GT

Manual transmission clunking?

Search this Thread

Old 6/12/16, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual transmission clunking?

Hey Everyone:

So I just got a mustang 2015 and its been great fun so far! But slowly I am starting to notice a few minor issues with the car.
The squeeking parts don't bother me as much but the sounds I hear while shifting gears is what is annoying the hell out of me.
I read on several forums that a lot of people are having issues with the transmission, a small thud, or the clunking sound (sounds like there are rocks in a tin can that get shaken everytime I shift/downshift from 1-4, and reverse).

Has anyone found a fix for it? Is it serious? I read that this might be the twin driveshaft and a single driveshaft would fix it? If that has worked for you guys, I will be willing to try it myself too, but would that void the warranty on the car?

Apart from this, the car is great fun! Its been hard to stay below the speed limits. 2 shifts and I reach a 100kph lol!
Old 6/13/16, 02:30 PM
V6 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The stock two-piece driveshaft is very heavy and could be considered the weak link, strength-wise, in the drivetrain. It probably contributes at least somewhat to the clunking and driveline slop. The only remedy is an aftermarket drive shaft; which is manufactured as a single piece and is much lighter (aluminum or CF) when compared to stock. Unfortunately, they ain't cheap.
Old 6/26/16, 07:55 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2015 GT Premium that I bought off the showroom floor, and around 1,200 miles began noticing the exact same thing. There is a hill near my house and every time I got to the other side I would downshift into 3rd and when I let off the clutch, It would clunk.

I spent quite a bit of time driving around with the shop foreman where I bought the car and he did acknowledge the noise. He said, "There isn't a part we could replace that would fix that." He did not offer an explanation as to what it was, though.

The best that I can figure is that there are no "thrust bearings", or that there is too much clearance at the end of the shafts in the transmission, allowing them to slide from front to rear. When you allow the transmission to coast without a load on it, the gears have a chance to creep forward or backward, and when you let off the clutch, they slam back in the opposite direction. When they run out of space to slide, the bump into something (probably the inside of the transmission housing. I don't think this is as bad as the noise makes it seem, but quite annoying for a $40K brand new car.

I doubt the drive shaft is the problem because the only people who seem to be complaining are those of use with the manual transmission.

I just learned to release the clutch much more slowly than I normally would (in any other car) in order to not hear it so much.

By the way, if I keep my hand on the shift lever in 1st and 2nd gear under heavy acceleration, the transmission whines so loudly you can't hear the exhaust. Again, I was told there is not part they could replace that would cure this. I think it's the shift fork pads rubbing on the synchro ring, which was probably machined with a rough finish. Again, something that sounds really bad, but probably won't cause any problem beyond being super annoying.

Last edited by colt breaker; 6/26/16 at 07:57 PM.