesser dampers.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 8/1/16 at 08:27 PM.
Old 8/1/16, 10:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Can I use the Koni yellows with stock springs?
Old 8/4/16, 11:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Another suggestion made to me was the Vortech supercharger. I like that it looks inconspicuous under the hood, I keep the tower brace, and that under normal driving I am not under boost, and simpler to do than a turbo.

Anything to add to this pros or cans?

Cheers
Old 8/4/16, 11:45 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Another suggestion made to me was the Vortech supercharger. I like that it looks inconspicuous under the hood, I keep the tower brace, and that under normal driving I am not under boost, and simpler to do than a turbo.

Anything to add to this pros or cans?

Cheers

I have a ProCharger, which is a centrifugal unit like the Vortech. I love it and have put 14K miles on it so far. I know most people here seem to prefer positive displacement blowers, but I am very happy with the choice I made.
Old 8/4/16, 01:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Can you tell me about drivability both low rpm and high? How is mpg compared to before the supercharger?

I also see you have an auto. When you floor it, is the onset of boost managable? Did you need to get stickier tires to manage the extra power?

I am not looking to do much more than 550hp. The Vortech I am looking at is advertised for 605, but I assume that can be brought up or down using different belts to drive it?

Last edited by jim010; 8/4/16 at 01:15 PM.
Old 8/4/16, 04:15 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

I find it manageable, but I don't generally floor it from a standstill. Tires are still stock sized Yokohamas. MPG dropped at most 1 MPG - it's not like you drive around in boost. I have the i-1, so I can program in a boost curve, in addition to its three included modes. It's like doing a pulley swap from a touch screen.
Old 8/4/16, 04:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

What is it like punching it when passing a car on the highway? Scary or just fine? How about driving in the wet?

I don't want to turn my car into a monster, afterall. Everyday drivability is important for me.
Old 8/4/16, 07:40 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
What is it like punching it when passing a car on the highway? Scary or just fine? How about driving in the wet?

I don't want to turn my car into a monster, afterall. Everyday drivability is important for me.
Don't get a blower then. If you're uncomfortable on power increase affecting drivability.

I already stated earlier, just get an intake and a good tune and leave it at that.
Old 8/4/16, 07:41 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Passing a car is easy. I did not find it hard to adjust to the extra power. I'm sure if I got stupid with it, it could get out of hand, but that is true with any high performance car.
Old 8/4/16, 08:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Don't get a blower then. If you're uncomfortable on power increase affecting drivability.

I already stated earlier, just get an intake and a good tune and leave it at that.
Just checking my options. I've never driven a supercharged car before, so I don't know what it is like. Just want to know if the new power is predictable and linear, or if it comes on all of a sudden.

I likely will go with LT, intake and tune, but just want to know more about centrifugal charging. Everything I have been able to find does not talk about what it is actually like to drive in normal conditions, which is why I ask.

Quick Reply: Suggestions on performance mods please?