GT

Airbag light turns on intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 5/29/16, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbag light turns on intermittently

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, as I have just recently acquired my used 2015 GT. I'm loving the car so far, however I'm having a weird issue come up from time to time. I live in Northern California where the temperature is never too hot, but I have noticed when the car is in the sun for a few hours, the airbag light will come on upon startup. It will stay on the whole drive. However, in the cool mornings and nights, I don't have this issue at all. Seems to be the heat that's causing some sensor to malfunction.

Has anyone experienced this in their s550 mustang? My car is still within its bumper to bumper warranty coverage, so I'll most likely take it in to have it checked out. Any ideas to what the issue might be could help cut down on the amount of time it takes to diagnose. Thanks in advance for your responses.
Old 5/31/16, 10:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would carry it back to the dealer!
Old 5/31/16, 12:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
By chance do you have anything in the passenger seat. If you have anything in it with weight it will come on if it doesn't weight enough.
Old 6/10/16, 09:22 PM

not to be a dick, but why are you posting in a forum? take it in to the dealership! airbags arent something to mess with
Old 6/24/16, 10:40 PM

The dealer serviced the issue, found a loose wire harness associated with the airbag system. Thought that fixed the problem. After 1 day, the light came back on when the car sat in the sun for a while. Taking it back Monday for another service appointment. The only time this happens is when the car is left out in direct sunlight for a few hours.
Old 6/6/17, 11:00 AM

Having the same issue

I also have the issue with my 2015 but now the light stays on all the time. Took it to the dealer and they said it was a loose connection and probably reset the system. The light came back on two days later. Did your dealer find the problem? At the same time this started happening the backup camera started shorting out, not sure if it's related.

Old 8/17/17, 02:54 PM

Same issue

Yeah my airbag light comes on when the car sits outside and its hot outside and my backup camera also is starting to short out...guess time to go to the dealership....crap part my car has 35k miles on it

Last edited by Jason Wieber; 8/17/17 at 02:56 PM.
Old 5/8/18, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by TX Ikon
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, as I have just recently acquired my used 2015 GT. I'm loving the car so far, however I'm having a weird issue come up from time to time. I live in Northern California where the temperature is never too hot, but I have noticed when the car is in the sun for a few hours, the airbag light will come on upon startup. It will stay on the whole drive. However, in the cool mornings and nights, I don't have this issue at all. Seems to be the heat that's causing some sensor to malfunction.

Has anyone experienced this in their s550 mustang? My car is still within its bumper to bumper warranty coverage, so I'll most likely take it in to have it checked out. Any ideas to what the issue might be could help cut down on the amount of time it takes to diagnose. Thanks in advance for your responses.
Have you figured out the issue? Same thing going on in my car.
Old 6/17/18, 05:04 PM

Same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago - both the backup camera issue and the passenger bag one. There was a major heatwave at the time. Today the airbag lamp blinked on for a couple of seconds and then switched off again although there was no major heat - the car just hit a few bumps. Do you guys have any news? Maybe at least an idea whether it's just an indication bug or the airbag is actually switching off?
Old 6/24/18, 11:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Before going to the dealer and loosing a couple of hundred bucks, maybe it's a weak fuse or relay connection. Find all the fuse panel locations in your owners manual. Open the covers and press on every fuse, diode and relay in the panels. Maybe one of them isn't quite seated properly.
Old 5/19/20, 09:15 AM

Were you able to get this fixed?