Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

New suspension installed for track days

Search this Thread

Old 3/28/16, 05:26 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
New suspension installed for track days

I've been collecting suspension parts over the last ice age (winter in the Northern states), and tomorrow everything will be on the car! I put together what I hope will be a setup soft enough for daily driving, but stiff enough to increase track performance. Specifically corner entry/exit speeds, better damping for rough track patches and rapid weight transitions, and give me more driver confidence by nearly eliminating pitch/dive and roll. I've done 7 track days on stock Track Pack suspension, I'm confident and comfortable in the car the way it is, and I've reached the point in my driving career where I'm ready for the car to give me more.

My setup includes:
Steeda Sports, Steeda PH bar, HD upper strut mounts which give you more camber adjustment, Steeda competition adjustable front sway and Koni Yellow adjustable dampers. I left the stock rear sway as my research and experiences (backed up by other Mustang racers) suggest the late model S197 does not need a stiffer rear end. Need all the traction possible back there. I can fine tune stiffness in the rear with dampers.

I'll post pictures and initial feedback soon. My first 2 track days for the year are May 29th, and June 6th, so I'll have detailed reviews following up those events.

Super stoked! I'm hoping this gets me to where I want my car to be with some tuning. A track monster on the weekends and a sharp, firm handling car in daily driving.
Old 3/28/16, 05:33 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,199 Posts
Sounds good!
Keep us posted.
Old 3/28/16, 06:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
I've been collecting suspension parts over the last ice age (winter in the Northern states), and tomorrow everything will be on the car! I put together what I hope will be a setup soft enough for daily driving, but stiff enough to increase track performance. Specifically corner entry/exit speeds, better damping for rough track patches and rapid weight transitions, and give me more driver confidence by nearly eliminating pitch/dive and roll. I've done 7 track days on stock Track Pack suspension, I'm confident and comfortable in the car the way it is, and I've reached the point in my driving career where I'm ready for the car to give me more.

My setup includes:
Steeda Sports, Steeda PH bar, HD upper strut mounts which give you more camber adjustment, Steeda competition adjustable front sway and Koni Yellow adjustable dampers. I left the stock rear sway as my research and experiences (backed up by other Mustang racers) suggest the late model S197 does not need a stiffer rear end. Need all the traction possible back there. I can fine tune stiffness in the rear with dampers.

I'll post pictures and initial feedback soon. My first 2 track days for the year are May 29th, and June 6th, so I'll have detailed reviews following up those events.

Super stoked! I'm hoping this gets me to where I want my car to be with some tuning. A track monster on the weekends and a sharp, firm handling car in daily driving.
Your set up is almost exactly the same as mine. I think you'll love it. I ended up doing the rear sways when the factory sway bushings failed. Otherwise, I'd only run an adjustable front like you are doing. I look forward to your review.
Old 3/28/16, 06:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Looking Forward to your updates and hopefully a few videos.

Is sounds like a nice setup. I am looking to get into some track days this year..
Old 3/28/16, 08:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER

My setup includes:

We appreciate your support & review when you get everything on the car ... you will be very happy with the outcome, you made a great choice going with the Steeda set-up!

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 3/29/16, 06:10 PM
Banned

Thanks everyone!

Ok, got to spend some time with the car today. Here are my initial observations:

1) I was expecting the car to be very stiff, but going from Track Pack to this setup the increase in stiffness was only very minor. Bumps, potholes and cracks don't feel much different then before. I have the Koni's all the way on soft, so I'm sure than helps.

2) WOW, I am yet to notice body roll! This is awesome, the car stays flat! I'm sure there is a little roll, but it is SO well controlled and so slow it is hard to notice even when taking clover lamps at ludicrous speed! The competition front adjustable sway is worth every penny!

3) As a result of (2) and -2 deg of camber on the front thanks to Steeda HD strut mounts, there is a tremendous amount of grip mid corner. The car hunkers down and just grips. As a matter of fact I got a tiny bit of oversteer when I turned in even more mid ramp today. Why, BECAUSE RACE CAR!

3) Pitch on accel is almost gone, and dive on decel is 75-80% reduced. You hit the brakes hard, and the nose just moves a little. I like it!

4) I did a few spirited acceleration runs, and I got nearly no wheel hop, which is amazing for the worn Pirellis! I think the PH bar shocks, and springs are helping here too

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
We appreciate your support & review when you get everything on the car ... you will be very happy with the outcome, you made a great choice going with the Steeda set-up!

Best Regards,

TJ
Thanks TJ, I am really liking my setup so far! And the best part is, there is absolutely 0 increase in NVH with all the new suspension on the car. The HD mounts make no noise at all, even at low speed over bumps. Works as advertised. Thanks for great support, great product, and one awesome ride!

Can't wait to stiffen up the Konis and hit the road course. 2 more months!

EDIT: I also want to say a big THANK YOU to the team at Kenny's Lakes Area Auto Experts. The name says it all, what a professional bunch of individuals. They did everything right, and the car feels like it just came from the factory with all the mods. If you're Wayne Washtenaw, Oakland or Livingston counties, these are the guys to see.
Attached Thumbnails New suspension installed for track days-img_0677.jpg   New suspension installed for track days-img_0681.jpg   New suspension installed for track days-img_0683.jpg   New suspension installed for track days-img_0684.jpg  

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 3/29/16 at 06:56 PM.
Old 3/29/16, 06:19 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
So it can handle Michigan roads reasonably well? I want to eventually do a similar suspension setup, and I'm a little worried that the roads will just knock my teeth out.
Old 3/29/16, 06:28 PM
Banned

Hey Joey, that's what I was afraid of too! But no, not bad at all. And the gain in confidence in corners and transitions is totally worth it. Your teeth and spine will be just fine, and there will be an even bigger grin on your face as you approach tight turns
Old 3/29/16, 06:32 PM
Cobra R Member

I'll probably end up doing clutch /flywheel/driveshaft/gears first, but with any luck suspension will get done by the end of the year. Might go with a watt's link, though.
Old 3/29/16, 06:43 PM
Banned

Wow, lots of mods in your near future too. You're the second person to mention watts link the in the last week. What's your motivation for wanting one?

I ask because I track my car, and I still don't see it as mandatory equipment. If your car spends most of it's time on the street with occasional track weekends, I think there are better ways to go.
Old 3/29/16, 06:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Better composure on crap roads. It's definitely skittish on non track surfaces.

The thing with the drive train mods is that if I'm doing one I might as well do them all. Tianna out for flywheel (to cure that **** dual mass flywheel vibration...), might as well do clutch. Want to do track days, so my V6 driveshaft HAS to go. Driveshaft off? Might as well do gears. Can make a weekend out of it, and my bank account can punch me in the face all at the same time.
Old 3/29/16, 07:05 PM
Banned

Yeah, I get what you're saying about the drive train mods. Might as well get it all while you're in there.

I still think you'd be surprised what a good set of shocks will do in the back along with decent springs. I just noticed crawling under the back end that the PH bar is pretty horizontal now with the rear springs dropping the chassis 1.25". It makes the back end feel a lot more planted. Probably not Watts planted, but for a fraction of the price? Totally worth it!

If you have the $$$ for the Watts, why not though.
Old 3/29/16, 07:12 PM
Cobra R Member

That'll be the determining factor. If I can swing it its going to happen, if not I'll stick with a PHB. It's the last thing I'm budgeting for suspension wise. Might also keep the sway bars stock, I'm not real sure. Springs/dampers for sure, plus whatever bar is necessary for that change. Only want a small drop in ride height. It is a daily after all... Even if it likely won't see winter after all these mods.
Old 3/30/16, 12:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
You should definitely invest in a lighter set of wheels. The stock TP wheels are so heavy. You can easily drop 6-10lb per corner with different wheels, which will make a HUGE difference in the way the car performs and feels.

I'd also suggest LCAs and LCA relocation brackets, as I did not see them listed in your items. Adjustable UCA and UCA mount if you haven't done those either.
Old 3/30/16, 06:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by laserred38
You should definitely invest in a lighter set of wheels. The stock TP wheels are so heavy. You can easily drop 6-10lb per corner with different wheels, which will make a HUGE difference in the way the car performs and feels.

I'd also suggest LCAs and LCA relocation brackets, as I did not see them listed in your items. Adjustable UCA and UCA mount if you haven't done those either.
Hey Pat, totally agree on wheels. That's why my track wheels are SVE drifts in 19x9.5. They are 5lbs lighter than Brembo wheels. I use the brembos as dailies.

I am hoping that I made my selections and adjustability options such that I'm done with suspension mods after this. I really don't want to be doing relocation of LCAs. I think I have a good chance of meeting my goals without having to do anything more than adjust tightness of front sway and dampers. We shall see.
Old 3/30/16, 10:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Good job on the Drifts! I'd argue that you should daily with those too lol. You'd get better mpg with the lighter wheels.

In the adjustable UCA - you should check the pinion angle. It may be within spec, but whenever you lower the car it does put a strain on the pinion. A one piece driveshaft with a CV joint would resolve that too though.

I'm sure your LCA angle is off too. Which the RLB correct. You wouldn't need adjustable LCAs though, just some solid boxed ones with stiffer bushings. You'd be surprised how much a complete rear package would take your car to the next level.

I've done mine in stages too. First had Koni Yellows, Steeda Boss 302 springs, J&M PHB and LCAs. Then I added all the BMR rear end stuff that I just mentioned and it transformed the car so much, even just on the street.
Old 3/30/16, 11:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
Ugh yea! All contest to that
Old 4/11/16, 07:19 PM
Banned

So I had a few weeks to let my new suspension settle and experience it in different driving situations. God, why didn't I do this sooner??

Car feels so planted and settled. Hunkered down is the best way I'd describe it. There is hardly any body toll to speak off, even in hard corners. The front is much more point and shoot. I have not observed any understeer yet. And I've pushed it pretty hard. I don't think I'll see any on the street.

I am amazed just how much grip the front end has now. It blows my mind. Keep turning the wheel and it simply delivers!

I have observed some more oversteer tendencies, but that's to be expected with a huge sway bar up front.

One thing I didn't expect, but I am yet to see any wheel hop on clutch drops and aggressive takeoffs. I get slip, chirp, but no hop. What a great bonus!

The only compromise to speak of is that the car rides harsher, you feel the potholes and expansion joints a bit more. But it isn't that bad at all, and the joy this new setup brings to driving the Mustang is totally worth it! Bar none.

My first track day with the new setup is May 28th. Will report more then. But it looks like the car will be better then ever. I have no doubt I'll be able to take a similarly driven S550 PP. And I think the Track versions of the SS are now also within reach. Bring it 1LEs!
Attached Thumbnails New suspension installed for track days-img_0688.jpg   New suspension installed for track days-img_0700.jpg   New suspension installed for track days-img_0701.jpg  

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 4/11/16 at 07:22 PM.
Old 4/11/16, 07:44 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
So I had a few weeks to let my new suspension settle and experience it in different driving situations. God, why didn't I do this sooner??
We try to tell people

Keep us updated on the track days!!

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 4/11/16, 07:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Great to hear 5.Monster!! Excited to hear your thoughts after the 28th May :-)

Quick Reply: New suspension installed for track days