GT

2015 Mustang GT engine info.

Old 12/30/14, 03:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 Mustang GT engine info.

Is the 2015 GT engine fully forged, crank, rods and pistons?
Old 12/30/14, 04:39 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,583 Posts
IIRC, the answer is yes !
Old 12/31/14, 12:20 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by t-fatty
Is the 2015 GT engine fully forged, crank, rods and pistons?
Pistons, no. Everything is accurate.
Old 12/31/14, 12:22 AM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Coyote 5.0 motor has forged crank and rods, since its introduction in 2011. For 2015 they tweaked it more, but I'm pretty sure the pistons are not forged.
Old 12/31/14, 11:24 AM

Well that doesn't make much sense, so why even bother having forged rods, crank but not the pistons ?

But then again, when it comes to the bean counters.. That really doesn't surprise me in the least bit
Old 12/31/14, 01:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Well that doesn't make much sense, so why even bother having forged rods, crank but not the pistons ?

But then again, when it comes to the bean counters.. That really doesn't surprise me in the least bit
My thoughts exactly, why not do the pistons as well. So if you supercharge one this will be the failing point.

That and I want the PP with an automatic, maybe for 2016?
Old 12/31/14, 01:01 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Indeed. The only engine I know of with forged pistons (as well as crank and manley H-beams) is the Ford Racing Aluminator. Which is why I want one

Edit: Though I really don't think you need to worry about pistons failing with forced induction till you're pushing 700HP or so. There are plenty of people on this forum running SC Coyotes. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can chime in.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 12/31/14 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12/31/14, 01:47 PM
V6 Member

I've owned many racing engines both with and without forged pistons. You really don't want forged pistons in a DD, as they really rattle when you start them up(cold). Besides, modern hyper-eutectic cast style pistons are about 90% as strong as forged without the bad habits. As someone else posted, about the only time you need them anymore, is with forced induction or 100+ nitrous shot. They just are not user-friendly on the street for grocery getting, etc. I know some of you guys are weekend warrior-types and think all mustangs are race cars just waiting for a chance to shine, but truth be told, my wife's new GT will most likely never exceed about 4000 rpm, unless I'm washing it, or changing oil. That is the fate of 90%+ of all mustangs purchased today. Sorry.
Old 12/31/14, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by t-fatty
My thoughts exactly, why not do the pistons as well. So if you supercharge one this will be the failing point.

That and I want the PP with an automatic, maybe for 2016?
Exactly right ! As the pistons are just as important and just as critical..
Old 12/31/14, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Indeed. The only engine I know of with forged pistons (as well as crank and manley H-beams) is the Ford Racing Aluminator. Which is why I want one

Edit: Though I really don't think you need to worry about pistons failing with forced induction till you're pushing 700HP or so. There are plenty of people on this forum running SC Coyotes. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can chime in.
IIRC, Doesn't the 12-13 Boss 302 include forged pistons
Old 12/31/14, 02:13 PM
Banned

IIRC, Doesn't the 12-13 Boss 302 include forged pistons
Yes! You're right. the Road Runner engines did in fact have forged aluminum pistons. Thanks for the correction
Old 12/31/14, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by elfiero
I've owned many racing engines both with and without forged pistons. You really don't want forged pistons in a DD, as they really rattle when you start them up(cold). Besides, modern hyper-eutectic cast style pistons are about 90% as strong as forged without the bad habits. As someone else posted, about the only time you need them anymore, is with forced induction or 100+ nitrous shot. They just are not user-friendly on the street for grocery getting, etc. I know some of you guys are weekend warrior-types and think all mustangs are race cars just waiting for a chance to shine, but truth be told, my wife's new GT will most likely never exceed about 4000 rpm, unless I'm washing it, or changing oil. That is the fate of 90%+ of all mustangs purchased today. Sorry.
Okay, I understand your point, but what I don't quite understand is what's the purpose behind Ford upgrading just the crank and rods but not the pistons themselves

Seems to me that not upgrading the pistons is kind of defeating the purpose isn't it ?

Just as mentioned in your post, the only time you really need forged pistons anymore is with either forced induction or nitrous, however not everyone that upgrades to forced induction use their cars as just weekend warriors at the track.. They also use them for their DD's as well..
Old 12/31/14, 02:20 PM

Yes! You're right. the Road Runner engines did in fact have forged aluminum pistons. Thanks for the correction
Thanks for confirming ! As I wasn't really 100% sure
Old 12/31/14, 05:30 PM
V6 Member

Okay, I understand your point, but what I don't quite understand is what's the purpose behind Ford upgrading just the crank and rods but not the pistons themselves

Seems to me that not upgrading the pistons is kind of defeating the purpose isn't it ?

Just as mentioned in your post, the only time you really need forged pistons anymore is with either forced induction or nitrous, however not everyone that upgrades to forced induction use their cars as just weekend warriors at the track.. They also use them for their DD's as well..
I understand what you're saying about forced induction on your DD, but that sure ain't a cheap way to increase HP. Back to why ford increased the quality of the rotating mass of the engine: perhaps they saw a possible flaw in the cheaper castings? Remember: these parts aren't true forgings, but(as I understand it), they are forged powdered metal. This is some good stuff(same as used by GM in the LSx series), however not on par with true forged steel crank and rods. They couldn't afford to put the real deal in a mass-produced, 40k car. Twenty years ago I was buying REAL forged rods from Germany for my ASA v6 race car. back then, the rods were $1500.00 EACH. I'm pretty sure they haven't gotten any cheaper.
Old 12/31/14, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by elfiero
I understand what you're saying about forced induction on your DD, but that sure ain't a cheap way to increase HP. Back to why ford increased the quality of the rotating mass of the engine: perhaps they saw a possible flaw in the cheaper castings? Remember: these parts aren't true forgings, but(as I understand it), they are forged powdered metal. This is some good stuff(same as used by GM in the LSx series), however not on par with true forged steel crank and rods. They couldn't afford to put the real deal in a mass-produced, 40k car. Twenty years ago I was buying REAL forged rods from Germany for my ASA v6 race car. back then, the rods were $1500.00 EACH. I'm pretty sure they haven't gotten any cheaper.
Your absolutely right ! As forced induction isn't cheap.. However I was lucky as my 2006 GT was already installed with FI by the original owner before I purchased it..

I also did not realize about the castings not being true forgings as I assumed they were.. So I thank you for bringing this to my attention as I also didn't know the parts are made from forged powdered metal..

On the other hand though, I'm not quite able to fully understand the difference between forged powdered metal over regular cast aluminum, so perhaps you can bring me up to speed there as well..

Although it would really be great if Ford were somehow able to come out with true forged internals ? It's just as you posted, it's just not going to happen in a mass produced $ 40k car
Old 12/31/14, 11:55 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sinter forging is an interesting read.

Wonder how much abuse it takes to break them as compared to:

Attached Thumbnails 2015 Mustang GT engine info.-forged-internals.jpg  
Old 1/1/15, 01:51 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I wouldn't want to own a car that I didn't go over 4k rpm's.

I routinely do 6500 in my GT with a warm engine of course.
Old 1/1/15, 01:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I wouldn't want to own a car that I didn't go over 4k rpm's.

I routinely do 6500 in my GT with a warm engine of course.
Ditto. No carbon buildup in my engine
Old 1/2/15, 12:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ditto. No carbon buildup in my engine
Its um... better for... um.. the environment to keep the engine breathing well... right? haha 7500! Whoo!
Old 1/28/15, 05:32 AM
V6 Member

You guys all make a good point about keep the cobwebs out of an engine, but try and explain that to a woman. Seriously though, the reason you don't need forged pistons for naturally aspirated engines(even at moderately high RPMs) is because the weak spot on pistons is the area around and below the piston pin. They will go up and down like crazy- even when using cheap Chinese sand cast pistons. the problems occur when you increase cylinder pressures artificially- the cast skirt cannot take the abuse and collapses. The only time you need forged pistons in a normally aspirated engine, is when you have an extreme "under square" engine, as this will create an abnormally high side load on the piston skirt. Before you ask: an "under square" engine is where the stroke is longer than the bore is wide. These are normally used as heavy hauler- truck engines(low RPMs) and "over square" engines are normally used for road racer-type cars(think:6500-8000 RPMs). MOST production street car engines fall real close to square- the bore and stroke are almost dead equal.

Last edited by elfiero; 1/28/15 at 10:55 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 Mustang GT engine info.