Limited Edition 50th

My Limited Edition body panels don't fit well.

Search this Thread

Old 12/24/14, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My Limited Edition body panels don't fit well.

I guess because it was at night and I was so thrilled to finally get my long awaited 2015, I did not think to take the time to really completely go over this car. The next day after going over the body I have found enough that makes me not even want this thing. The front of the hood has a space of less than 1/4 inch in the middle but increases to over 3/8 inch as it approaches the outsides. The panels that come together behind the rear wheels do not match up at all, worst of all there appears to be some kind of wrinkle in the one panel corner that looks like a paint run that was overlooked. There are many things that are indeed great about this car, I just would have thought that as a Limited Edition 2015 Mustang more care would have gone into the quality of the fit and finish of the body.
Old 12/24/14, 09:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems, but, with that said, we need photos, and include one of your dash plaque with your LE number.

The body panel fit and paint are outstanding on my EB. Much, much better then the 2011 GT/CS I previously had.
Old 12/25/14, 09:45 AM
Cobra Member

Old 12/25/14, 10:56 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stang1
The front of the hood has a space of less than 1/4 inch in the middle but increases to over 3/8 inch as it approaches the outsides. The panels that come together behind the rear wheels do not match up at all,
I just would have thought that as a Limited Edition 2015 Mustang more care would have gone into the quality of the fit and finish of the body.
Sounds like its true to form as to how the 65's were built.

Last edited by cdynaco; 12/25/14 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12/25/14, 11:06 AM

I am going to send some pixs
Attached Thumbnails My Limited Edition body panels don't fit well.-image.jpg  
Old 12/25/14, 11:11 AM

the number. 0589
Old 12/25/14, 11:14 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please don't take wrong, but, the Mustang-no matter which one, is, at the end of the day, a mass produced personal transportation device for the hoi-paloi. If you want a truly well made car, you would have to add a zero to the right end of the price tag ex:
$429,990.00 . That would get you a hand- built car with pretty good attention to detail. BTW, have you ever looked at say, a '69 GT500KR survivor? I'm old enough to remember "muscle cars" when they were new, and let me tell you- the quality on todays cars is AMAZING by comparison. Those old ones were truly piles of garbage. The only reason they are worth anything at all today is the 100 year old timex theory.
Old 12/25/14, 11:15 AM

left rear of car
Old 12/25/14, 11:18 AM

area where the paint looks like a sag is in it, left rear
Old 12/25/14, 11:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 2015's I seen at the dealership the other week weren't much better. Nothing lined up or fit properly
Old 12/25/14, 11:21 AM

larger overview of back corner
Old 12/25/14, 11:32 AM

the front hood line is really not right
Old 12/25/14, 11:35 AM

window sticker
Old 12/25/14, 11:39 AM

another view of hood, more overall
Old 12/25/14, 11:43 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow! That is bad. I cannot believe Ford QC approved that car for release. And, contrary to what another member posted, you DO expect this car to be perfect. After all there are only 1964 of them. They should have been QC'd by a special team and returned until everything was within specs.

However, these problems should be easily corrected by the dealer, without too much of a fuss. I would suggest you go directly to the body shop manager and discuss the problems with him and the tech who will work on it. Let the tech know you appreciate the time he will take to do the work. And, smile, don't *****, it's not their fault.

I would still send Deysha a PM and ask her to look at this thread. She needs to apprise Ford of this problem and escalate it. This is not good PR for a new model.

I went over my EB before I left the dealership; however I bought it from stock (the only one they had) and had time to look her over, top to bottom and take a test drive to ensure everything was up to snuff, before and after prep. I also waxed her the next day to really go over the paint. No problems with panel fit or paint.

Good luck and don't let it get you down. Look at the positive side, in the end when all is said and done, you have an LE!

Last edited by SD CALSPCL; 12/25/14 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12/25/14, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by elfiero
Please don't take wrong, but, the Mustang-no matter which one, is, at the end of the day, a mass produced personal transportation device for the hoi-paloi. If you want a truly well made car, you would have to add a zero to the right end of the price tag ex:
$429,990.00 . That would get you a hand- built car with pretty good attention to detail. BTW, have you ever looked at say, a '69 GT500KR survivor? I'm old enough to remember "muscle cars" when they were new, and let me tell you- the quality on todays cars is AMAZING by comparison. Those old ones were truly piles of garbage. The only reason they are worth anything at all today is the 100 year old timex theory.
I go back to the 60s, had a 65 fastback and a 70 Boss 302 so I completely get what you are saying. I guess that in my mind, Ford had set the bar higher in regards to quality, in the end they are just assembly line cars being cranked out by the minute. I just need to let it go.
Old 12/25/14, 11:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
That is disappointing. For sure take it to the dealer and get Deysha involved. Try to keep your emotions out of it though, you'll get farther with honey...you know the saying
Old 12/25/14, 12:01 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stang1
area where the paint looks like a sag is in it, left rear
Other than the paint area - which is probably clear coat not paint 'sag' - its not different than the S197's - incl upcharge SE's. They are just body panel tweaks that can be done. There are threads in the S197 section about minor fitment issues out of the factory that guys fixed.

Because this:

Originally Posted by elfiero
Please don't take wrong, but, the Mustang-no matter which one, is, at the end of the day, a mass produced personal transportation device for the hoi-paloi. If you want a truly well made car, you would have to add a zero to the right end of the price tag

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...9/#post5915099

Last edited by cdynaco; 12/25/14 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12/25/14, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
Wow! That is bad. I cannot believe Ford QC approved that car for release. And, contrary to what another member posted, you DO expect this car to be perfect. After all there are only 1964 of them. They should have been QC'd by a special team and returned until everything was within specs.

However, these problems should be easily corrected by the dealer, without too much of a fuss. I would suggest you go directly to the body shop manager and discuss the problems with him and the tech who will work on it. Let the tech know you appreciate the time he will take to do the work. And, smile, don't *****, it's not their fault.

I would still send Deysha a PM and ask her to look at this thread. She needs to apprise Ford of this problem and escalate it. This is not good PR for a new model.

I went over my EB before I left the dealership; however I bought it from stock (the only one they had) and had time to look her over, top to bottom and take a test drive to ensure everything was up to snuff, before and after prep. I also waxed her the next day to really go over the paint. No problems with panel fit or paint.

Good luck and don't let it get you down. Look at the positive side, in the end when all is said and done, you have an LE!
I appreciate the feed back! I am just too scared to let the dealer try to fix this because my experience tells me that you can always tell after a touch up. I just don't want a dealer to handle this. It appears that the hood is not the problem, the front body panel itself looks like it needs to rise up to meet the hood line but i can find no adjustments that will accomplish that.
Old 12/25/14, 12:02 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Alan ! definitely get Deysha involved, as she will get everything straighten out for you.. As Ford should at the very least, do an exchange for you..

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 12/25/14 at 12:04 PM.

Quick Reply: My Limited Edition body panels don't fit well.