Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2011 Mustang. Rebuilt differential twice with only 55,000 miles. Need help from Ford

Search this Thread

Old 6/8/16, 08:26 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Mustang. Rebuilt differential twice with only 55,000 miles. Need help from Ford

Hey guys,

Its been a long time since I have posted. I have used this forum in the past as a great resource for the wealth of knowledge and experiences available as well as I just love reading the posts and new model news as an enthusiast.

Today, I really need some help from a Ford rep and I thought this may be a good place to try.

I have a 2011 Mustang GT Premium that I bought new in August of 2010. I have put very low mileage on the car per year, have never taken it to the track or raced it, just drive it around town. I have systematically had all the routine maintenance, service and repairs done at my local Ford dealer. So much that they all know me very well (and have done so since I got the Mustang). I have had my oil replaced every 4,000-5,000 miles at their recommendation using full synthetic Motorcraft oil.

In 2014 I started hearing noise from the rear end. I took it to my Ford dealer and they said that the rear differential needed to be re-built. According to their report on the invoice they found the rear axle to be noisy so they dissembled it, replaced the carrier bearings, the front and rear pinion bearings and wheel bearings, replaced the pinion seal and both wheel seals, set up pinion depth, and set backlash reassemble. This was when the car was just over 3 years old (late August of 2014) and it had 36,000 miles on it. At the time all of this work was covered under warranty and Ford reimbursed the dealer for the work. Since this repair I have continued to do all of the recommended maintenance by Ford including having the rear differential routine fluid service maintenance completed 1 year ago at 43,600 miles.

Here we are not even 2 years later and I am experiencing the same problem. Today the car has just under 55,000 miles. I took it back to my local Ford dealer last week and they drove it. They told me that the rear differential needs to be re-built again (and they told me that it would be basically the same repair that they did 21 months ago). They tried to push it through Ford corporate to have them cover the repair but Ford would not do so because the drive train warranty is 5 years or 60,000 miles (whichever comes first). My Ford dealer told me if they did the repairs today they would warranty the work this time for 2 years. But the last warranty was only 1 year because it was part of a Ford manufacturer repair. They initially wanted $2,100 and after Ford refused to pay for anything they are coming down to $1,600. Why on earth would I spend the money to have them replace it when their repair only lasted 21 months.

I know tons of members on the forums are having or have had this same problem but this is now my second time. Needless to say I am not a happy camper! In my opinion there is no way the differential should go bad twice on this low of mileage on a car that is extremely well maintained and not driven hard. The fact that the same repair is needed less than 2 years later is ridiculous. To me that means either the repair wasn't done well the first time or it means that the differential should have been replaced all together under warranty the first time.

This is the second Ford that I have owned and my family has owned many Fords. I absolutely love Mustangs in particular and have so since I was a kid. I will strongly consider going elsewhere for my next purchase if Ford does not make this right.

I would greatly appreciate anyone's help pushing this up the ladder at Ford. It is Ford case #9745506.

Thanks

Last edited by 1969 Boss429; 6/8/16 at 08:50 AM.
Old 6/8/16, 08:43 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Aren't you 2 months shy of 60 months? And 55000 is less than 60000. Last time I checked, that meets warranty requirements.
Old 6/8/16, 08:50 AM
V6 Member

My apologies. I purchased it in August of 2010 but it is a 2011 model. I am 2 months shy of 72 months. But it is under 60,000 miles. I will correct above.
Old 6/8/16, 09:42 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Oh, well, while it would be nice if they'd fix it, they probably won't. A shame that corporate behaves that way since it sounds like you have a decent dealer.
The following users liked this post:
1969 Boss429 (6/12/16)
Old 6/10/16, 02:51 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think the Ford rep has much of a presence on TMS any longer. Someone posted that she was on some other Mustang forum now.
1969 Boss429 (6/12/16)
Old 6/10/16, 03:31 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I am so loosing interest in Ford Products. Seems they have mechanical issues like no other. None of my GM's have issues like my Track Mustang.

Anyway. My Suburban turned 300,000 Miles and the rear end was making a noise. SO I took it to the local trans shop. They race cars and are always busy. Turns out it was the best decision I ever made. They rebuilt the rear ens with everything you need. Price $450. Was a bargain. Look to other shops for them to rebuild your rear end. My Mustang has 6000 mile on her and it is 2 yeas old. My rear is starting to Whine and when I take off it clunks underneath the car.

No looking forward to bringing it in. The rep on this forum is Deysa. Look Her and Send Her a message. She is really good.
1969 Boss429 (6/12/16)
Old 6/12/16, 08:39 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
I am so loosing interest in Ford Products. Seems they have mechanical issues like no other. None of my GM's have issues like my Track Mustang. Anyway. My Suburban turned 300,000 Miles and the rear end was making a noise. SO I took it to the local trans shop. They race cars and are always busy. Turns out it was the best decision I ever made. They rebuilt the rear ens with everything you need. Price $450. Was a bargain. Look to other shops for them to rebuild your rear end. My Mustang has 6000 mile on her and it is 2 yeas old. My rear is starting to Whine and when I take off it clunks underneath the car. No looking forward to bringing it in. The rep on this forum is Deysa. Look Her and Send Her a message. She is really good.
Thanks guys. I sent Deysa a pm and have not heard back. Does anyone know which forums the reps are active on?

Thanks Jazz. I agree. It is very frustrating to have this kind of issue happen twice with so few of miles. Especially when I baby the car.

I am going to try a trans shop if I can't get Ford to step in. My car hasn't had good luck recently. Had a guy rear end me sitting at a drive thru yesterday. Really?!?!
Old 6/12/16, 08:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
My car is 2 years old, and I've had it rebuilt twice, 3 times if you include the factory build. It still whines like crazy (my adjustable BMR parts on the rear end don't help though) and clunks.

As suggested above, just take it to a race shop. I have zero faith in Ford, or the Ford dealers, knowing how to properly build a rear end. That or I feel the housing is not square, and wasn't from the factory, so continuing to rebuild it is pointless.
1969 Boss429 (6/12/16)
Old 7/15/16, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by 1969 Boss429
Hey guys,

Its been a long time since I have posted. I have used this forum in the past as a great resource for the wealth of knowledge and experiences available as well as I just love reading the posts and new model news as an enthusiast.

Today, I really need some help from a Ford rep and I thought this may be a good place to try.

I have a 2011 Mustang GT Premium that I bought new in August of 2010. I have put very low mileage on the car per year, have never taken it to the track or raced it, just drive it around town. I have systematically had all the routine maintenance, service and repairs done at my local Ford dealer. So much that they all know me very well (and have done so since I got the Mustang). I have had my oil replaced every 4,000-5,000 miles at their recommendation using full synthetic Motorcraft oil.

In 2014 I started hearing noise from the rear end. I took it to my Ford dealer and they said that the rear differential needed to be re-built. According to their report on the invoice they found the rear axle to be noisy so they dissembled it, replaced the carrier bearings, the front and rear pinion bearings and wheel bearings, replaced the pinion seal and both wheel seals, set up pinion depth, and set backlash reassemble. This was when the car was just over 3 years old (late August of 2014) and it had 36,000 miles on it. At the time all of this work was covered under warranty and Ford reimbursed the dealer for the work. Since this repair I have continued to do all of the recommended maintenance by Ford including having the rear differential routine fluid service maintenance completed 1 year ago at 43,600 miles.

Here we are not even 2 years later and I am experiencing the same problem. Today the car has just under 55,000 miles. I took it back to my local Ford dealer last week and they drove it. They told me that the rear differential needs to be re-built again (and they told me that it would be basically the same repair that they did 21 months ago). They tried to push it through Ford corporate to have them cover the repair but Ford would not do so because the drive train warranty is 5 years or 60,000 miles (whichever comes first). My Ford dealer told me if they did the repairs today they would warranty the work this time for 2 years. But the last warranty was only 1 year because it was part of a Ford manufacturer repair. They initially wanted $2,100 and after Ford refused to pay for anything they are coming down to $1,600. Why on earth would I spend the money to have them replace it when their repair only lasted 21 months.

I know tons of members on the forums are having or have had this same problem but this is now my second time. Needless to say I am not a happy camper! In my opinion there is no way the differential should go bad twice on this low of mileage on a car that is extremely well maintained and not driven hard. The fact that the same repair is needed less than 2 years later is ridiculous. To me that means either the repair wasn't done well the first time or it means that the differential should have been replaced all together under warranty the first time.

This is the second Ford that I have owned and my family has owned many Fords. I absolutely love Mustangs in particular and have so since I was a kid. I will strongly consider going elsewhere for my next purchase if Ford does not make this right.

I would greatly appreciate anyone's help pushing this up the ladder at Ford. It is Ford case #9745506.

Thanks
Hello my name is Andres. I'm new to this forum stuff but i have a question about your issue cause i think i might be having the same problem. I'm getting a clunking sound on my right rear side of the car. It does it when I'm getting the car in gear and step on the gas but if i let the car coast in gear it stays quiet. The noise started very soft couple months back but now it's allot louder and annoying. I have a 2011 mustang gt 6speed with a 3.73 rear end it now has 61k miles. Are those the same issues your having with yours. I'm trying to find out if I'm having a suspension problem or a drivetrain problem. Either way the noise is driving me nuts.
Old 7/18/16, 09:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by smike308
I don't think the Ford rep has much of a presence on TMS any longer. Someone posted that she was on some other Mustang forum now.
Yep, guessing Mustang6G but not sure what other forums. It's frustrating, as she was very helpful on here for years.
Old 7/28/16, 07:30 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Mad.Stang.5oh
Hello my name is Andres. I'm new to this forum stuff but i have a question about your issue cause i think i might be having the same problem. I'm getting a clunking sound on my right rear side of the car. It does it when I'm getting the car in gear and step on the gas but if i let the car coast in gear it stays quiet. The noise started very soft couple months back but now it's allot louder and annoying. I have a 2011 mustang gt 6speed with a 3.73 rear end it now has 61k miles. Are those the same issues your having with yours. I'm trying to find out if I'm having a suspension problem or a drivetrain problem. Either way the noise is driving me nuts.
Sorry I was out of town.

I also have 3.73 gears but mine is not a clunking sound. The best I can describe it is that kind of airplane hum you hear when you are in the airplane. It gets louder as you increase speed (whether you are in gear or not in gear). As soon as you stop it goes away. So mine is definitely the differential.
Old 7/28/16, 07:31 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Yep, guessing Mustang6G but not sure what other forums. It's frustrating, as she was very helpful on here for years.
Yeah. Ford has continued to say they aren't going to help even though the dealer obviously did a half a** repair.

And on the ride home last yesterday afternoon my AC went out. Oh joy.
Old 7/28/16, 09:36 AM
V6 Member

Posted on another thread but FYI for anyone interested following this one. I got the AC looked at this morning. I took it to a independent repair shop (not to my Ford dealer since they wouldn't step in on the differential rebuild they did that only last 1.5 years). The shop said the clutch on the compressor is bad, the belts were going out and the compressor is grinding internally. Need a new compressor and receiver drier (have to replace the drier to get the warranty on the repair). $1,137.

Looks like Ford is really building some quality products...
Old 9/29/16, 03:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 1969 Boss429
Posted on another thread but FYI for anyone interested following this one. I got the AC looked at this morning. I took it to a independent repair shop (not to my Ford dealer since they wouldn't step in on the differential rebuild they did that only last 1.5 years). The shop said the clutch on the compressor is bad, the belts were going out and the compressor is grinding internally. Need a new compressor and receiver drier (have to replace the drier to get the warranty on the repair). $1,137.

Looks like Ford is really building some quality products...
Ah yes, yet another victim of the AC compressor. Great job Ford. Wonder how many repeat customers they are costing themselves with these crappy AC systems among other common issues?
Old 4/12/17, 02:31 PM

Sounds like the same problem mine is having. A loud steady noise, especially noticeable around 50 or 60 mph. It's just out of warranty and needs to be fixed again. FOR THE THIRD TIME. More details in this thread.