Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Looking for a way to fix the front Lower Control Arm issue...

Search this Thread

Old 6/10/16, 04:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking for a way to fix the front Lower Control Arm issue...

I'm about to replace the front lower control arms for the fifth time. I'm sick of them making noise and they really effect the handling of the car when that hydro bushing degrades. If I lived where I didn't have to pass emissions I would put on cat delete pipes in a hot second, but.... Is it possible to move the cats down further away from the hydro bushings on the lower control arms closer to the X pipe?
Old 6/21/16, 05:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow....136 views and no ideas...I had the lower control arms replaced yesterday at the dealer and I think I have a solution. I ordered two 5"X7" ceramic weave heat shields wrapped in aluminum that are formable. I will take off the heat shields from the control arms and cover them with the ceramics, use the current mounting screw locations to put it back together and see if the added insulation helps make my LCA's hydro bushings last.
Old 6/21/16, 08:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Well, in my case, I didn't see this/missed this until today. But whatever, man.

https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/a...eld-insulation

Read on that. Maybe get some of this material and wrap the manifold and cats. I'd guess the Header Armor is your thing:

https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/a...n/header-armor

Doing it on the one side like it says sounds like it's the right plan for your issue. Instead of shielding the LCAs from the heat, redirect it inwards/downwards away from the LCAs in the first place.

Just an idea. I'd probably be doing this if I had the issue (Awesome has the 4.6, so...)

Hope it helps.

Last edited by houtex; 6/21/16 at 08:33 PM.
Old 6/22/16, 02:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks! I'll probably end up doing both just to make sure I don't have to replace the LCA's again.
Old 6/22/16, 10:12 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
The only way you can relocate the cats is by going with Long tubes unless you get cat delete pipes and just swap the cats back in come emission time, but if you have gone through 5 LCA's already than I think you a different problem on your hands.
Old 6/30/16, 06:48 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ford20
The only way you can relocate the cats is by going with Long tubes unless you get cat delete pipes and just swap the cats back in come emission time, but if you have gone through 5 LCA's already than I think you a different problem on your hands.
Yeah....this is what I'm thinking.
How universal is this problem? It's just something I didn't know that I needed to worry about.
Old 6/30/16, 11:54 AM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
I live in Las Vegas...read...HOT. But my 2011 GT has low miles (23k). I had the first TSB to replace front LCAs after almost three years from new. Now, almost three years later again, need the same. For me, it's the hot weather that promotes the problem. And it's mostly from the passenger-side. I'm getting the replacement again this summer. I've already told my dealer's GM that I will not be paying for this. Good luck, and the ideas here are pretty good.
Old 7/1/16, 06:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by PJRManagement
I live in Las Vegas...read...HOT. But my 2011 GT has low miles (23k). I had the first TSB to replace front LCAs after almost three years from new. Now, almost three years later again, need the same. For me, it's the hot weather that promotes the problem. And it's mostly from the passenger-side. I'm getting the replacement again this summer. I've already told my dealer's GM that I will not be paying for this. Good luck, and the ideas here are pretty good.
Please keep us posted...and I wish you the best of luck on this!

Just a thought (which could be way out in left field) ...have you ever looked into your AFR with that tune? I can't help but wonder if you're running a little bit lean, resulting in some hotter exhaust temps. Add in the ambient heat of your environment, the extra pounding from your suspension mods... and you might be just adding up the stresses on those bushings?

In any case, I will keep my fingers crossed for you. It sounds like you've had some bad luck. The TSB will certainly help your case.
Old 7/1/16, 11:06 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX

Just a thought (which could be way out in left field) ...have you ever looked into your AFR with that tune? I can't help but wonder if you're running a little bit lean, resulting in some hotter exhaust temps. Add in the ambient heat of your environment, the extra pounding from your suspension mods... and you might be just adding up the stresses on those bushings?

Interesting comment
Old 7/1/16, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by MRGTX
---
Great point(s), thanks. My firmer suspension sure does not help...but I have such low miles, I'm thinking that is not affecting it too much. As for running lean, it's possible, although I do not run an aftermarket tune. But, here in the SouthWest, we only get 91 octane fuel, so that might add to the issue...
Old 7/9/16, 11:06 PM
Bullitt Member

I put the shielding on today. Heatshield Products, Armor 1/4"X12"X24" cut in half length wise and Thermal tied to the cats and Thermaflect shields 5"X7" placed under the aluminum shields fastened by the mounting screws. I hope this helps preserve my LCA hydro bushings.

Old 7/10/16, 10:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
That looks like a good fix. I haven't had a problem yet but would definitely try this as a preventive measure. I have the early style arms with no heat shield so I ordered the shields, made the brackets and installed them. Maybe they helped. When I first got the car going over speed bumps they were loud but after about 5k miles the noise went away.
Old 7/10/16, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Trumpetlon
I put the shielding on today. Heatshield Products, Armor 1/4"X12"X24" cut in half length wise and Thermal tied to the cats and Thermaflect shields 5"X7" placed under the aluminum shields fastened by the mounting screws. I hope this helps preserve my LCA hydro bushings.
---
Nice work.
The following users liked this post:
Trumpetlon (7/10/16)
Old 7/12/16, 02:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
What kind of sound do they make when they fail?
Old 7/13/16, 02:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
What kind of sound do they make when they fail?
It's a bad groaning sound any time the front suspension travel is more than a couple of inches, like a speed bump or driveway approach. It will also effect the cars handling after a while. I thought I was going to need stiffer sway bars but it was just the degraded hydro bushing.
Old 7/13/16, 06:13 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
I have a squeaking noise coming from the front end, but I don't know if its from the strut mounts that broke open when I did my lowering springs, or the control arms
Old 7/13/16, 12:26 PM

Mine includes the groaning, but also a pronounced 'pop'.
Old 7/13/16, 03:41 PM
Bullitt Member

The squeak/groan is probably the lower control arms. The pop is more than likely the strut mount. Try loosening up the mount and torque it back to spec and see if it goes away. If it is not torqued properly at ride height it will pop.
Old 7/14/16, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Trumpetlon
The squeak/groan is probably the lower control arms. The pop is more than likely the strut mount. Try loosening up the mount and torque it back to spec and see if it goes away. If it is not torqued properly at ride height it will pop.
---
I'll try that, thanks.