05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Assorted Repair Questions

Old 5/3/16, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Assorted Repair Questions

1) The Hood

I've noticed one of my wash spray doodads on my hood is not fully pushed in (lays at a angle, as if only one of two prongs is properly seated). What is the process for repairing that?
I'm under the impression it's "open hood, remove ton of screws, remove fire-protectant foam thingy (yes that's the technical term), and now I can finally fiddle with that spray doodad.

2) The Mirror

A while ago, I lost my drivers' side mirror due to an unfortunate incident with a neighbor's concept of parking space. I have since replaced it with a OEM quality order off American Muscle, but the glass rattles and given enough time/miles, will lose its set place that I dial in with the mirror control. Anyone have any clue how to fix this? I'd rather not drop $50 on yet another mirror assembly. I'd prefer I just somehow open it up, fix what I assume is again some plastic piece not being aligned properly or having broken off, and put it back together...

3) Spark Plugs

This is probably the wrong place for this, but I'm on a roll. What's all this about "adjusting gaps" on new spark plugs? I thought the process was "buy new spark plugs, remove old ones, coat new ones with this weird paste, and install, drink beer."

I ordered the NGK G-Power Platinum Performance Spark Plugs and Taylor Street Thunder 8mm Spark Plug Wires (both from AmericanMuscle) for my ~80k tune-up, for reference.

Thanks, all!
Old 5/3/16, 03:33 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Spark plugs should always be gapped before install. Also not sure what you're coating them with...

The electrode needs the proper gap for a proper spark. I'm not sure what your specific engine requires, but it will not run as well with an improper gap. They sell tools for like $2 at any parts store.
The following users liked this post:
CGordini (5/3/16)
Old 5/3/16, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeywhat
Also not sure what you're coating them with...
Per the American Muscle install instructions:

New plugs should be installed using a film coating of Motorcraft high-temp nickel anti-seize lubricant on the ground electrode shield. Do not coat the electrode strap.
So, well...that, I guess.

Thanks for the rest of the tips. Sounds like I've got a fun weekend of experimenting ahead of me...