Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Coming close to BMW 328i acceleration for 2014 V6?

Search this Thread

Old 7/6/16, 10:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Coming close to BMW 328i acceleration for 2014 V6?

Hi Guys,

Looking for some advise from others who have driven BMW 328i.

Some background - I own a BMW 328i (2014) All wheel drive, mostly base model and Mustang V6 (2014) mostly base acquired a few months ago. Both are regular daily commute cars and I do not race either of them. Neither car has gone more than 100 mph while I have driven them.
Edit: they both have automatic transmission.

My challenge is that the acceleration of Mustang V6 does not come anywhere close to 328i. I touch the gas on 328i and it just goes. For Mustang V6, I hit the gas I am often scared that I wont be able to match the speed of the traffic I am merging into mostly because I am used to the 328i I believe. I am looking for better throttle response so it does not feel like a drag.

I understand they are not the same cars. Reading online, it seems a "tune" may be the answer. My question is before I spend $600-$800, how close will I be able to come to the BMW 328i acceleration?

Regards,

Last edited by matrix; 7/7/16 at 06:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
David Young (7/9/16)
Old 7/7/16, 03:36 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Well, your base model Mustang has a 2.73 rear gear ratio. Its for getting over 30 mpg on the highway. I don't know anything about BMW's, but my v6 with a automatic transmission Mustang will do 0 to 60 in the high 4's.
matrix (7/8/16)
Old 7/7/16, 08:57 PM

Yeah, and BMW is at 240 hp while Mustang V6 is that 305 hp.

For comparison sake BMW feels like walking on milk while Mustang feels like walking on cream during acceleration.

Other than this, I love the car. I am trying to determine how much closer to BMW will I get using a tune.
Old 7/7/16, 09:20 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Get a V8 Mustang, then the bmers can it. My GT TP blows 335s out of the water and keeps us with M3s
awoychosky123 (7/8/16)
Old 7/8/16, 12:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
This guy knows where its at.
Old 7/8/16, 06:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
There are a couple of big differences between the vehicles that would give you the impression that the Mustang is slower. Acceleration at lower speeds is a function of torque not horsepower. The BMW produces its maximum torque at a mere 1250 RPM giving it the feeling of low end "grunt". The Mustang produces somewhat more torque overall but higher in the RPM range (peak is at 4250 RPM). You'll notice that the Mustang has a much stronger feel when you get it above 3000 RPM.

The other big difference is the rear end ratio. The 328i has a ratio of 3.91:1 where the Mustang has an anemic 2.73:1 ratio. The lower (numerically) ratio is great for mileage but not for acceleration. I upgraded mine to 3.31 (not available from the factory on convertibles) and noticed an immediate improvement in acceleration with only about 1 mpg hit to mileage. I think 3.55 might have been a better choice although I do appreciate the relaxed 2000 RPM at 75 mph on the highway that I have with the 3.31. In your case, 3.73 would not be out of the question in getting to a level similar to the BMW.
matrix (7/8/16)
Old 7/8/16, 08:59 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
"Scared to merge into traffic with V6 Stang?"

You forgot to add: "Scared to merge into public view and be seen with the 328i."

This thread sounds like a troll bridge based on the fact that there is already a wealth of performance mid information regarding the V6. All you have to do is search.
Old 7/8/16, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by matrix
Yeah, and BMW is at 240 hp while Mustang V6 is that 305 hp. For comparison sake BMW feels like walking on milk while Mustang feels like walking on cream during acceleration. Other than this, I love the car. I am trying to determine how much closer to BMW will I get using a tune.
You could always sell both cars and get the GT...then you'll be walking on LIGHTNING!
Old 7/8/16, 09:11 AM

Guys, I am sorry if I have hit some nerves but my main question is "Will a tune help me with this or not".

I do not want to get into conventions that V8 is better (sure if a V10 existed, it would be even better. Clearly have posted in V6 forum), or either BMW or Mustang V6 is bad (engine or looks). This is not as bad, for me, that I want to sell either car. Please stay on point.

Last edited by matrix; 7/8/16 at 09:15 AM.
Old 7/8/16, 09:13 AM

That helps WhiteBird00. Thank you so much! In your opinion, will a tune help me? I am willing to sacrifice MPG.

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
There are a couple of big differences between the vehicles that would give you the impression that the Mustang is slower. Acceleration at lower speeds is a function of torque not horsepower. The BMW produces its maximum torque at a mere 1250 RPM giving it the feeling of low end "grunt". The Mustang produces somewhat more torque overall but higher in the RPM range (peak is at 4250 RPM). You'll notice that the Mustang has a much stronger feel when you get it above 3000 RPM.

The other big difference is the rear end ratio. The 328i has a ratio of 3.91:1 where the Mustang has an anemic 2.73:1 ratio. The lower (numerically) ratio is great for mileage but not for acceleration. I upgraded mine to 3.31 (not available from the factory on convertibles) and noticed an immediate improvement in acceleration with only about 1 mpg hit to mileage. I think 3.55 might have been a better choice although I do appreciate the relaxed 2000 RPM at 75 mph on the highway that I have with the 3.31. In your case, 3.73 would not be out of the question in getting to a level similar to the BMW.

Last edited by matrix; 7/8/16 at 09:14 AM.
Old 7/8/16, 09:27 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Help? Yes. Will it do a lot? No. Especially without any other mods.

Gears will likely offer the biggest improvement in acceleration, short of forced induction.
Old 7/8/16, 09:33 AM

Guys, I am sorry if I have hit some nerves but my main question is "Will a tune help me with this or not". I do not want to get into conventions that V8 is better (sure if a V10 existed, it would be even better. Clearly have posted in V6 forum), or either BMW or Mustang V6 is bad (engine or looks). This is not as bad, for me, that I want to sell either car. Please stay on point.
We understand that but as a new member here, be careful about how your statements come off.

"Scared" is such an ignorant condescending exaggeration as the 305hp Mustang is MUCH faster that the majority of everyday Camrys and Prius'. It's not what you said, it's HOW you said it bro.

Also, don't tell me to "stay on point" when you just signed up for a Mustang forum and start talking about your BMW. Comparing the two is pointless just as comparing it to a Vette or Camaro.

Why not search the forum before you post and get educated? Why not simply start a thread "looking to improve my 3.7 v6 mustangs performance." Instead, you jab the v6 owners. Still, I'm perplexed. I used to eat those little 230hp 328i's when I still had my V6? Yours must be on some serious whole milk.
Old 7/8/16, 09:42 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Still, I'm perplexed. I used to eat those little 230hp 328i's when I still had my V6? Yours must be on some serious whole milk.
Base vs base should be about equal in performance. Perf pack should be significantly faster, definitely a whole second faster to 60.
Old 7/8/16, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
Base vs base should be about equal in performance. Perf pack should be significantly faster, definitely a whole second faster to 60.
When I had my V6..that was the majority of the cars that got on me. I have some experience with them. (Brother owns a 12 328i as well.) Like you were saying, they do well off the line but fall right off in the high band.
Old 7/8/16, 10:15 AM

P.s. Promise I'm not angry. It's just the dude made it sound like he is driving a horse and buggy on the highway when he's in his Stang.

SO Terrified!
Old 7/8/16, 10:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

That helps WhiteBird00. Thank you so much! In your opinion, will a tune help me? I am willing to sacrifice MPG.
A tune by itself won't make as much of a difference as you might think. It will do basically nothing unless you start filling up with higher octane fuel as well (a process you're familiar with from the BMW) and even then most of the gains are higher in the RPM range. Tunes really make the most difference when combined with other modifications.

The higher (numerically) gear ratio will make an immediate seat of the pants difference - especially depending on how high you go - but it still won't feel like a V8 (for those V6 naysayers reading this). You may still have to get a tune anyway depending on what combination you use because you have to adjust for the gear ratio change to keep your speedometer and odometer accurate. Some combinations can be programmed for you by a dealer (basically if it was available as an option from the factory) but others have to done with an aftermarket tuner (like mine because of no factory options for the convertible).
matrix (7/8/16)
Old 7/8/16, 11:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

BTW, I've owned BMWs before, the most recent being a 330Cic just before I bought the Mustang. When they advertise the "ultimate driving machine" they're not far off the mark. They may not be the fastest or the best at any single aspect but they handle well and are quick, comfortable and great fun to drive. As an all-around sporty vehicle, I think they match up well with just about anything on the road - including Mustangs. Don't get me wrong - I love my Mustang and wouldn't dream of replacing it but I can appreciate that there are other vehicles out there that can be equally entertaining depending on what you're looking for in a car.
Old 7/8/16, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
BTW, I've owned BMWs before, the most recent being a 330Cic just before I bought the Mustang. When they advertise the "ultimate driving machine" they're not far off the mark. They may not be the fastest or the best at any single aspect but they handle well and are quick, comfortable and great fun to drive. As an all-around sporty vehicle, I think they match up well with just about anything on the road - including Mustangs. Don't get me wrong - I love my Mustang and wouldn't dream of replacing it but I can appreciate that there are other vehicles out there that can be equally entertaining depending on what you're looking for in a car.
Nice!
But have you driven the 5.0 lately? Lol
Old 7/8/16, 11:40 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
The V6 is no slouch for sure. The 3.31s will make the most difference per dollar. An intake and tune will also help a little. Those are your 2 best options without spending 1000s.
matrix (7/8/16)
Old 7/8/16, 04:09 PM

Thanks guys for taking time and providing the valuable information. I think I have all that I need.

My biggest takeaway was "The BMW produces its maximum torque at a mere 1250 RPM; Mustang produces somewhat more torque overall but higher in the RPM range" and I will see if I can do some of these mods weighing in the price. I could not have gotten this piece of information without BMW comparison.

I had searched all I could, and had seen various performance upgrades information but it wasn't clear what I needed for my specific issue. 0-60 isn't my issue nor is the speed as I ain't racing and most posts were focused on those.

It also depends how to read a post. If your first knee jerk reaction after seeing the first word is "this guy is bashing V6", I can't really do anything about it. I did not know how to explain it any better without doing the comparison. If I had said "I want better acceleration", people would have responded "it has great acceleration" without anything as a comparison.

I clearly bought this car because I love it and I love it more than any others I have owned in past. I am not trying to race the two and see which wins or to prove that one is inferior than the other, just trying to explain with analogies so I get specific responses from others who may have been in this situation before to see if the suggestions can help me. Since I bought it used, I didn't even know if someone would say "that shouldn't happen, get it checked out". Mustang V6 probably has 99 pros vs BMW and I was after this 1 thing that I like in BMW better.

Just because I am new here does not mean I am willing to take the abuse. I thought it was important to clarify my point so you give others the benefit of the doubt in future. Life is short and I don't have time to go around and bash something in my free time.

Peace!
tucsondivots (7/24/16)

Quick Reply: Coming close to BMW 328i acceleration for 2014 V6?