2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

At a loss for my next mod.

Search this Thread

Old 6/25/16, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At a loss for my next mod.

So I have a 2014 Mustang GT 5.0. The list of things I have done to it are as follows:

1. Koni orange shocks and struts
2. Flowmaster outlaw exhaust
3. Airraid Synthaflow CAI
4. Eibach Lowering kit
5. Mickey Thompson tires all around 285 rears and 245 fronts
6. Upgraded american muscle rims 19''

Now that I have all this done I am looking for more power. My dad has a corvette he got after me and is destroying me as I expected. What is the next step I should take in getting more speed. I was thinking headers but do they actually increase my speed by a lot cause they cost around $1500. Keep hearing supercharger but my god are they expensive that will take ages to afford. Any ideas and insight from you guys would be great.

Thanks.
Old 6/25/16, 06:02 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
If your goal is straight line, I'd FI as well, but if you're looking for cheaper options are are willing to live with draw backs then ...

4.10 gears and sticker, wider rear tires. Maybe a TrackLoc diff too. This will make you faster straight line (1/4) while lowering MPG and lowering your top speed. But it's cheaper than headers and will make more difference.

Just a though.
Old 6/25/16, 07:48 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Best bang for the buck by far is an off road midpipe and a good quality tune along with your intake. Just those should net you a healthy bump in power that you can definitely feel
Old 6/26/16, 04:50 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by FireRescue42
So I have a 2014 Mustang GT 5.0. The list of things I have done to it are as follows:

1. Koni orange shocks and struts
2. Flowmaster outlaw exhaust
3. Airraid Synthaflow CAI
4. Eibach Lowering kit
5. Mickey Thompson tires all around 285 rears and 245 fronts
6. Upgraded american muscle rims 19''

Now that I have all this done I am looking for more power. My dad has a corvette he got after me and is destroying me as I expected. What is the next step I should take in getting more speed. I was thinking headers but do they actually increase my speed by a lot cause they cost around $1500. Keep hearing supercharger but my god are they expensive that will take ages to afford. Any ideas and insight from you guys would be great.

Thanks.
It would help if we knew what your goals for the car are. Do you want to improve performance against your Dad's vette in a straight line or on a road course?
Old 6/26/16, 05:29 PM

I am looking to just be overall faster I think I have decided to go against a supercharger I don't want anything crazy. I think I want headers and a cam and that's probably it. Just want to have some good speed with no potential for parts to have a chance to break. That's kinda where I'm at right now. Overall speed
Old 6/26/16, 06:20 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Super chargers are expensive, but give you big gains in horsepower if you have the rest of the mods in place to go with them. I do not think I would ever go that route either due to the cost and complexity. Going with the headers and possibly cams will at least set you up for the super charger later on if you ever decide to go that route.
Old 6/27/16, 06:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Perhaps a back seat delete?
Old 6/27/16, 10:38 AM

Well are Long tube headers even worth the money to get. Will they increase power by enough to be noticeable or just a waste of money I can't seem to get a confident straight answer.
Old 6/27/16, 10:50 AM
Banned

I would expect ~40hp out of LTH and tune. That's a 10% increase, so you will feel it, but it won't make the car that much faster.

Are you tryig to compete with C6 or C7? Either way that's a tall order without FI. Vettes are ~300lbs lighter and make more hp/TQ than the Coyote, so it's way up on the power to weight ratio. I don't think you can realistically keep up wheel to wheel with a vette without some major upgrades.
Old 6/27/16, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
I would expect ~40hp out of LTH and tune. That's a 10% increase, so you will feel it, but it won't make the car that much faster.

Are you tryig to compete with C6 or C7? Either way that's a tall order without FI. Vettes are ~300lbs lighter and make more hp/TQ than the Coyote, so it's way up on the power to weight ratio. I don't think you can realistically keep up wheel to wheel with a vette without some major upgrades.
Yeah I think your right its just not gonna happen. But if I do get LTH and a tune it should increase good cause I havent got a tune from my CAI yet either. SO that could be a nice little boost. So since we are talking about headers. I am running across 1 7/8 and 1 3/4 I am assuming the 7/8 provide more torque but the 3/4 give more power? And also you keep saying FI? What exactly is that?

Last edited by FireRescue42; 6/27/16 at 10:56 AM.
Old 6/27/16, 10:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just put in NOS and you're good to go.
Old 6/27/16, 11:15 AM
Banned

Yeah I think your right its just not gonna happen. But if I do get LTH and a tune it should increase good cause I havent got a tune from my CAI yet either. SO that could be a nice little boost. So since we are talking about headers. I am running across 1 7/8 and 1 3/4 I am assuming the 7/8 provide more torque but the 3/4 give more power? And also you keep saying FI? What exactly is that?
Forced Induction, super charger or turbo. Yeah, if you haven't gotten a tune yet you will get a nice bump from tune and headers. I'd like to go that route myself at some point.

Originally Posted by JonsMustang
Just put in NOS and you're good to go.
Or there is that. Needs to be properly set up to avoid damaging the motor. Perhaps others can speak to this in more detail.
Old 6/27/16, 11:50 AM

[QUOTE=5.M0NSTER;6987187]Forced Induction, super charger or turbo. Yeah, if you haven't gotten a tune yet you will get a nice bump from tune and headers. I'd like to go that route myself at some point.

Oh forced induction makes sense. Okay thanks I think the header cai tune route may be what im looking for then. I keep reading that american headers are the best. But they cost so much its crazy.
Old 6/27/16, 06:09 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

[QUOTE=FireRescue42;6987196]
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Forced Induction, super charger or turbo. Yeah, if you haven't gotten a tune yet you will get a nice bump from tune and headers. I'd like to go that route myself at some point.

Oh forced induction makes sense. Okay thanks I think the header cai tune route may be what im looking for then. I keep reading that american headers are the best. But they cost so much its crazy.
Headers and cams are both fairly expensive for the gains you get. The best bang for your buck seems to be a good CAI and tune. The difference is noticeable, for not much money, relatively speaking.
Old 6/28/16, 09:45 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

Where did you hear that? AR is ok... If you want best quality and fitment with associated gains, Kooks hands down. I've seen the AR pieces in person. Though they are "nice", if you see Kooks in person, it's not even a question. That's why I went the Kooks route. You pay a tad more, but it's so worth it.

But to the other points already mentioned - headers make the most sense IF you already have your FI. Otherwise, CAI and tune is best bang.

Here's a vid of my Kooks install along with sounds...

Old 6/28/16, 11:14 AM

[QUOTE=FromZto5;6987338]Where did you hear that? AR is ok... If you want best quality and fitment with associated gains, Kooks hands down. I've seen the AR pieces in person. Though they are "nice", if you see Kooks in person, it's not even a question. That's why I went the Kooks route. You pay a tad more, but it's so worth it.

But to the other points already mentioned - headers make the most sense IF you already have your FI. Otherwise, CAI and tune is best bang.

Every website I go to says ARH are better than Kooks. That is where I have been seeing it so was why I said it and wanted to ask to see if people could confirm. They put out more HP and Torque and are a better quality steel is what everything I am reading is saying.
Old 6/28/16, 12:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Now that I have all this done I am looking for more power. My dad has a corvette he got after me and is destroying me as I expected. ... Keep hearing supercharger but my god are they expensive that will take ages to afford. Any ideas and insight from you guys would be great.
1. Trade in 2014 Mustang for approximately $25,000
2. Apply trade in towards C6 Z06 that makes 505 hp stock (and weighs less)
3. Finance the approximately $10k difference.

You can actually get a used Z06 in the mid 30's
Most blowers are in the $6k+ range, and then you're dealing with the stock clutch and questionable MT82

#SomewhatTrolling

Last edited by Coyote5-0; 6/28/16 at 12:19 PM.
Old 6/28/16, 12:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

And headers aren't a big power increase on these cars, the stock manifolds are actually decently tuned for performance.

You might want to look into the DOB supercharger/manifold kit. It's a lot cheaper than an off the shelf kit.
Old 6/28/16, 02:57 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Every website I go to says ARH are better than Kooks. That is where I have been seeing it so was why I said it and wanted to ask to see if people could confirm. They put out more HP and Torque and are a better quality steel is what everything I am reading is saying.
Which websites? Sorry, but I will continue to disagree on that point. Obviously, I could be wrong and if I am, I will humbly accept. But I was like you - I did my research on which headers to get - based on what I read and also from discussions with a few installers. AR had some fitment issues and weren't consistent across the board. Again, they are not "bad" per se, just second to Kooks. As far as hp and torque - pair that with overall flow, etc... in my vid you can see the design of the tubes/inner part. I don't think AR has that. And look at the welds and the attention to detail on the stamping and fasteners, etc.

Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
And headers aren't a big power increase on these cars, the stock manifolds are actually decently tuned for performance.

You might want to look into the DOB supercharger/manifold kit. It's a lot cheaper than an off the shelf kit.
Agree on this.
Old 6/28/16, 02:58 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

perfect example of necessary post quoting right there!

Quick Reply: At a loss for my next mod.