Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Cyle's Mod Thread

Search this Thread

Old 7/9/13, 02:14 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cyle's Mod Thread

I wanted to create this thread as a log for myself, a resource for anyone looking to do similar modifications, and somewhere where I can receive advice from anyone willing to give it on future mods. I'm more of an artist than a mechanic, so most of my mods are for show, but I'll probably get into some performance mods later. (Like the exhaust system.) And, I could definitely use some advice then.

I'm still not sold on the louvers. I've been debating on removing them ever since I got the car. They came with the package, otherwise I never would have gotten them in the first place. Sill mulling it over though. I'd be curious to know any thoughts on this.

So, lets start with some shots of my Pony the day I bought it:
Attached Thumbnails Cyle's Mod Thread-pony_a_low_01.jpg   Cyle's Mod Thread-pony_a_low_03.jpg   Cyle's Mod Thread-pony_a_high_02.jpg  

Last edited by Cyle; 7/9/13 at 02:27 PM.
Old 7/9/13, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great already!
Old 7/9/13, 02:26 PM
V6 Member

The first things I did were simple stuff like getting rid of the dealership sticker on the window. (I warned them not to put one on the bumper. I guess this was their alternative.)

Anyway:
Mod 1) Trunk Pocket Pod
Level) 13 year-old (I'd go younger, but you need some height.)

Pop out the factory tabs with a screw driver and use the same ones to install the pocket pod. My car is black on black, and is parked outside next to a tree line. I knew keeping it clean was going to be a chore, so I wanted someplace to keep my spot-cleaning equipment. At about 10" wide, the pockets are not that large, but they are useful.
Attached Thumbnails Cyle's Mod Thread-pony_mod_pockets_02.jpg   Cyle's Mod Thread-pony_mod_pockets_05.jpg   Cyle's Mod Thread-pony_a_trunk_01.jpg   Cyle's Mod Thread-pony_b_trunk_03.jpg  
Old 7/9/13, 02:50 PM
V6 Member

Next up, blacking out the rest of the car. I wanted a blank slate before I started putting any color on the car, so the orange and red reflectors needed to go.

Mod 2) Vinyl Blackout Stickers
Level) Sticky and Tricky (but not too bad)

The vinyl was pretty easy to work with. The only one that gave me trouble was the rear break light. A little work with a heat gun an a pin helped out though. (Tip: Do not get too close with the heat gun with this stuff. A little warmth can get it just soft enough to mold around corners. Any more and it warps.)
Attached Thumbnails Cyle's Mod Thread-pony_b_low_01.jpg   Cyle's Mod Thread-pony_b_low_02.jpg   Cyle's Mod Thread-pony_b_low_03.jpg   Cyle's Mod Thread-pony_b_low_05.jpg  
Old 7/9/13, 03:14 PM
V6 Member

Since I have no garage, any addition that helps keep her clean is a plus.

Mod 3) Front Mud Flaps (A little out of order, but I don't feel like switching the posts around.)
Level) You could do this after a half-bottle of vodka. (Assuming you're conscious.)

Just pop out the factory tabs and use them to install the flaps. They do seem to work pretty well. After driving on a dirt road there was a decent splattering on the flaps and very little on the paint. It's hard to see in the pictures, but the back of them has a texture that makes them at least a bit more stylish.
Attached Thumbnails Cyle's Mod Thread-pony_mod_flaps_ab_01.jpg   Cyle's Mod Thread-pony_mod_flaps_ab_02.jpg  
Old 7/9/13, 03:30 PM
V6 Member

OK, here's the big one. I never did like the faux gas cap. I had the equipment to remove it before I even got the car. I'm going to use a number of posts here, because I want a good record of this. And, there is something I wish to show the manufacturer as well. There were two mistakes made during this mod, one by the manufacturer and one by me. But, lets take a look:

Mod 4) Removal of faux gas cap.
Level) Pain in the ***.

For starters, this actually involves removing the back deck lid, as the faux cap is actually just a decoration on it. After unscrewing it from the back, there are eight tabs you need to unhook. The bottom four are pretty easy with any thin plastic tool. But, the top four are under a curved section and require some ingenuity. I used a thin strip of balsa wood. I destroyed it in the process, but it was pliable enough to push in the tabs and didn't leave any markings at all on the paint. (Something that I couldn't say for the plastic tool.)
Attached Thumbnails Cyle's Mod Thread-pony_mod_deckpanel_a_00.jpg  
Old 7/9/13, 03:33 PM
V6 Member

For anyone wondering, here is what the back of your Pony looks like when the rear deck lid is removed. That big bump in the middle needs to be sliced off.
Attached Thumbnails Cyle's Mod Thread-pony_mod_deckpanel_a_01.jpg  
Old 7/9/13, 03:38 PM
V6 Member

The Scary Part

Taking a drill to your brand new ride is not the easiest thing in the world. I must admit, I could feel my heart at this point. Anyway, I needed a starting hole for what I was about to do next.
Attached Thumbnails Cyle's Mod Thread-pony_mod_deckpanel_b_01.jpg   Cyle's Mod Thread-pony_mod_deckpanel_c_01.jpg  
Old 7/9/13, 03:46 PM
V6 Member

The Really Scary Part

A 5" hole saw. This took some time and patience. Not to mention a steady arm. I recommend a folding chair for you to sit on for this one. You have to let the saw do all the work here. Try to push it at all and it will grip, then fly off. There's a small nick under the bump in my pics that is the result of this happening. It didn't matter that much, as the entire back will be covered when it's done. (Eye shields or glasses are a must for this, btw. Metal shavings went everywhere.)
Attached Thumbnails Cyle's Mod Thread-pony_mod_deckpanel_d_02.jpg   Cyle's Mod Thread-pony_mod_deckpanel_e_02.jpg   Cyle's Mod Thread-pony_mod_deckpanel_g_01.jpg   Cyle's Mod Thread-pony_mod_deckpanel_h_01.jpg  

Last edited by Cyle; 7/9/13 at 03:52 PM. Reason: safety advice
Old 7/9/13, 03:52 PM
V6 Member

The first mistake.

Here was the first mistake. The 5" hole saw was too small, even though it's exactly what the directions ask for. The new deck lid panel is flush to the back of the car and there was still too much of the bump sticking out to place it on properly. So, I needed to improvise. Fortunately, I have a small hand-held metal saw. I cut out slices and hammered them in.
Attached Thumbnails Cyle's Mod Thread-pony_mod_deckpanel_i_01.jpg   Cyle's Mod Thread-pony_mod_deckpanel_j_01.jpg  
Old 7/9/13, 03:55 PM
V6 Member

Next came the anti-rust gel. I was pretty liberal with this stuff, considering how much exposed metal I had.
Attached Thumbnails Cyle's Mod Thread-pony_mod_deckpanel_k_01.jpg  
Old 7/9/13, 03:57 PM
V6 Member

Next, prep the surface for the adhesive. Don't get this anywhere you don't want to. It does not dry clear.
Attached Thumbnails Cyle's Mod Thread-pony_mod_deckpanel_l_01.jpg   Cyle's Mod Thread-pony_mod_deckpanel_m_01.jpg  
Old 7/9/13, 04:02 PM
V6 Member

The second mistake.

Finally, prepare the new deck lid panel by removing the corner points of the adhesive, place it where you want it (carefully), then remove the rest of the adhesive. Slide along the adhesive lines using a microfiber cloth to make sure it's all down.

Have you ever gotten a scratch on your car that only you will see unless someone gets real close? Here was my mistake. Remember when I said that those metal shavings go everywhere? Well, one jumped on my cloth. When I ran my hand along the adhesive line... I ended up getting out my polish and wax and went at it for a good ten minutes.
Attached Thumbnails Cyle's Mod Thread-pony_mod_deckpanel_n_01.jpg   Cyle's Mod Thread-pony_mod_deckpanel_o_01.jpg  
Old 7/9/13, 04:06 PM
V6 Member

Done!

Nice and clean! For some reason, the fact that they made the faux cap so hard to remove, just made me want to do it even more. I think I'll do the tires next.
Attached Thumbnails Cyle's Mod Thread-pony_mod_deckpanel_p_01.jpg   Cyle's Mod Thread-pony_mod_deckpanel_p_02.jpg  
Old 7/9/13, 04:08 PM
V6 Member

And, I got a souvenir out of it...
Attached Thumbnails Cyle's Mod Thread-pony_mod_deckpanel_q_01.jpg  
Old 7/9/13, 04:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

At first I thought you were completely insane when I saw that drill and saw piece... but hey the finished job looks great. cant wait to see the rest!
Old 7/9/13, 04:36 PM

Looks great so far! Are you thinking about suspension? I want to lower mine just a tad to get rid of the wheel-well space. Thoughts?
Old 7/9/13, 08:31 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Jonathan73x
At first I thought you were completely insane when I saw that drill and saw piece... but hey the finished job looks great. cant wait to see the rest!
I thought at the very least this would amuse people. And, you are far from the only person who thought I was insane. Including myself.

Originally Posted by mtaback1221
Looks great so far! Are you thinking about suspension? I want to lower mine just a tad to get rid of the wheel-well space. Thoughts?
The lowered suspension does look nice. Personally, the well doesn't seem to bother me, but to show off the car it's a nice touch. I also live in Jersey, which is pretty much the national breeding ground for pot holes. So, I need to keep that in mind, too.
Old 7/10/13, 12:13 AM
V6 Member

Sweet thread thus far. Love watching the progression of your car. Can't wait to see more!
Old 7/13/13, 08:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Cyle
A 5" hole saw. This took some time and patience. Not to mention a steady arm. I recommend a folding chair for you to sit on for this one. You have to let the saw do all the work here. Try to push it at all and it will grip, then fly off. There's a small nick under the bump in my pics that is the result of this happening. It didn't matter that much, as the entire back will be covered when it's done. (Eye shields or glasses are a must for this, btw. Metal shavings went everywhere.)
I just about had a heart attack when I saw the 5'' drill bit but after seeing the end results it looks great!

Quick Reply: Cyle's Mod Thread