GT

Oil Change Help Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 8/8/15, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Oil Change Help Needed!

Hey guys, 2015 Mustang GT w/Performance Package here.

This is a bit embarrassing being I'm a car guy, but I haven't done an oil change myself in a few years due to life circumstances (death, family sickness), and I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to provide what size tools I will need to complete the oil change? (socket wrench size for the drain plug, etc)

I haven't been underneath my Stang yet (under 1500 miles) so I'm not sure if there's a plastic plece covering the oil pan that also needs to be removed. If so, what are the sizes of the screws?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Charlie
Old 8/8/15, 04:49 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Drain plug should be 15mm, and there are 3 smaller bolts (8mm I think, maybe 9mm) for the shield under there.
Old 10/6/15, 08:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EaterofWorlds
Hey guys, 2015 Mustang GT w/Performance Package here.

This is a bit embarrassing being I'm a car guy, but I haven't done an oil change myself in a few years due to life circumstances (death, family sickness), and I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to provide what size tools I will need to complete the oil change? (socket wrench size for the drain plug, etc)

I haven't been underneath my Stang yet (under 1500 miles) so I'm not sure if there's a plastic plece covering the oil pan that also needs to be removed. If so, what are the sizes of the screws?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Charlie

Posting this from another forum I commented on.

All the work will be done underneath vehicle so get comfy On the Performance Pack models, the oil filter will be located on the left hand side (as if you were sitting in the drive seat) above a little flap near the driver side tire, only thing holding the flap up is a 7mm bolt you need to remove, the flap will hang down. The oil filter is directly above it on an angle. On Non-performance pack mustangs you will need to remove the middle shield which is held in by two 10mm screws at the back part and four 7mm screws all around. From there it is directly above (more on the left side; again as if your sitting in the driver seat) Cant miss it! For the first oil change it will be an almost completely white oil filter with black FOMOCO on it. These can sometimes be a pain to remove (by hand) due to the fact that it is put on a dry surface with no oil at the plant; so the filter likes to stick a little. Get some cheap oil filter pliers from AutoZone or wherever. Remove the filter and replace with a Motorcraft fl500s filter or whatever applicable. Be sure to rub some new oil on the O-ring so the next time you go to take it off it isn't a big pain in the ***. From there the 5.0 take 8 qts of 5w-20. USE SYNTHETIC keep it protected!!! . 2.3 Ecoboost takes a fl910s filter and 5.7 quarts of 5w-30 and the 3.7 takes a fl500s filter as well and 6 quarts of 5w-20. Now go get the oil change done!! You can get the Motorcraft filters at most any parts store. AutoZone for sure carries them. btw you will need a 15 mm socket for the drain plug

Took me a little to write that the first time haha Have fun! Am a Ford tech as well so feel free to ask questions. Try my best to help out
Old 10/7/15, 06:12 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by FivePointSlow

All the work will be done underneath vehicle so get comfy On the Performance Pack models, the oil filter will be located on the left hand side (as if you were sitting in the drive seat) above a little flap near the driver side tire, only thing holding the flap up is a 7mm bolt you need to remove, the flap will hang down. The oil filter is directly above it on an angle. On Non-performance pack mustangs you will need to remove the middle shield which is held in by two 10mm screws at the back part and four 7mm screws all around. From there it is directly above (more on the left side; again as if your sitting in the driver seat) Cant miss it! For the first oil change it will be an almost completely white oil filter with black FOMOCO on it. These can sometimes be a pain to remove (by hand) due to the fact that it is put on a dry surface with no oil at the plant; so the filter likes to stick a little. Get some cheap oil filter pliers from AutoZone or wherever. Remove the filter and replace with a Motorcraft fl500s filter or whatever applicable. Be sure to rub some new oil on the O-ring so the next time you go to take it off it isn't a big pain in the ***. From there the 5.0 take 8 qts of 5w-20. USE SYNTHETIC keep it protected!!! . 2.3 Ecoboost takes a fl910s filter and 5.7 quarts of 5w-30 and the 3.7 takes a fl500s filter as well and 6 quarts of 5w-20. Now go get the oil change done!! You can get the Motorcraft filters at most any parts store. AutoZone for sure carries them. btw you will need a 15 mm socket for the drain plug

Took me a little to write that the first time haha Have fun! Am a Ford tech as well so feel free to ask questions. Try my best to help out
THANK YOU very much for posting this up!! I have a GT with PP on order and have read nothing but conflicting info as to where the oil filter is located. Now I can see why, most guys aren't aware of the various oil filter locations based on what model they are dealing with.
You da man!!
Old 11/9/15, 08:43 PM

I have a non PP 2015,GT, and there was just a little flap to get to the filter.
Old 11/10/15, 04:42 PM
V6 Member

Hey FivePointSlow, I've been looking at Royal Purple filters and oil for a main stay on my oil changes. I really just got my GT with the pp but I'm wondering if there is anything to keeping only motor craft filters and oil or switching to royal purple? I've heard good things about them and was curious if you had any opinion you would like to pass along.
Old 11/14/15, 05:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by earl610
I have a non PP 2015,GT, and there was just a little flap to get to the filter.
That's exactly right.
Old 11/22/15, 07:04 PM

Thumbs up The Infamous Question

Originally Posted by Remenant
Hey FivePointSlow, I've been looking at Royal Purple filters and oil for a main stay on my oil changes. I really just got my GT with the pp but I'm wondering if there is anything to keeping only motor craft filters and oil or switching to royal purple? I've heard good things about them and was curious if you had any opinion you would like to pass along.
Royal Purple is a very good oil as well as a filter. You wont get a definitive answer from me (or anybody for that matter) as everybody has their own opinion and what works best for them. I was at first going to only use Amsoil with my 5.0 but after looking at oil prices (even my employee discount at Ford) it gets a little expensive... I'm going to change my oil at 4000-5000 anyway and use some sort of full synthetic oil so i don't really see the need to buy really expensive oil that would last 10000 mi on a traditional vehicle when i'm changing it 4000 for my own comfort. Waste of money in my opinion tbh. I plan on running the Motorcraft Full Synthetic with the normal Motorcraft filter. Motorcraft oil is a very good known oil and has showed its excellent anti-wear characteristics. Now if you plan on taking your mustang to the track often or plan to be in the higher rpm's more consistently then yes i would probably go for a higher end oil and filter like Royal Purple or Amsoil. My last vehicle was a 2009 4 banger Tacoma where the oil changes were maybe at most $40... Now with the 5.0 your looking at like high $60's low $80's... Regularly change your oil and every now and again send a sample of your oil to get tested at BlackStone labs... its like $25 or so and it will tell you how your engine is wearing (or not) and what is actually going on inside your engine. They will also let you know if the oil still contains additives which would allow you to run your oil for a longer period between each oil change.
Hope that helps buddy, sorry for the delayed response
Old 11/22/15, 07:24 PM
V6 Member

Not a problem on the delay man. Life happens and no one can be expected to always respond right away lol. Yeah that answers a lot of my questions. I do plan on track when spring and summer time around again. This is my first mustang and first real performance vehicle so I'm kind of a noob with the higher end stuff. Thanks for all the info.
Old 11/22/15, 09:24 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Royal Purple is a very good oil as well as a filter. You wont get a definitive answer from me (or anybody for that matter) as everybody has their own opinion and what works best for them. I was at first going to only use Amsoil with my 5.0 but after looking at oil prices (even my employee discount at Ford) it gets a little expensive... I'm going to change my oil at 4000-5000 anyway and use some sort of full synthetic oil so i don't really see the need to buy really expensive oil that would last 10000 mi on a traditional vehicle when i'm changing it 4000 for my own comfort. Waste of money in my opinion tbh. I plan on running the Motorcraft Full Synthetic with the normal Motorcraft filter. Motorcraft oil is a very good known oil and has showed its excellent anti-wear characteristics. Now if you plan on taking your mustang to the track often or plan to be in the higher rpm's more consistently then yes i would probably go for a higher end oil and filter like Royal Purple or Amsoil. My last vehicle was a 2009 4 banger Tacoma where the oil changes were maybe at most $40... Now with the 5.0 your looking at like high $60's low $80's... Regularly change your oil and every now and again send a sample of your oil to get tested at BlackStone labs... its like $25 or so and it will tell you how your engine is wearing (or not) and what is actually going on inside your engine. They will also let you know if the oil still contains additives which would allow you to run your oil for a longer period between each oil change.
Hope that helps buddy, sorry for the delayed response
Are you regularly track racing or auto X racing your 5.0?
Old 11/23/15, 08:51 PM

Smile Too New

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Are you regularly track racing or auto X racing your 5.0?
Unfortunately not as of yet. Only got 940 mi on her. Bringing it in at the end of the week to my work and changing the oil. Once I get a couple thousand on her and get comfortable I do plan on bringing down to Bithlo Speed world and doing a couple passes to set a baseline for myself and then will go ahead and start buying some parts. First things first for me is the Corsa Extreme CatBack Exhaust. From there I will start beefing up the rear end to get rid of the wheel hop and then a CAI and a tune.