GT

Options for an Upgraded Touch Screen Radio With APPLE CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 5/23/16, 12:35 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Options for an Upgraded Touch Screen Radio With APPLE CarPlay

Hello everyone,
I love my 2015 Mustang and all that came with it. However, I do wish that my car came with the new sync with Apple Car Play. I love the touch screen and how everything in the car can be controled with it. My question is.. Can we upgrade the unit to a better one that uses CarPlay, and still works with sync and all the car controls? I have seen a few differnt ones out there, but have not seen a detailed explaination. Will all my USB and line in ports also work with a aftermarket unit too? Thanks everyone.
Old 5/24/16, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check out www.mustang6g.com, there is a member on there that sells conversions, his screen name is OEMRadio
Old 6/4/16, 07:12 PM

I have a 2016 GT Premium with Synch 3. I called up Ford two days ago and asked them if they were ever going to upgrade the current Synch 3 so that it would support Apple Car Play. They said an upgrade would be coming out LATER this year and that it would be a dealer installed option. No word on how much they will soak you for it. But it does sound like this is now in the works.
Old 6/6/16, 05:23 AM
GT Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ibramson
I have a 2016 GT Premium with Synch 3. I called up Ford two days ago and asked them if they were ever going to upgrade the current Synch 3 so that it would support Apple Car Play. They said an upgrade would be coming out LATER this year and that it would be a dealer installed option. No word on how much they will soak you for it. But it does sound like this is now in the works.
This is the first I've heard it would be a dealer option. It better be a free download or I'm going to be pissed!
Old 6/6/16, 10:31 AM

It may cost

Originally Posted by CoyotePremium13
This is the first I've heard it would be a dealer option. It better be a free download or I'm going to be pissed!
I got the impression that it would cost us. If do, both you and I will be pissed. It should have been there already. Other manufacturers hsve been advertising this for a while now.
Old 6/6/16, 05:14 PM
GT Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I got the impression that it would cost us. If do, both you and I will be pissed. It should have been there already. Other manufacturers hsve been advertising this for a while now.
Ya I have the feeling we won't get the download until closer to the end of the summer. The 2017's will have it preloaded from what I understand. I'm anxiously waiting for Android Auto.
Old 6/7/16, 01:21 PM
GT Member

So if you have a 2015, there is no upgrade from Ford. It pisses me off, because the technology was probably already out in 2015 and they probably just waited to 2016 so they could sell more cars.
Old 6/10/16, 09:59 AM

the 2016 models will get the update for Apple Car Play and Android Auto, Car Play will need a dealer installed usb port from what Im reading, not sure on cost, if any. Android Auto will need nothing more than the update and compatible phone with Android Auto installed
Old 6/10/16, 04:53 PM

USBPorts???

Originally Posted by scott_0
the 2016 models will get the update for Apple Car Play and Android Auto, Car Play will need a dealer installed usb port from what Im reading, not sure on cost, if any. Android Auto will need nothing more than the update and compatible phone with Android Auto installed
My car came with 2 usb ports. So I would not need the dealer to install one, unless there is something I am not aware of ( which often is the case).
Old 6/10/16, 08:51 PM

My car came with 2 usb ports. So I would not need the dealer to install one, unless there is something I am not aware of ( which often is the case).
there are no specifics, but its been said Car Play to work, a usb port change performed by the dealership is needed.........
Old 6/11/16, 12:15 PM

Not Surprised

Originally Posted by scott_0
there are no specifics, but its been said Car Play to work, a usb port change performed by the dealership is needed.........
OK

It only remains to wait and see when the upgrade is available and how much we get soaked for it.

Apple car play has been around for a while now. I think they should have had it in these cars already. But at least they will offer it.

Last edited by ibramson; 6/11/16 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 2/5/17, 11:05 AM

Sup ya'll I have the 2016 Mustang V6 for about two months now. Although it came with leather seats it did not however come with the touchscreen radio which is a bummer. I was wondering if you guys would know of any upgrade options which included AppleCarplay. Why V6 some of you may ask? Well i'm only 23 and in Canada so it was what I could afford right now.
Old 2/5/17, 11:50 AM

Several weeks ago I went to the Ford Owners site and was able to engage someone at Ford in a chat. They said that the upgrade would be both a Synch 3 update AND a new USB hub that would have to be installed at a dealership. It was also said that that the USB hub part had NOT been released yet. So I asked when that might happen and was told to periodically check back at the Ford Owner web site for more info. I was also told that if I had used a Synch 3 upgrade that was not made especially for my Mustang (like some other people have already done) it could void my warranty.

For something that already comes with the 2017 S550, it seems like a long wait for something which theoretically should already exist.
Feel free to shoot the messenger.
Old 2/5/17, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by rhazis
Sup ya'll I have the 2016 Mustang V6 for about two months now. Although it came with leather seats it did not however come with the touchscreen radio which is a bummer. I was wondering if you guys would know of any upgrade options which included AppleCarplay. Why V6 some of you may ask? Well i'm only 23 and in Canada so it was what I could afford right now.
contact Jesse at oem radio solutions, he'll set you up, however it wont be cheap, but it will 100% Factory Ford parts. his email is www.oemradiosolutions@gmail.com