Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2014 V6 + performance package top speed/driveshaft issues

Search this Thread

Old 2/16/14, 02:22 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
2014 V6 + performance package top speed/driveshaft issues

I've been reading up on the driveshaft issues with the recent V6 Mustangs. I've seen a couple folks mention that Ford may have fixed the issue with a redesigned driveshaft, released midway through the 2013 model year. I'm wondering if 1) that is indeed true and if the newer driveshafts are safe at higher speeds, and 2) if Ford raised the top speed for the V6 with performance package, as the ~112 limit is pretty ridiculous (my Focus SE can go faster.....).

Can anyone with a 2014 V6 with performance package confirm the top speed? Hopefully a new driveshaft won't be required to hit the road course...and that speed limiter seems low enough to possibly cause issues as well.
Old 2/16/14, 04:47 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
From what i remember from reading about the factory driveshafts on this Forum and maybe several other Mustang Forums, nothing has been changed to the factory driveshaft on the V6 Mustangs. Same replacement part numbers for 2011-2014 V6 Mustangs.
Old 2/16/14, 07:22 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nothing has been changed, same style shaft as all previous years, same speed limiter setting.
Old 2/16/14, 08:33 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Yep, nothing has changed. Ford spokeswoman said that if you want to go faster you should buy the V8. I thought that was a terrible answer and a slap in the face, but seems like the only way to go faster in the V6 is to get a one piece drive shaft and a tune to remove the limiter.
Old 2/16/14, 09:11 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There have been many to take the stock ds to 120 without issue but I wouldn't do it especially if you plan on doing road course work. I to plan on hitting the track once or twice a year and a one piece is in the near future before I do. While I think the spokeswoman made a douchebag comment she is kind of right. Most don't buy the V6 to go fast or track. Those of us that do buy the 6 do it because of the cost, mpg, etc. or in my case as a project car. There isn't a public highway in the U.S. that goes above 85 speed limit so no need to have the speed limiter higher.

Last edited by Ajcruz1; 2/16/14 at 09:30 AM.
Old 2/16/14, 09:21 AM
Cobra R Member

I guess a new driveshaft is on the short list, then.

And it is BS, as the car has almost the same power as the previous GT motor. It's no coincidence that the speed limiter is set so low...Ford screwed up by being cheap, and covered their tracks by just lowering the limiter a bit. It's completely absurd that a bone stock Focus SE has a higher top speed...
Old 2/16/14, 09:28 AM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeywhat
I guess a new driveshaft is on the short list, then. And it is BS, as the car has almost the same power as the previous GT motor. It's no coincidence that the speed limiter is set so low...Ford screwed up by being cheap, and covered their tracks by just lowering the limiter a bit. It's completely absurd that a bone stock Focus SE has a higher top speed...
It is pretty sad how a stock focus can go faster (taking years to get there though). If ford would have just put a one piece DS in the first place, they may have even gotten a few more buyers for the performance aspect. Id say stock shouldve came with 3.31 gears, one-piece aluminum ds, and at least 145 for the limiter. Also 18's instead of the sidewall loving 17's. Just my .02
Old 2/16/14, 09:34 AM
Cobra R Member

At least upgrade it with the **** performance package...
Old 2/16/14, 09:40 AM
FR500 Member

At least upgrade it with the **** performance package...
+1
If the performance pack came with gt suspension hardware, why not the driveshaft as well? It would be perfect
Old 2/16/14, 09:42 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Yep, nothing has changed. Ford spokeswoman said that if you want to go faster you should buy the V8. I thought that was a terrible answer and a slap in the face, but seems like the only way to go faster in the V6 is to get a one piece drive shaft and a tune to remove the limiter.
And much cheaper than buying a Gt. Easy fix too go faster. Tune and one piece aluminium driveshaft.
Old 2/16/14, 09:52 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by CCTking
+1
If the performance pack came with gt suspension hardware, why not the driveshaft as well? It would be perfect
They probably didn't as it would be an indictment on Ford that the stock driveshaft is indeed crap. Better to just admit nothing and say it works fine with the stock limiter.

I was just hoping to get a few track days in completely stock, before dropping a bunch of money into this. I know once I get a tune I'll want a complete exhaust, different intake, ported intake mani's, etc.

Oh well. Hopefully I can find a cheap but durable replacement.
Old 2/16/14, 09:54 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I guess a new driveshaft is on the short list, then.

And it is BS, as the car has almost the same power as the previous GT motor. It's no coincidence that the speed limiter is set so low...Ford screwed up by being cheap, and covered their tracks by just lowering the limiter a bit. It's completely absurd that a bone stock Focus SE has a higher top speed...
Bro, totally agree. Funny how the 11 plus 3.7's have nearly the equal power of 2010 Gt's yet people don't think of them as performance vehicles because of its v6 engine. Funny how the engine determines if a car is performance oriented yet puts down 1/4 mile and 0-60 mph times almost equal to 2010 Gt models.

The 11 plus v6 performance package comes with Gt suspension, high speed rated 19 inch radial tires like the Gt , 3:31 gears like many 2010 Gt models. 10 less HP compared too a 10 GT yet its not considered too be a real performance vehicle so that's why the driveshaft is not as good. That's insane and crap. A stock 11 plus v6 with 3:31 gears will run almost identical or maybe within 1 to 2 tenths behind a 2010 Gt but its not performance oriented. Bull crap.

Yes the Gt provides a higher level of performance compared to the V6 model but that doesn't mean the V6 model is what it was 10 years ago. People buy them because the car delivers amazing power and performance, great looks, handles well all for thousands less than a GT. Not everybody wants or needs a 420 HP car too drive too and from work and Wal Mart.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 2/16/14 at 10:00 AM.
Old 2/16/14, 09:58 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's all about unit cost, V6 cars are their price leader, so they were engineered cheaper.

And, I know, you're going to say they should have upgraded in the PP or in the premiums, but that would entail a large engineering change and lots of extra $$$, ain't gonna happen...

Everyone can grouse about it all you want but it is what it is, if you don't like it you either change cars or change parts until you do like it.
Old 2/16/14, 10:03 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
It's all about unit cost, V6 cars are their price leader, so they were engineered cheaper.

And, I know, you're going to say they should have upgraded in the PP or in the premiums, but that would entail a large engineering change and lots of extra $$$, ain't gonna happen...

Everyone can grouse about it all you want but it is what it is, if you don't like it you either change cars or change parts until you do like it.
And that's what I did. I got a one piece aluminium driveshaft. Problem solved but the 11 plus v6's are a performance machine and not just a secretary's slow car anymore. The Gt provides higher performance but that doesn't mean the v6 isn't performance inspired either.
Old 2/16/14, 10:21 AM
FR500 Member

If the Subaru BRZ (200hp), v6 camaro (heavy blind boat), hyundai genesis coupe (import), and a slew of other can be classified as performance vehicles then why doesnt anyone hold the 11+ v6 in the same standing? Also, all those others that i mentioned as well as many others come with a one piece driveshaft. Cmon ford. And i know it would take much to put the gt driveshaft under the car if they can put all the suspension bits as well. Hell we have the same transmission! Its just bolt and go!
Old 2/16/14, 10:40 AM
Cobra R Member

I've heard the GT shaft doesn't fit, but dont know for sure. It is ridiculous that so many people put this off as a non issue. Ive never heard of a modern car, performance or otherwise that grenades drive shafts so easily.
Old 2/16/14, 10:43 AM
FR500 Member

I've heard the GT shaft doesn't fit, but dont know for sure. It is ridiculous that so many people put this off as a non issue. Ive never heard of a modern car, performance or otherwise that grenades drive shafts so easily.
The only times ive heard of driveshafts that go boom is on drag cars and ridiculously high powered street cars. Never on a factory built machine. And idk how it wouldnt fit, maybe bolt pattern or something but to my knowledge the gt and v6 share rear axle, transmission, and other bits.
Old 2/16/14, 11:08 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by CCTking
If the Subaru BRZ (200hp), v6 camaro (heavy blind boat), hyundai genesis coupe (import), and a slew of other can be classified as performance vehicles then why doesnt anyone hold the 11+ v6 in the same standing? Also, all those others that i mentioned as well as many others come with a one piece driveshaft. Cmon ford. And i know it would take much to put the gt driveshaft under the car if they can put all the suspension bits as well. Hell we have the same transmission! Its just bolt and go!
Ford could of easily put a one piece driveshaft in the stangs and for next too nothing. Even the Gt doesn't have a one piece aluminum driveshaft.

As far as the V6 goes its absolutely a performance vehicle. It just doesn't get credit because of the previous v6 models back 5 plus years ago. The Nissan GTR and Porsch 911 both have 6 cylinders yet they are huge performance vehicles.

Its just primitive and dinosaur way of thinking about American performance cars that they have too have a v8 or their not a real performance car. All nonsense and untrue. That's like saying woman need too be barefoot , pregnant and in the kitchen where they belong if there a real woman. Woman shouldn't vote and can't be doctors, etc. Its an old narrow minded way many of the American performance enthusiasts think but its changing.

Look at the aftermarket world for us 3.7 owners. There are way more options out there now and tons of appearance and performance enhancements out there for us. Sure the current Gt provides a higher level of performance, nobody is going to argue that but our 3.7's will hold performance right with a 2010 and under Gt all day long.

I think the real issue is the 10 and under Gt owners suffered major butt hurt, tearing and bleeding when Ford changed the game with the 3.7 back in 2011. Consumers paid 5 to 8 thousand more for a Gt model when one year later the 11 V6 came out and provided the same performance results. Ouch, I can feel the 10 and under GT's pain.

Its actually like how the 2015 4 cylinder will be faster stock for stock against the 2014 V6 yet I don't think the V6 owners will have all that butt hurt the way the V8 owners suffer. V8 owners seem too suffer the most tearing and bleeding from butt hurt when it comes too performance.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 2/16/14 at 11:20 AM.
Old 2/16/14, 11:28 AM
GT Member

just change the shaft and remove the limiter, who cares about debating endlessly ford's motives, the problem was known years ago and the solution is already out there....
Old 2/16/14, 11:51 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr

Yep

Originally Posted by Rodimus_prime
just change the shaft and remove the limiter, who cares about debating endlessly ford's motives, the problem was known years ago and the solution is already out there....
And This^^ If you want to see what your car can do stock then thats cool, just don't go above the limit. Then you can change out the driveshaft and get a tune and see what its really got lap after lap. While I don't agree with some of the things Ford does we still have one of the most mod friendly cars out. Mod away gents and make it what you want it to be!

Quick Reply: 2014 V6 + performance package top speed/driveshaft issues