Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

My GT got tagged by street racing Vette

Search this Thread

Old 7/25/16, 05:24 AM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My GT got tagged by street racing Vette

Son cleaned up the GT on Saturday and took it out for a cruise. Couple of Corvettes were street racing when one of them hit him and put several other cars in the ditch when they tried to avoid the idiot. Both Vettes ran off into the sunset... Police are looking for them, but I am sure the car is hidden somewhere. I would love to see the damage it took, not sure how he was able to drive away.

Just on the other side of my Flex is where the other car was in the ditch. Police let me pull up and park to empty the car before putting it on the flat bed. Police officers on the scene were great.

Now I am waiting to hear from my body shop in the next couple of days to see what going to happen, they will be picking it up from the tow yard today. Now it is time to see if they can match the paint, my car wasn't painted with the standard UA. The shop had PPG come out and scan my paint and found it to be a different manufacturers paint code. They scanned it with 2 different scanners and both time came up with the same paint code. Fingers crossed they were correct.

Before you say I nuts, you would have to see my car in person, plus I have the scan codes to prove it. Every car show I go to people are amazed at the paint. Ford ran out of black and red paint pigments during the tsunami in Asia and was searching to keep cars going down the line. If you look at the sun reflection behind the 5.0 badge in the second picture, you can see some of the metal flake.

I was planning on taking the car to them this summer for some touch up work, he going to be shocked to see if come in like this.

Old 7/25/16, 05:33 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
I'm hoping your son is OK. I assume you'd have mentioned it if he wasn't. The kid has got to feel bad about your car even though it wasn't his fault.

Interesting story about the paint...hadn't heard anything like that before.

Hope all goes well for you.
Old 7/25/16, 05:40 AM
GT Member

Yea, should have mention that. My son was fine, he was upset that my car got wiped out but he is doing good. Called me before the police, luckily it happened only a few miles from home so I got up there pretty quick. A lot of people stopped to make sure he was okay and gave the police details of what they seen.
Old 7/25/16, 11:12 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Oh no, that's some damage. It displaced the rear axle it seems. Wow, how was the vette able to drive away? Was that on Ford Road in Dearborn?
Old 7/25/16, 11:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Wow I can't believe you car isn't totaled. That sucks so much! So your car is supposed to be regular Black, not Lava Red?
Old 7/25/16, 12:36 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
That's a lot deeper than mine and twice the cost, the mystery Lava makes it even worse. Glad your son is ok but it will take him a while to get the crunch sound out of his head.

Last edited by TheReaper; 7/25/16 at 12:40 PM.
Old 7/25/16, 01:10 PM
GT Member

5.M0NSTER,

Yea, it was on Ford road about 1/2 mile west of Southfield.

laserred38,

The paint code on my car is UA. I really didn't know until I had the rear bumper painted when doing the quad exhaust. Got the bumper on and noticed the difference between quarter and bumper. That's when I found a shop that could scan my paint. If the cars not totaled we will find out how right he is with the paint code.

I just downloaded the police report and I guess one of the driver fessed up to hitting my car. When the Vettes flew by he speed up to catch them and lost control hitting my son then ran off into the ditch. Now I wish I would have looked closer at his car, but it makes sense seeing the damage on mine there is no way the Vette would have left the seen.

Just talked to the shop, they should have it there today and he will let me know if it is fixable or totaled hopefully tomorrow.

Last edited by tbone004; 7/25/16 at 01:11 PM.
Old 7/25/16, 01:14 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 588 Likes on 422 Posts
I'd be praying that it's totaled.
Old 7/25/16, 09:43 PM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Glad everyone is okay, but thats a weird story for sure. A corvette came and crashed into your son while he was cruising at highway speeds and did that kind of damage on impact? Who knows what happened, the kid probably wanted a piece of the action I'd guess.
Old 7/26/16, 02:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Thats going to be a tough call on if its totaled or not. My bet is that its totaled. That rear axle might be bent judging by the quarter panel.
Old 7/26/16, 04:37 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by xtc.inc
Glad everyone is okay, but thats a weird story for sure. A corvette came and crashed into your son while he was cruising at highway speeds and did that kind of damage on impact? Who knows what happened, the kid probably wanted a piece of the action I'd guess.
See my update on the police report, Vette didn't hit him it was a Lexas Q85 that lost control. Driver fessed up after we left the scene. Didn't know until I read the police report last night. Police report also states my son was driving normally when impact occurred.
Old 7/26/16, 04:38 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by awoychosky123
Thats going to be a tough call on if its totaled or not. My bet is that its totaled. That rear axle might be bent judging by the quarter panel.
I am hoping it is totaled, I should find out today.
Old 7/26/16, 08:46 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tbone004
I am hoping it is totaled, I should find out today.
I wish you the best of luck, hope everything works out well for you!
Old 7/27/16, 05:04 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michigan drivers are the worse I have ever seen, and I swear the no fault that extends to the damage to cars itself makes it worse.
Old 7/27/16, 05:11 AM
GT Member

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I'm betting the unibody is tweaked, which means totaled. Good luck with whatever the verdict is.
Old 7/27/16, 05:48 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by ZGrand
I'm betting the unibody is tweaked, which means totaled. Good luck with whatever the verdict is.
Just because a vehicle sustained unibody misalignment doesn't always mean that a car has to be totaled. The vast majority of collisions these days result in some degree misalignment which can be safely corrected within specs.

But the OP's unibody is more than just tweaked. Just a visual look-see shows that structurally it certainly requires a 1/4, outer wheelhouse, rear floor section at minimum, bumper reinforcement and a rear body panel. It probably will need an inner wheelhouse, and possibly the rear rail member. Mechanically it also requires the rear muffler, the entire rear end, wheel/tire, l/r suspension assembly and likely the rear x-member. And there's a whole lot of cosmetic stuff going on.

If I was adjusting this claim I'd recommend a total loss.

Last edited by TripleBlack14; 7/27/16 at 05:52 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TripleBlack14:
Coyote5-0 (7/27/16), tbone004 (7/27/16)
Old 7/27/16, 07:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
Just because a vehicle sustained unibody misalignment doesn't always mean that a car has to be totaled. The vast majority of collisions these days result in some degree misalignment which can be safely corrected within specs.
On that note, my Mustang took $8,000 in damage to the rear/driver side rear quarter, including minor frame damage that was repaired and the car is totally fine.
Old 7/27/16, 07:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
So is this car Lava Black or not? It can be hard to tell in photos
Old 7/27/16, 08:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
That's tore up good, glad everyone is ok. Hope they catch the two ****wits in the Vettes that started this.

I'd say it's at the discretion of the adjuster here for totalled. It's a heavy hit and lots of work.

I always buy the additional cost paint on an American car, because the regular stuff is usually so cheap and it shows. My last car was Candy Red, current is Sterling Grey. Both 3 coat paints and they make the cars get more compliments. Tough thing is matching a flake paint job if its hit, yours is even harder.
Old 7/27/16, 10:15 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
I would be sitting on the door and trying to take a sledgehammer to the underside of that car just to make sure that it was totaled. I would not want that car back at all.

Quick Reply: My GT got tagged by street racing Vette