Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

JLT Oil Separator problem-- need fittings!?

Search this Thread

Old 6/29/16, 08:14 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
JLT Oil Separator problem-- need fittings!?

I purchased my JLT Oil Separator a few years back... there were some concern over the plastic fittings cracking and creating vacuum leaks.
I took mine off and sure enough, one of the plastic fittings was cracked.

I called American Muscle (from whom I bought it) and they don't stock pars for these products...perhaps understandable.

So, I called JLT and spoke to one of the guys who works there. I don't know his position exactly but he was incredibly helpful and generous with his time...he sent out a new bag of fittings for free.
Unfortunately, they were still plastic...and they were the wrong ones pieces anyway. Ordinarily, I'd just call them back and try again but I didn't bother to check it out until the car came out of winter storage so it has been many months since they sent the fittings to me.

Does anyone have a source on these? I may give them another call but I'd rather just buy them and get on with my life.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by MRGTX; 6/29/16 at 08:16 AM.
Old 6/29/16, 08:40 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
I had read posts on other sites where JLT replaced the plastic fittings with brass fittings, free of charge.
Maybe they stopped doing that.
Should be able to go to any auto parts store & get what you need, fittings don't cost much.
I have no JLT anything on either car, because of quality issues.
The following users liked this post:
MRGTX (6/29/16)
Old 6/29/16, 08:55 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

That's just the thing...the ones that they sent were both plastic and the wrong size/type...

Ha..no idea why I never thought that they would be standard hardware. Perhaps I will give that a try. Thanks.
David Young (7/1/16)
Old 6/29/16, 01:36 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
One of mine cracked a few years ago. I found brass ones at my local hardware store.
MRGTX (6/30/16)
Old 6/29/16, 04:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Which plastic fitting are you referring to, the one that connects to the can or the snap fitting that connects to the head?
Old 6/30/16, 04:27 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I'm talking about the ones that screw into the can. I 'think' the others are too. MRGTX will post back to clear it up for you
Old 6/30/16, 06:03 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Blown CS
Which plastic fitting are you referring to, the one that connects to the can or the snap fitting that connects to the head?
Yep. The one that screws into the canister itself is cracked.
Old 6/30/16, 03:04 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 Alibi 2
I had read posts on other sites where JLT replaced the plastic fittings with brass fittings, free of charge.
Maybe they stopped doing that.
Should be able to go to any auto parts store & get what you need, fittings don't cost much.
I have no JLT anything on either car, because of quality and FUNCTION issues.
I agree with the above statement in bold, and added 2 words to it to solidify it further.

Mike, I know you are asking about the JLT fixes you can do specifically, but I think (my 2 cents) you're better off just getting rid of it and getting a better functioning one. That's what I would do.
Old 7/1/16, 05:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
I agree with the above statement in bold, and added 2 words to it to solidify it further.

Mike, I know you are asking about the JLT fixes you can do specifically, but I think (my 2 cents) you're better off just getting rid of it and getting a better functioning one. That's what I would do.
Yeah. I hear what you're saying.
I just put a Bob's oil separator on my father's GT500. It's a nicely made piece and if I could go back, this is what I would have gone with....but I did throw $120 at this thing and assuming that the OEM 5.0L should theoretically be fine with nothing, I have to assume that the JLT unit does some good even if it's not as effective as some others.

The thing that I didn't like about the Bob's unit is that it requires that you cut the stock PCV tube and hose-clamp the lines to the canister onto the remaining length of the stock tube. It feels tacky. At least the JLT one comes with the OEM fittings in place. You can snap it right in and put your OEM line aside in case anything goes wrong.
Old 7/1/16, 07:56 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
Yeah. I hear what you're saying.
I just put a Bob's oil separator on my father's GT500. It's a nicely made piece and if I could go back, this is what I would have gone with....but I did throw $120 at this thing and assuming that the OEM 5.0L should theoretically be fine with nothing, I have to assume that the JLT unit does some good even if it's not as effective as some others.

The thing that I didn't like about the Bob's unit is that it requires that you cut the stock PCV tube and hose-clamp the lines to the canister onto the remaining length of the stock tube. It feels tacky. At least the JLT one comes with the OEM fittings in place. You can snap it right in and put your OEM line aside in case anything goes wrong.
Yeah, Bob's really "works".

As for the fitting/tube... you don't have to cut the tube. Just use a heat gun to remove/reuse the existing fittings. Yes, you have the option to use the fugly clamps and hoses they provide. I did that for a few months and didn't like it. So, I went with AN fittings and braided hoses. You can get those straight from Bob's, or just go to your local racing shop and buy the fittings and braided hoses there. It will cost you less than 50 bucks more.

So you see, you have options.