Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

the MT82 shifting issues continue at the track -VID-

Search this Thread

Old 7/6/12, 05:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the MT82 shifting issues continue at the track -VID-

feel like a noob at the track, ford needs to do something about this, its embarrassing

Old 7/7/12, 12:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man...that's exactly how my car feels. Except mine is third gear that constantly locks me out. It's too bad. Ford has had 2 years to fix this issue and they haven't done anything except blame drivers as the problem. My gut is that they have a crappy design they are stuck with and don't want to spend the R&D to fix the issue because number 1...it would prove there was a problem all along, and number 2, it would require expenses they obviously have no desire investing in.
Old 7/7/12, 09:48 AM
GT Member

Wow that sucks... Are you going to do the bracket and shifter upgrade anytime soon? Car looks great though!
Old 7/7/12, 07:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MikeD73USA
Wow that sucks... Are you going to do the bracket and shifter upgrade anytime soon? Car looks great though!
thank you, this was with upgraded mgw with bracket
Old 7/7/12, 07:32 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
What is it, the clutch pedal not returning?
Old 7/7/12, 08:13 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by BOSS302R

thank you, this was with upgraded mgw with bracket
Oh no... That is not good, was hoping this fix was all was needed.
Old 7/7/12, 09:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Horrry cow! Were you having the same problem before the shifter install?
Old 7/8/12, 11:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hey Boss302R...I finally made some discoveries with my own car at the track......granny shifting. Basically no powershifting or accelerating RPM's allowed while shifting. I found out that I have to completely 100% lift my foot off the clutch, which allows a bit of settling and then guide the shifter into my next gear like I'm the threading a gate the size of an electron. I found out by treating my transmission like I'm adding a card onto the top of a 20 story building made out of cards allowed me to shift this piece of garbage transmission/clutch plate/flywheel with fewer issues. It didn't 100% solve the issue, but it improved it by about 70%. Sometimes I had to put small pressure onto the next locked out gear, whistle a song or two while waiting for the clutch to settle, and then finally it slipped into gear.

Last edited by db2797; 7/8/12 at 11:46 AM.
Old 7/8/12, 12:34 PM
Cobra Member

That's slop!
Old 7/8/12, 02:06 PM
GT Member

That sucks!!! All this m-82 probs, makes me wonder if I should change the order to an auto.
Old 7/8/12, 02:38 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeD73USA
That sucks!!! All this m-82 probs, makes me wonder if I should change the order to an auto.
Nah. An auto mustang just ain't natural. It's possible that yours won't give you any problems. Remember you only hear about the ones that act up. All these problems people are having can be resolved but it will have to come out of your own pocket. That's the bad thing. MGW shifter is a must though.
Old 7/8/12, 02:45 PM
Bullitt Member

The MGW made things more crisp, and improved some shifting, but yet it can't solve all the big problems. After car cools down it shifts just fine under load. My guess is the brake fluid maybe started boiling after a couple runs or the pressure plate gets really weak after a couple runs and won allow a full disengagement ... i do not power shift i press the clutch to the floor and then shift, in the video you can actually see i attempted to shift into 2nd a couple times and it won't go and i had to put it into 3rd.

i ordered a braided clutch line and ill see what improvement that will give me. i might also wrap slave cylinder in some heat resistant stuff to keep it cooler ???
Old 7/8/12, 02:48 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Make sure you let us know how it works out either way. Pretty sure the MT82 is a stout trans just all the other stuff connected to it is substandard.
Old 7/11/12, 10:26 AM
GT Member

That definitely suck, no wonder why that evo blew by you like that. Is MT82 the only tranny made in china, or is the 6R80 Auto also made in china?
Old 7/17/12, 07:10 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by db2797
Hey Boss302R...I finally made some discoveries with my own car at the track......granny shifting. Basically no powershifting or accelerating RPM's allowed while shifting. I found out that I have to completely 100% lift my foot off the clutch, which allows a bit of settling and then guide the shifter into my next gear like I'm the threading a gate the size of an electron. I found out by treating my transmission like I'm adding a card onto the top of a 20 story building made out of cards allowed me to shift this piece of garbage transmission/clutch plate/flywheel with fewer issues. It didn't 100% solve the issue, but it improved it by about 70%. Sometimes I had to put small pressure onto the next locked out gear, whistle a song or two while waiting for the clutch to settle, and then finally it slipped into gear.
In what situation or setting would it be desirable to NOT lift up 100% on the clutch pedal?

I don't have experience with performance driving. But the times when I am lifting off the clutch slowly is from a dead stop when I want to smoothly accelerate or between shifts. This is for normal daily driving.

When I do find an open stretch of road when it's safe, i slam the clutch to floor, shift in to the next gear, then fully release clutch and apply gas at the same time quickly.

Again I don't have drag strip experience. I actually just started driving a manual this year. I have the 2012 GT 6MT.
Old 7/18/12, 04:45 PM
MGW
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by BOSS302R
The MGW made things more crisp, and improved some shifting, but yet it can't solve all the big problems. After car cools down it shifts just fine under load. My guess is the brake fluid maybe started boiling after a couple runs or the pressure plate gets really weak after a couple runs and won allow a full disengagement ... i do not power shift i press the clutch to the floor and then shift, in the video you can actually see i attempted to shift into 2nd a couple times and it won't go and i had to put it into 3rd.

i ordered a braided clutch line and ill see what improvement that will give me. i might also wrap slave cylinder in some heat resistant stuff to keep it cooler ???

i tracked my laguna seca this week and found out a little trick . not sure if it willhelp your situation but it sure helped my 2nd gear lockout.

if you push the boot donw below the gold piece to expose the reverse lockout pin you will find that it has an adjustment feature that only the MGW has. i actually found my 2013 boss was a little close to being too far to the left when hitting the reverse lockout plate and under normal driving was not an issue but when i REALLY pushed hard against it it would actually go past 2nd a bit and hit a wall.

to solve this i simply loosened the locknut on the passenger side with a 1/2 wrench and then used a small pin or drill bit or whatever you have to turn the pin with the little access hole we put in the pin so it protrudes out a little. i played with it until i got it just right then i locked down the hex nut.

works awesome now!!!

george

call me if this doesnt make sense. 706-829-3030 cell
Old 7/20/12, 08:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BOWTIE-X
That definitely suck, no wonder why that evo blew by you like that. Is MT82 the only tranny made in china, or is the 6R80 Auto also made in china?
6r80 is bulletproof and built in the USA. It was introduced on 08' on the Navigator and Expedition.
Old 7/20/12, 01:28 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang Mafia
6r80 is bulletproof and built in the USA. It was introduced on 08' on the Navigator and Expedition.
so you simply do not read the auto threads that talk about the issues with it.
Old 7/21/12, 02:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Mirad_GT12
In what situation or setting would it be desirable to NOT lift up 100% on the clutch pedal?

I don't have experience with performance driving. But the times when I am lifting off the clutch slowly is from a dead stop when I want to smoothly accelerate or between shifts. This is for normal daily driving.

When I do find an open stretch of road when it's safe, i slam the clutch to floor, shift in to the next gear, then fully release clutch and apply gas at the same time quickly.

Again I don't have drag strip experience. I actually just started driving a manual this year. I have the 2012 GT 6MT.
When powershifting, you don't want the RPM's to drop too far, so you keep some torque so when you shift into the next gear you have minimal time in between shifts. 10 years ago or more, manuals were much faster than automatics because you could control the torque much more smoothly. In new automatics with torque converters, they can equal manual transmissions, so now manuals have a disadvantage on the track or in performance driving, thus you want to do everything you can to shorten the amount of time you have shifting along with trying not to lose boost.

Now, with any clutch there's always "play" where the clutch engages. You actually don't need to be 100% pressed to the floor to have the clutch engage. But at high RPM's, a weak clutch like in these cars is not going to be able to support and stay engaged at high RPM's. It's ridiculous how weak these clutches are though. Although it may not entirely be the clutch. There's probably a few weak links in the chain that Ford did for whatever reason. Probably a combination of making the transmission "mushy" for everyday drivers and cutting down on cost at the same time. The problem though is they destroyed the performance aspect of the car by taking that direction. So while many of the everyday granny shifting drivers might not necessarily see those weak points, those who do performance driving will have these problems crippling the ability to drive the car at a high level. It really sucks.
Old 7/21/12, 02:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Oh also...I realized I miswrote earlier...I combined my thoughts into one point when it should have been 2 separate ones......I didn't mean lift the foot off the clutch 100%. I meant lift the foot off the gas 100% and push the clutch to the floor 100%.

Quick Reply: the MT82 shifting issues continue at the track -VID-