Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Bad engine noise without starting engine..?

Search this Thread

Old 6/30/16, 08:38 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bad engine noise without starting engine..? *With Video*

So I have no idea how to describe this and I cannot find anything at all about it online. When I put the key in the ignition, turn it to the stage where a/c turns on, window controls work blablabla, there is this weird noise in the engine. This is without the engine running. Only components powered by the battery are running. Its not a chirping noise at all. Its somewhat like a grinding noise, but almost sounds like something spinning or swooshing. I know this probably makes no sense but I literally cannot find the words for it. Id post a video of it but I dont want to risk any damage. The car does start up and drive, but runs a little rough. Its a manual if that helps at all. I also noticed significantly lower power. I normally have 470 at the wheels and pulls felt a little stronger than my i4 Fusion. (These pulls were before I knew anything was wrong, I was actually shooting some pictures for some Fourth of July posts) The car has no trouble starting up, fires right away. In addition to it running rough someone behind me said there was a little bit of rattling when it was given some gas. I have an appointment with Ford next Wednesday but Its bothering me. Im at a total loss as to what it could be. I feel like theres more than one problem but I'll wait for yalls opinion.

Last edited by Left Lane Muscle; 7/1/16 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Added a video
Old 7/1/16, 05:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
If the car starts right up with no problems, make a video!
There's lots of things that can make noises especially in a modded/supercharged car ... need a video.
Old 7/1/16, 09:24 AM
V6 Member

I don't see how it could have anything to do with the blower since the pistons aren't firing. It runs so I don't think there's any pressure problems. Im at a loss. Do you think it would be safe to drive to the dealership about 5-8 miles away? I really dont want to get a tow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCEF...ature=youtu.be
Old 7/1/16, 11:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Left Lane Muscle
I don't see how it could have anything to do with the blower since the pistons aren't firing. It runs so I don't think there's any pressure problems. Im at a loss. Do you think it would be safe to drive to the dealership about 5-8 miles away? I really dont want to get a tow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCEF...ature=youtu.be
Ever thought about the intercooler pump going bad? That is the only thing I could imagine that could make such a bad noise. And of course you would be heat soaked, so a loss in power would make sense.

LEXiiON
The following users liked this post:
Left Lane Muscle (2/28/17)
Old 7/1/16, 12:24 PM
V6 Member

I hadn't thought about that. That would makes sense. I do know it wasn't running hotter than normal but I can see what you mean with the warmer air. I'll look at it again when I get home. Thanks for your reply!
Old 2/28/17, 06:35 PM
V6 Member

LEXiiON, I was going back through my old posts just for kicks and found this old thread. You were spot on.

The guy that I got the car from had installed a reservoir in the trunk, but left the pump in the engine bay. This led to it getting pretty bad flow and eventually getting completely air locked. At the time of the video (I deleted it, sorry to anyone in the future having a similar problem), it was getting poor flow. I knew it sounded like some liquid was moving. The issue seemed to miraculously "fix" itself and the sound completely stopped. In reality, the pump was air locked.

I was irritated with the problem so when it stopped making the noise I basically said lol **** it. The decreased power was still there though, so I went to the reservoir and felt it, cold as could be. I went to the pump with the ignition in the on position and felt it buzzing without any water flowing.

I got up under the car, disconnected the hoses and power, and mounted the pump in the spare tire well and ran a wire through the cabin and to the trunk. Hooked everything back up and walah, strong flow once again, problem solved.

So thanks for your answer man, I'd buy you a beer if I was able to lol
Old 2/28/17, 06:38 PM
V6 Member

Also, that "rattling" wasn't the car. My car was in the garage at the time, and it was the exhaust making a metal dog door in the wooden door leading inside rattle. My friend is just an idiot.
Old 2/28/17, 06:57 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
The only things in the engine bay that power up on mine with the supercharger are the fuel pump (in the gas tank but you her it prime), and the intercooler pump. I agree with it venting the intercooler pump.
Old 2/28/17, 07:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Left Lane Muscle
LEXiiON, I was going back through my old posts just for kicks and found this old thread. You were spot on.

The guy that I got the car from had installed a reservoir in the trunk, but left the pump in the engine bay. This led to it getting pretty bad flow and eventually getting completely air locked. At the time of the video (I deleted it, sorry to anyone in the future having a similar problem), it was getting poor flow. I knew it sounded like some liquid was moving. The issue seemed to miraculously "fix" itself and the sound completely stopped. In reality, the pump was air locked.

I was irritated with the problem so when it stopped making the noise I basically said lol **** it. The decreased power was still there though, so I went to the reservoir and felt it, cold as could be. I went to the pump with the ignition in the on position and felt it buzzing without any water flowing.

I got up under the car, disconnected the hoses and power, and mounted the pump in the spare tire well and ran a wire through the cabin and to the trunk. Hooked everything back up and walah, strong flow once again, problem solved.

So thanks for your answer man, I'd buy you a beer if I was able to lol
Glad I was able to help.

LEXiiON