Ecoboost

Convertables?

Search this Thread

Old 5/14/16, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convertables?

Doesn't anyone test or comment on the good and bad about 2015/16 convertibles? Air noise, buffeting? Top operation? Leaks? Problems? Handling?

TIA!
Old 5/15/16, 09:20 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Yes on convertibles but not so much on convertables...
Old 5/15/16, 10:13 PM

Ha, ha!! My bad.

Any comments on the original question?

Thanks!
Old 5/16/16, 09:03 PM

My 2016 does not seem much different to the 2014 we rented in Florida in terms of wind noise and turbulence. It seems to handle great and is plenty fast enough for my needs. Our average over the past two weeks of mixed town/highway with roof up and down is 27 mpg regular.

On the interstate on Friday I noticed I was doing over 80 at 2500 rpm and I was just resting my foot on the pedal.

We did buy a wind deflector from lovetheride.com and that cuts down on the turbulence a lot. Not cheap, but definitely worth it. We are able to drive around with the roof down in mid 50’s temps without too much trouble.

Roof goes up and down without any issues and I love that the trunk space is constant, and generous, unlike its competitors. The single handle is way nicer than the 2014 double latch.

Shaker Pro Stereo sounds amazing with roof up or down.

So far, having a great time with my first Mustang.

Last edited by wrightworth; 5/16/16 at 09:07 PM.
Old 5/30/16, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Air Deflectors...

I looked at the 'Love-The-Ride" deflector...but decided not to buy...the horizontal section which covers the rear seat area blocks any major front seat adjustment and has to be strapped down into the rear seat. The unit is quite expensive and difficult to store if you are also filling the trunk with luggage, etc.
Positive aspect: semi-secure cover for temp storage of items below on the rear seat/foot well and best wind blockage.
I bought an inexpensive net deflector that only straps to the front seat backs. I feel that it blocks most of the wind and cost about 1/10 the price. Negative aspect: no wind blockage for rear seat/foot well, no visual blockage of items sitting in rear seats.
I have been happy with the amount of wind blockage provided especially if the side windows are up.
Old 5/30/16, 09:18 PM

Can you tell me where you bought the fabric one from? I saw it when I was researching them for the new car, but preferred the look of the one I bought. However, I have thought it would be cool to get one for a rental car, now I know how nice it is to use, but I cannot seem to find the fabric one online anymore. The website linking from the YouTube site seems to be gone.

One note on the seat movement with Love-the-ride. It certainly would not allow you to recline the seat more than a few notches, but lateral seat movement s great. With the seat in my normal driving position (I'm 5’8") there is about 6 inches extra seat travel before the head rest touches the deflector. At that point, there is about one to two inches of space between the back of that seat and the front of the rear seat. Does the fabric deflector allow seats to move independent of each other without causing problems?

The biggest downside of the LTR model is definitely storing it in the trunk when not in use. I have the subwoofer installed and it takes up one of the quarter panels where the unit should fit. It still goes in, but at a diagonal instead of across the back. I leave mine in place all the time because there is just two of us and it does provide a "security" from prying eyes.
Old 6/6/16, 02:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Love the Ride Upate...

I have been using a 'flexible' screen wind deflector with fair results. To help cut draft turbulence I usually drive with the windows up when it's chilly out. Yesterday I was out cruising and the ambient wind was gusting between 20 and 30 mph. The flexible wind screen consistently was bent over whenever a side gust hit and a multiple page paper map folio was nearly blown out of the backseat. When the temperature became quite warm, I needed to lower the windows...but the wind deflector was literally twisted out of the way. I like driving on cool days with the top down, the deflector up and the windows up. However, now that the days are getting warmer, the wind deflector just can't withstand getting hit with side winds when the windows are down.
So...I am eating my own words...I just ordered a Love The Ride deflector. The LTR deflector is much more robust and rigid than my much cheaper flexible screen deflector and it also protects any loose items in the rear seats from being blasted out of the car.