GT

2017 or 2018 Stang - Decisions, Decisions

Search this Thread

Old 1/18/17, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 or 2018 Stang - Decisions, Decisions

After seeing all the information rolling out about the 2018 Ford Mustang GT's - I think I am going to put off my purchase of a 2017 until latter in the year.
I was not a fan when I first saw the video. I thought the sharp angles looked like some other import I can't recall at this time. But the one thing I thought about the 2015-2017 models is that some of the design elements did not make sense.The hood reminds me of a 90's Ford Mustang - always thought it was out of place even when looking at it from inside. The front fascia looked odd like the fog lights and turn signals were an after thought for the Ford design team. The shapes did not make sense there. I like everything else under the sheet metal, including the digital dash. I am hard core retro guy, but at some time you have to look to the future. Not sure about the 10-speed auto come to think about it. Would have to drive one to completely sell me on giving up my 6-speed manual. on the 2018 Ford Mustang I really think Ford got it right, just takes time to have people get use to it. I love the new hood !!! Hate the rear spoiler !! But heck I would never order my Stang with one - the rear on this car does not need anything extra - Its just right !

So should I wait for the 2018 or get a 2017 at a discounted price when the 2018's are out?

Either way I think I am going with Lighting Blue color.
Attached Thumbnails 2017 or 2018 Stang - Decisions, Decisions-17_frd_mst_200040.jpg   2017 or 2018 Stang - Decisions, Decisions-18mst_gallery_07_1250.jpg  
Old 1/18/17, 06:12 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
The hardware improvements for the 2018 are worth the wait.

Even if Ford kept the same old Coyote in the 2018 update and just did the Mag-Ride and Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires that alone would be worth it.

From personal experience I can tell you the Mag-Ride alone is a must have option. My GT350 is unflappable and it soaks up bumps like nobody's business.

I've ran the car at VIR and Dominion Raceway and both times my instructors were impressed.

VIR has FIA rumble strips in place in addition to regular curbing and you can run over them with no problem at all from low to high speed. I ran the Full Course at VIR entirely in 4th gear one lap so your talking double to triple digit speeds and the GT350 just soaked it all right up.

Combine that with the engine upgrades that have been revealed and are in the works and you have a situation similar to what occurred with the 05-10 cars and the 11-14 cars.

The 15-17 cars are great but the 18 plus cars seem more like a 3/4 GT350 rather than a 15-17 car that has been refined a little bit.

--->edit<---
That said if say you plan to extensively modify your new car the 17 at a discounted price wouldn't be a bad option at all. The Mag-Ride suspension is highly integrated and the computer that controls it doesn't seem that adaptable (although there is a company that has an aftermarket solution but it is something like 1300.00 for the controller) in stock form so any upgrades that change the spring and sway bar characteristics of the car may interfere with the operation of the Mag-Ride and bone the handling.

Last edited by bob; 1/18/17 at 06:17 PM.
Old 1/19/17, 02:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
My '17 is lightning blue, and people are always saying what a great color it is. Only downside is keeping it clean up here in snow country. If you stay in Florida that shouldn't be an issue for you.