Sponsored By:

MGW Shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 5/4/16, 10:52 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MGW Shifter?

Hey guys,

been thinking about upgrading my shifter to the MGW shifter, but before I do so I have a few questions for those of you who have mgw shifters.

1. Does the MGW shifter have a shorter throw compared to stock?

2. Do you honestly experience less missed shifts with it?

3. how long did it take you to install it?

4. Overall, do you feel it was worth the dollars you've spent?

thanks!
Old 5/5/16, 07:23 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Welcome... please use the search feature on our forum. The MGW topic has been discussed uber times on here. I've even posted a thread/several about my personal experience with them.

1) yes. 25%
2) yes.
3) 2-3 hours.
4) most definitely.

I have a 1st gen.
Old 5/5/16, 08:42 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by SickShade14
Hey guys,

been thinking about upgrading my shifter to the MGW shifter, but before I do so I have a few questions for those of you who have mgw shifters.

thanks!
1. I noticed no difference in the throws
2. I experience less missed shifts, but every once in a while I still miss 3rd
3. It took me a number of hours to install, the race spec version takes longer
4. I had a gift card that covered most of the cost. If I had paid full price, I would have been disappointed. There are other shifters with brackets that eliminate most of the missed shifts and have shorter throws

NVH will really be increased also. Check my review if you'd like. I have a video as well

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...review-540649/
Old 5/5/16, 12:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SickShade14
Hey guys,

thanks!
Just installed the compact race spec a little over a month ago. The shifts are slightly shorter. Not a huge difference but definitely noticable. MGW has a reason for not making it to short. Something to do with leverage. There is more info on their site about it. I also have yet to miss a shift with it. Seems the harder you shift the better it is. Install was about 3 hours but that was taking an insane amount of breaks (kept having people stop by). If I had to do it again I could probably do it in about half that time. As far as if it's worth it that would depend on the person. If you just want shorter shifts go with another type, but if you want a rock solid shifter that is hard mounted to the trans and is race car quality the MGW is the way to go. NVH is only slightly increased and in my car I can barely notice it.

Last edited by imeyers302; 5/5/16 at 12:09 PM.
Old 5/5/16, 03:11 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The MGW is the very best After Market Shifter one can purchase, Yes it's expensive, but the best and most important feature is being able to Adjust the Horizontal Shift Gate, So one can get the shift fine tuned, so it just snaps into gear, and from 2nd to 3rd. If adjusted correctly you won't miss any shifts! It is Rock Solid and shifting will become second nature!!! No other After Market shifter allows you to adjust the Horizontal Gate to get it dead nuts on!
Old 5/5/16, 03:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you look hard enough there are discount codes available for the MGW. Usually on their FB page. I had 7% off and compared to other mods 460$ including shipping is nothing as far as cost goes. I installed it myself in my garage on jackstands. It isnt difficult. I certainly dont miss third anymore at high rpms. I think it was worth it
Old 5/5/16, 05:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
I cant speak to the Race spec version. I have a gen 1 or 2 I guess, and I love it.

1. Does the MGW shifter have a shorter throw compared to stock? Yes I could tell a difference, but I dont know how much shorter it is.

2. Do you honestly experience less missed shifts with it? Yes I had the 2-3 shift issue, and this helped. It isnt 100% but way way better.

3. how long did it take you to install it? I dont wrench on cars so I was slow and took my time. 3.5-4 hours?

4. Overall, do you feel it was worth the dollars you've spent? Yes. It is one of my best and favorite mods.

With this version I cant tell if there is any NVH.
Old 5/10/16, 06:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A word of caution if you are running an aftermarket driveshaft. I have a 2013 V6. I bought an adjustable upper rear control arm and when my shop installed it and adjusted the pinion angle it started rubbing on the shifter under acceleration. I have a 4" dia DS made by the Axle Exchange. I asked George at MGW if there is anything i can do and he said nothing with the shifter. I would have to switch to a 3.5" dia DS. That is not an option for me. So my shop is going to readjust until it stops rubbing. The only other alternative would be to adjust the rear motor mounts.

Just wanted to throw that out there for the peeps running a 4" DS on a lowered car.

Last edited by V6 Driver; 5/10/16 at 06:54 AM.
Old 5/10/16, 09:39 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by V6 Driver
A word of caution if you are running an aftermarket driveshaft. I have a 2013 V6. I bought an adjustable upper rear control arm and when my shop installed it and adjusted the pinion angle it started rubbing on the shifter under acceleration. I have a 4" dia DS made by the Axle Exchange. I asked George at MGW if there is anything i can do and he said nothing with the shifter. I would have to switch to a 3.5" dia DS. That is not an option for me. So my shop is going to readjust until it stops rubbing. The only other alternative would be to adjust the rear motor mounts.

Just wanted to throw that out there for the peeps running a 4" DS on a lowered car.
oh wow, thanks for the info. Definitely will keep that in mind when i upgrade my driveshift.