GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Cams + longtubes

Search this Thread

Old 3/7/11, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cams + longtubes

Just wondering in a ball park range how much hp will I get with a set of cams and long tube headers. Anybody with this combo please let me know and also will it sound sweet. Thanks
Old 3/7/11, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by dlimon
Just wondering in a ball park range how much hp will I get with a set of cams and long tube headers. Anybody with this combo please let me know and also will it sound sweet. Thanks
I don't mean to sound like a $$$hole but it sounds like the search function would be your best option right now. On a NA engine cams and LTs will likely net around 30-40 rwhp i would guess based off of what i've read. The sound will likely sound "sweet" regardless of what brand you choose but different packages will vary slightly in levels of "sweetness" depending on personal preferences. Some cams have more of a lopey idle than others if that's what you're really looking for. Youtube is also your friend is well. Anyways there is a lot of good information on this forum and many others that can be found pretty easily.
Old 3/7/11, 08:19 AM
Bullitt Member

I have pypes long tubes with catless x pipe. I put frpp hot rod cams in about a month ago sound awesome and has a definate hp increase.
Old 3/7/11, 12:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I did Comp Cams, longtubes and delete plates back in 2008. I netted 42 rwhp and like 11 lbs torque on Brenspeeds dyno. Both the before and after were on Brenspeeds dyno just at different days but similiar weather conditions.
Old 3/7/11, 11:40 PM
Bullitt Member

frpp hotrod cams, stainless works lt's+full exhaust (no cats). Can't say how much power I gained for just those two because I did multiple mods both times. I'd say 35-40rwhp is for sure reasonable for the two mods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rde63le2eA
Old 3/9/11, 12:23 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2kanchoo
frpp hotrod cams, stainless works lt's+full exhaust (no cats). Can't say how much power I gained for just those two because I did multiple mods both times. I'd say 35-40rwhp is for sure reasonable for the two mods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rde63le2eA
THAT sounds meaner'n hell, brother......I got about 2k for a budget right now, and cams had made the list, but I'm still kinda on the fence about headers or intake and TB......most of what I've read is that cams and headers are the combo, and she do sound like a dragster......
BTW, what gain are you supposed to get with the delete plates??
Old 3/9/11, 12:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Ghost
THAT sounds meaner'n hell, brother......I got about 2k for a budget right now, and cams had made the list, but I'm still kinda on the fence about headers or intake and TB......most of what I've read is that cams and headers are the combo, and she do sound like a dragster......
BTW, what gain are you supposed to get with the delete plates??

Deletes are good for 8-10 rwhp
Old 3/9/11, 06:30 PM

Well I changed my mind on the cams cause I don't know anyone who could install them just a shop which will probably cost a good chunk of cash. Cams aren't cheap either, might just go with the long tubes and delete plates, what do you guys think.
Old 3/9/11, 06:50 PM
Bullitt Member

You will still feel a difference with long tubes and delete plates. Not as much an cams but there is still a horsepower gain. Its going to be a good choice either way. It just depends on how much you are willing to spend.
Old 3/10/11, 04:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Gtpony325
You will still feel a difference with long tubes and delete plates. Not as much an cams but there is still a horsepower gain. Its going to be a good choice either way. It just depends on how much you are willing to spend.
I agree. The cams are the biggest gain between the choices. But the sound difference doing the longtubes is worth it!!!!
Old 3/10/11, 04:36 PM
Bullitt Member

I just pick my car up from the dyno long tube and cams added 29rwhp putting it at 337rwhp
Old 3/10/11, 09:07 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Gtpony325
I just pick my car up from the dyno long tube and cams added 29rwhp putting it at 337rwhp
What other mods? you might've listed but I don't see 'em.
Old 3/11/11, 08:26 AM
Bullitt Member

I have delete plates, cold air intake, under drive pulleys, bbk throttle body, cams, long tube headers, sct 93 octane tune, 3.73 gears thats it for performance mods
Old 3/11/11, 08:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Are the delete plates worth the money? Probably even more benefiical with a SC? It seems like Steeda really is the only brand out there?
Old 3/11/11, 09:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 5pointoh
Are the delete plates worth the money? Probably even more benefiical with a SC? It seems like Steeda really is the only brand out there?
You can find the old frpp plates for sale at some places like ebay. But Steeda apparently has a patent on the delete plates and manages to keep other competitors out of the market. You'll pick up around 10 hp on the upper ranges of your rpms with them. You'll have to decide what the value is.

Keep in mind you'll need a tune with them as well. If you buy them from the same place you got your cai+tuner from they'll usually give you a new tune for the plates for free.

Also keep in mind that the aftermarket intake manifolds delete the plates as well. If you have any intention of the frpp or cnl intakes, don't bother with delete plates.
Old 3/27/11, 07:04 AM
V6 Member

i have a 06 with steeda UDP, steeda CMCV delete plates, FRPP hot rod cams, air aid cold air intake, pypes LT headers, no cats, borla stingers, brenspeed tune, mine made 332 RWHP and 321 RWTQ.
Old 3/27/11, 09:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Almost the same setup as me and i made 337 rwhp
Old 6/27/16, 11:30 PM

Cams and long tubes.

I know this is a old thread but, I just bought a lot of mods for my 06. I just bought hot rod cams, bbk long tubes and made about 35+ more hp. 340 rwhp. My other mods are jlt cold air intake, bbk o/r x pipe, pypes cat back, and S.r. Underdeive pulleys. I plan on buying fr intake manifold and tb. But if I were you cams are expensive but if you can find the right guy to tune you right, they're worth it.
Old 6/28/16, 09:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Thuskey22
I know this is a old thread but, I just bought a lot of mods for my 06. I just bought hot rod cams, bbk long tubes and made about 35+ more hp. 340 rwhp. My other mods are jlt cold air intake, bbk o/r x pipe, pypes cat back, and S.r. Underdeive pulleys. I plan on buying fr intake manifold and tb. But if I were you cams are expensive but if you can find the right guy to tune you right, they're worth it.
Why?
Old 6/29/16, 04:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by 07 Boss
Why?
You can get a little more peak hp this way, but IMHO, if you're already at 340RWHP, I don't know if the extra 10-15 hp is going to be worth the $1200 to get there. I've got JBA long tubes, catted H-pipe, cams, the FRPP intake & TB, and a Granatelli CAI. I'm making 350HP @ the wheels. Granted, the cams are Comp Cams stage ii SPR, so they focus more on mid-range gains rather than peak @ high rpm. Even still, my shop pointed out that yes, the FRPP intake flows more air, but has the effect of shifting your power curve to higher rpms, at the expense of lower end power. Even with my SPR cams, I didn't gain any low end HP. I didn't lose any either over stock, but had no gains till 3500 RPM.

They even went so far as to tell me that I shouldn't get rid of my old stock intake manifold, so if I ever go with a centrifugal s/c I can still keep a decent torque curve at the low end.

I guess it depends what you want it for but I heard you already lose low end with the hot rod cams, I can only imagine it would get worse

Last edited by Cavero; 6/29/16 at 04:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Cams + longtubes