Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2014 3.7 water pump failure

Search this Thread

Old 7/25/16, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 3.7 water pump failure

Hello everyone,

Looking for some advice, input and help. The water pump on the wife's 2014 3.7 has failed at 36,680mi (appears to be leaking behind the pulley) Seems like low miles for a water pump failure. Warranty expired at 36k and dealer does not seem interested working with us at all even though we are only 680mi over warranty. Warranty is a warranty, it expired, guess I can understand but this is not her first Mustang she has bought there and I expected a little more support than just "NOPE".

Anyhow, I'm going to replace it myself just have a few questions. I am not familiar working on these newer Mustangs at all and was not expecting a repair such as this at these low of miles.

Questions:
Is it difficult to change? (from what I have read and have looked at on the car, seems pretty simple)
Any specific brands besides OEM (it failed at 36,680) I heard some talk of Tasca?

Car is completely stock, been serviced by the dealer since day one. Wife prefers it that way. I have a tendency to not leave things alone, one upgrade leads to another and another, next thing the UPS truck is showing up on the daily....I'm sure most of you know where I'm going with that

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh

Last edited by mrjo5hua; 7/25/16 at 01:53 PM.
Old 7/25/16, 02:49 PM

So I just did some more research and looking on this forum and seen that the gasket is probably the culprit not the water pump. This should be covered under the power train warranty...correct?

I'm going to call the dealer when I get home. Apparently they think women don't know anything and are giving my wife the run around.
Old 7/25/16, 03:32 PM
GT Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Well that just sux. I hope it's an easy repair.

I may never need it and it may have been a waste of money, but I purchased the Ford ESP for both my Mustang and F150.

Good luck at the dealer and hopefully they'll do you right.
Old 7/25/16, 03:42 PM

Yes. After having more time to look into it. It is indeed covered under the powertrain warranty. Going to the dealer after work and have the warranty administrator read me the engine coverage on the powertrain warranty to me out loud LOL.....

(1) Your vehicle’s Powertrain components are covered for five years or

60,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The extended coverage applies to

the Engine: all internal lubricated parts, cylinder block, cylinder heads,

electrical fuel pump, electronic engine control unit, engine mounts,

flywheel, injection pump, manifold (exhaust and intake), manifold bolts,

oil pan, oil pump, seals and gaskets, thermostat, thermostat housing,

timing chain cover, timing chain (gears or belt),

turbocharger/supercharger unit, valve covers, water pump;

Old 7/26/16, 12:10 AM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Good stuff, keep us posted.
Old 7/26/16, 02:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by mrjo5hua
Yes. After having more time to look into it. It is indeed covered under the powertrain warranty. Going to the dealer after work and have the warranty administrator read me the engine coverage on the powertrain warranty to me out loud LOL.....

(1) Your vehicle’s Powertrain components are covered for five years or

60,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The extended coverage applies to

the Engine: all internal lubricated parts, cylinder block, cylinder heads,

electrical fuel pump, electronic engine control unit, engine mounts,

flywheel, injection pump, manifold (exhaust and intake), manifold bolts,

oil pan, oil pump, seals and gaskets, thermostat, thermostat housing,

timing chain cover, timing chain (gears or belt),

turbocharger/supercharger unit, valve covers, water pump;

Lol, Dealers... you would think they would know this.
Old 7/26/16, 04:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by awoychosky123
Lol, Dealers... you would think they would know this.

Of course they know. What they're hoping is that the customer doesn't know. You would be amazed how many customers just pay for something that should be covered by a warranty or covered by the dealership because the dealership feeds them a line of crap. So long as the customers don't call them out on it and they are none the wiser the dealership is only to happy to take your money. When my car was in the shop for a leaking pinion seal they tried to tell me that the dealership didn't cover the cost of a rental until the mechanic verified that the repair was covered under warranty. The mechanic doesn't verify that the repair is covered until after he's done working on the car. So I ended up paying up front for a rental that they should have covered to begin with. If I hadn't gone back after the fact and raised hell about getting reimbursed they would have been only too happy to just let it go. So then a couple months later when I was back for a dead AC system I raised hell from the get go and they paid for my rental before I ever left the dealership. I hate to have to do it but the truth of the matter is that if you're a nice person in this life people will crap all over you and businesses will definitely crap on you. If you don't stand and be an *** you'll get the short end of the stick every time. Nice guys (and gals) really do finish last. Don't let up on them OP and insist that they cover the cost of your rental in advance.
Old 7/26/16, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by 3point7
Of course they know. What they're hoping is that the customer doesn't know. You would be amazed how many customers just pay for something that should be covered by a warranty or covered by the dealership because the dealership feeds them a line of crap. So long as the customers don't call them out on it and they are none the wiser the dealership is only to happy to take your money. When my car was in the shop for a leaking pinion seal they tried to tell me that the dealership didn't cover the cost of a rental until the mechanic verified that the repair was covered under warranty. The mechanic doesn't verify that the repair is covered until after he's done working on the car. So I ended up paying up front for a rental that they should have covered to begin with. If I hadn't gone back after the fact and raised hell about getting reimbursed they would have been only too happy to just let it go. So then a couple months later when I was back for a dead AC system I raised hell from the get go and they paid for my rental before I ever left the dealership. I hate to have to do it but the truth of the matter is that if you're a nice person in this life people will crap all over you and businesses will definitely crap on you. If you don't stand and be an *** you'll get the short end of the stick every time. Nice guys (and gals) really do finish last. Don't let up on them OP and insist that they cover the cost of your rental in advance.

This is so the truth. I didn't make it to the dealer due to work constraints but I did get them on the phone to which I was given the round around between 3 different people that said gaskets and water pumps were not covered. I finally had to get a little stern and made them listen to me read the warranty word for word to them. They finally realized I was not giving up and transferred me to a service writer named Morgan. Very nice lady that seemed more concerned as to who it was that told me it was not covered. Long story short, Ford Road Side picked the car up at no charge. After a it was delivered I received a phone call from the original person that said it was not covered "Jeff" who basically was kissing my a** and trying to cover his own said how sorry he was for the "mix up'....yea right.

They have to determine that the leak is what "I described" as they say and then determine if it is covered so the battle may not yet be over. I will update as I hear more.

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited by mrjo5hua; 7/26/16 at 06:11 AM.
Old 7/26/16, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by mrjo5hua
This is so the truth. I didn't make it to the dealer due to work constraints but I did get them on the phone to which I was given the round around between 3 different people that said gaskets and water pumps were not covered. I finally had to get a little stern and made them listen to me read the warranty word for word to them. They finally realized I was not giving up and transferred me to a service writer named Morgan. Very nice lady that seemed more concerned as to who it was that told me it was not covered. Long story short, Ford Road Side picked the car up at no charge. After a it was delivered I received a phone call from the original person that said it was not covered "Jeff" who basically was kissing my a** and trying to cover his own said how sorry he was for the "mix up'....yea right.

They have to determine that the leak is what "I described" as they say and then determine if it is covered so the battle may not yet be over. I will update as I hear more.

Thanks for the replies.

UPDATE: Dealer just called and claim that it is some kind pressure relief over flow tube or something (she really did not make much sense). I will have more specifics tomorrow when we pick it up. They did indeed cover it under the power train warranty and I believe a free oil change for our troubles.

Always good to know your warranty and specifics of it and do not let the dealer try to give you the run around. A informative forum always helps too
Old 11/22/18, 05:56 PM

My water pump failed at 59,750 miles. Just in time to get it fixed under warranty. Thank goodness I caught it. The dealer tried to give me the run-around too saying that they were not sure if it was the water pump and I needed to pay $60 up front for them just to check it out. I argued with them for about 5 minutes and eventually got them to tell me that the water pump is covered under the warranty. Ridiculous.

Now, I am dealing with a 2nd pinion seal failure and am about to gear myself up for that conversation here in the next few days.
Old 11/24/18, 11:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 547 Likes on 355 Posts
Originally Posted by BoschGuy87
My water pump failed at 59,750 miles. Just in time to get it fixed under warranty. Thank goodness I caught it. The dealer tried to give me the run-around too saying that they were not sure if it was the water pump and I needed to pay $60 up front for them just to check it out. I argued with them for about 5 minutes and eventually got them to tell me that the water pump is covered under the warranty. Ridiculous.

Now, I am dealing with a 2nd pinion seal failure and am about to gear myself up for that conversation here in the next few days.
If you never got the updated axle vent it will keep blowing the pinion seal out, the original plugs up and the seal is the weakest part so when it build pressure it starts to leak.
Old 12/9/18, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Siber Express
If you never got the updated axle vent it will keep blowing the pinion seal out, the original plugs up and the seal is the weakest part so when it build pressure it starts to leak.
I took your advice. I replaced the axle vent with a Genuine Ford Axel vent 4R3Z-4022-AA (
https://www.amazon.com/Ford-4R3Z-4022-AA-VALVE-ASY-VENT/dp/B000NTLXQI https://www.amazon.com/Ford-4R3Z-4022-AA-VALVE-ASY-VENT/dp/B000NTLXQI
) and a new pinion seal. Wanted the Ford seal BR3Z-4676-A (
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Ford-BR3Z-4676-Seal-Assembly/dp/B00AQZBJPO/ https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Ford-BR3Z-4676-Seal-Assembly/dp/B00AQZBJPO/
), but couldn't get it delivered in time. I picked up a National 3604 seal from the local auto parts store right down the road. I have the Ford seal now on hand, just in case I have to do this job for the 3rd time. Fingers crossed...

Last edited by BoschGuy87; 12/9/18 at 12:36 PM.