Custom Vanity Personalized License Plates & Brackets /Delete Brackets Threads Over The Years With Members Custom Plates

Front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 5/30/16, 09:58 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Front license plate

So. Those of you that don't live in one of those commie states that force you to have a front plate, how did you fill the front plate holes? Mine had one and was attached with those self tapping bolts. Now I need to figure out how to cover up those holes without a body shop. Has anyone used like a little plastic plug then used touch up paint?
Old 5/31/16, 09:04 AM
GT Member

So I just saw the bumper plug website. Is there any other color matched plugs that don't cost $33? Seems like no matter what you do, touch up paint will always look a different shade after a little while.
Old 5/31/16, 07:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A whole $33? Maybe you can get them for free in one of those commie states?
Old 6/1/16, 04:45 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by mikes70mustang
So I just saw the bumper plug website. Is there any other color matched plugs that don't cost $33? Seems like no matter what you do, touch up paint will always look a different shade after a little while.
Yes, a tad bit expensive, but it's a good compromise. I installed a removable license plate bracket and the pricey plugs match my aftermarket stripes perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails Front license plate-sam_4398.jpg   Front license plate-sam_4399.jpg   Front license plate-sam_4401.jpg  
Old 6/1/16, 05:55 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by orng302
A whole $33? Maybe you can get them for free in one of those commie states?
I wish they were free. Mandating a front plate is ridiculous. I came from IL where Chicago rules the state and all the Chicago rules go for the rest of the state.
Old 6/1/16, 05:57 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
Yes, a tad bit expensive, but it's a good compromise. I installed a removable license plate bracket and the pricey plugs match my aftermarket stripes perfectly.
On my other car at least I used rivet nuts and not a stupid self tapping bolt when I lived in IL
Old 6/4/16, 10:19 AM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You think that's expensive... I contacted that Bumper Plugs company for mine, and because they don't normally stock School Bus Yellow it was going to be over $100 to get them.

I'm still considering my options, for now the plate stays on.
Old 6/4/16, 10:51 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,619 Posts
Originally Posted by Skrapmetal
You think that's expensive... I contacted that Bumper Plugs company for mine, and because they don't normally stock School Bus Yellow it was going to be over $100 to get them.

I'm still considering my options, for now the plate stays on.
IMHO get generic bumper plugs from the dealer and buy touch up paint.
Old 6/4/16, 11:34 AM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
IMHO get generic bumper plugs from the dealer and buy touch up paint.
I was going to do that... but the problem got deeper when I took the plate bracket off. The dealership I bought it from is a high-end one that uses fancy chrome plate frames. With fancy chrome screws... which are pointy and longer than they need to be...

See where this is going?

They put the screws in far enough on the front to gouge the bumper, so just putting in plugs is a no-go for me now.

I'm going to live with the front plate and switch out a cool black powdercoated license plate with a 3D chrome running pony for car shows. For now. Eventually I am going to either repair and repaint the whole bumper, or fill the holes and get someone to put on some stripes to extend the hood stripes down over the bumper which would cover the bad spots.

It's frustrating.
Old 6/4/16, 08:36 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Originally Posted by Skrapmetal
I was going to do that... but the problem got deeper when I took the plate bracket off. The dealership I bought it from is a high-end one that uses fancy chrome plate frames. With fancy chrome screws... which are pointy and longer than they need to be...

See where this is going?

They put the screws in far enough on the front to gouge the bumper, so just putting in plugs is a no-go for me now.

I'm going to live with the front plate and switch out a cool black powdercoated license plate with a 3D chrome running pony for car shows. For now. Eventually I am going to either repair and repaint the whole bumper, or fill the holes and get someone to put on some stripes to extend the hood stripes down over the bumper which would cover the bad spots.

It's frustrating.
That does stink! Maybe extending the stripes would be the cheapest solution.
Old 6/4/16, 08:39 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Originally Posted by Gravydog
Forcing people to damage their vehicles with holes is terrible & disgusting, in my always-right honest opinion.
& having 2 plates is a waste of your tax $!!!
same with dealer stickers/frames.
junk! I wouldn't accept a new vehicle with a dealer sticker on my new paint!!
no way!!!
My dealership tried to put their sticker on one of my cars and I asked for a 5k advertising fee deduction. They removed the sticker and now know to never put one on any of my cars.
Old 6/5/16, 04:54 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
My dealership tried to put their sticker on one of my cars and I asked for a 5k advertising fee deduction. They removed the sticker and now know to never put one on any of my cars.
I bought mine off the showroom floor, so the sticker was already on. And as much as I like my dealer, I took mine off....it was as easy as removing a Colorform (do they still make those?).

But if I bought my car from a certain dealer in Rhode Island I might have left it on.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
TymeSlayer (12/8/16)
Old 6/5/16, 07:16 PM
GT Member

I got mine from Carmax. The guy said, "your buying a boss, I bet you want this off because your a real car person" I said yep. And they took it off when they washed it before I took it
Old 8/3/16, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can get the plugs in smaller 3/8" diameter at your local True Value, and if the bumper has been drilled for the standard screws, they will push right in without drilling the holes bigger. I got 1K urethane base coat from Quality Paint online and then prepped,primed,base coated, several coats of clear and color sand to match the level of finish of the bumper. The small size virtually disappears on the bumper. I painted four so I had an extra pair.
Old 8/11/16, 09:18 PM
GT Member

I also ended up with the bumper plugs. They match perfectly. The wife didn't complain too much about the price
Old 10/14/16, 02:06 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Use a fine round file and smooth out the holes and tell everyone it there to help cool the engine bay down!
Old 10/14/16, 02:23 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by TymeSlayer
Use a fine round file and smooth out the holes and tell everyone it there to help cool the engine bay down!
Lol>>that's funny
TymeSlayer (11/5/16)
Old 10/17/16, 07:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer (11/5/16)
Old 1/18/17, 03:52 PM
V6 Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
What I found odd was that even though my Boss had the 'no front plate' option, it was still altered with two small spots where the bracket would have gone. I realize they likely had a form for the bumper regardless of the options selected, but what is the point of ordering the no drill bumper if it is still going to have small dimples as opposed to a smooth surface?
Old 1/19/17, 12:55 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by cholmes1
What I found odd was that even though my Boss had the 'no front plate' option, it was still altered with two small spots where the bracket would have gone. I realize they likely had a form for the bumper regardless of the options selected, but what is the point of ordering the no drill bumper if it is still going to have small dimples as opposed to a smooth surface?
No drill bumper was not an option. It was just letting your dealer know not to mount a front plate. Boss had limited options.
seats & rear (torsen)
Floor mats & car cover
Also Yellow Blaze was an option for a short time. Some say no to this, but I say... If it changed the price of the car it's an option of $495.00.

Quick Reply: Front license plate