Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

MGW Shifter Installed -- Rattle at 3k RPM

Old 9/16/12, 01:41 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MGW Shifter Installed -- Rattle at 3k RPM

Hey all -- just finished installing an MGW shifter assembly and now I'm getting a small buzzing/rattling noise at around 3k RPMs when the car is in gear. Which gear doesn't seem to matter. It almost sounds like a loose washer rattling on a stud but I'm sure that I tightened everything down.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 9/16/12, 07:45 AM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't have the rattle, is the shifter bolt tight at the base? I know I left mine a little loose to adjust the **** and meant to go back after it was in place and forgot. Had to open and retighten the jam nut.

Also make sure to use the Dynamat they provide, it makes a big difference on sound deading.
Old 9/16/12, 08:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There must be something loose, no one else seems to have that issue as far as i can recall.
I know the thought of going back through the entire installation really sucks
Old 9/16/12, 10:03 AM

vibration noise with mgw

Originally Posted by Tron84
There must be something loose, no one else seems to have that issue as far as i can recall.
I know the thought of going back through the entire installation really sucks
I've had the MGW for a couple months and yes, I also get the kind of rattle at arount 3,000. Not with heavy acceleration however. I chalk it up to transmission noise that has probably always been there, but because the MGW rear support is bolted directly to the frame now, without the half pound block of rubber that used to be there in the stock shifter to absorb noise and vibration, I think that existing noise is directly dransmitted to the frame. Much better shifting though, no?
Old 9/16/12, 10:26 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by dleblancbu
I've had the MGW for a couple months and yes, I also get the kind of rattle at arount 3,000. Not with heavy acceleration however. I chalk it up to transmission noise that has probably always been there, but because the MGW rear support is bolted directly to the frame now, without the half pound block of rubber that used to be there in the stock shifter to absorb noise and vibration, I think that existing noise is directly dransmitted to the frame. Much better shifting though, no?
This is what I was kind of wondering. I'm hearing a lot more noise with the new shifter. But this is the only one that actually sounds like something might be loose.

But yes-- the shifting is MUCH improved
Old 9/16/12, 11:55 AM
Len
GT Member

Originally Posted by Skandocious
This is what I was kind of wondering. I'm hearing a lot more noise with the new shifter. But this is the only one that actually sounds like something might be loose.

But yes-- the shifting is MUCH improved
This may or may not help but it's easy to do and worth a try. On my '08 I also had an MGW (I know it's not the same shifter as you have but it doesn't matter) that rattled. I couldn't figure it out and it was driving me crazy. Turned out to be the jam nut. Even though it was tight against the shift **** there was some resonance coming thru the threads. I used blue loctite and the problem was solved.
Old 9/16/12, 01:46 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Len
This may or may not help but it's easy to do and worth a try. On my '08 I also had an MGW (I know it's not the same shifter as you have but it doesn't matter) that rattled. I couldn't figure it out and it was driving me crazy. Turned out to be the jam nut. Even though it was tight against the shift **** there was some resonance coming thru the threads. I used blue loctite and the problem was solved.
Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely look at that.

EDIT: It's worth mentioning that the rattle doesn't sound very muffled. So it would make sense that its somewhere in the upper assembly -- above all the dynamat and sound insulation. This jam nut idea sounds promising.

Last edited by Skandocious; 9/16/12 at 01:48 PM.
Old 9/16/12, 03:45 PM
Len
GT Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely look at that.

EDIT: It's worth mentioning that the rattle doesn't sound very muffled. So it would make sense that its somewhere in the upper assembly -- above all the dynamat and sound insulation. This jam nut idea sounds promising.
Do the threads on the ball also.
Old 9/18/12, 11:43 AM
MGW
Former Vendor

Hey all -- just finished installing an MGW shifter assembly and now I'm getting a small buzzing/rattling noise at around 3k RPMs when the car is in gear. Which gear doesn't seem to matter. It almost sounds like a loose washer rattling on a stud but I'm sure that I tightened everything down.

Has anyone else experienced this?

i am willing to bet its your ebrake button. when i installed my shifter on our new 2013 boss it had a weird buzzing that i thought was an issue with my shifter and it was my ebrake button. i had my dealer replace it as i could not get it quiet and all is good now.

george
Old 9/18/12, 12:48 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by MGW
i am willing to bet its your ebrake button. when i installed my shifter on our new 2013 boss it had a weird buzzing that i thought was an issue with my shifter and it was my ebrake button. i had my dealer replace it as i could not get it quiet and all is good now.

george
Interesting thought. I'll have a look at that -- thanks.
Old 9/24/12, 09:33 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by MGW

george
George you hit the nail on the head -- it's definitely the e-brake button. To be honest I'm surprised a replacement fixed yours because mine seems nice and tight aside from this buzzing noise.

Anyway, I'll tell the dealer and see what they say.
Old 5/22/16, 11:25 AM

Ever figure it out? i've got the rattle!
Old 5/22/16, 11:48 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Well, if you look one post above yours, I think you'll find your answer.
Old 5/22/16, 12:41 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

That was being very kind!
Old 5/24/16, 04:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
And don't forget 4 years ago...LOL
Old 5/24/16, 08:33 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
holy thread revival for a button buzz.
Old 5/27/16, 07:54 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
If you have a MGW that you just put on, you also have to remember that you are attaching the shifter to the engine and transmission and there is a higher chance for NVH to come into the cabin.