Ecoboost

Why EcoBoost Mustangs are Important to Ford

Search this Thread

Old 6/30/15, 06:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

People of all ages love the Ford Mustang, especially the new one. However, "millennial" buyers make up 35 percent of Ford's customer base for the legendary model.

Read the rest on the TheMustangSource.com homepage. >>
Old 6/30/15, 08:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Ecoboost Mustangs aren't important to Ford. The Ecoboost idea itself is.

The turning away from the gas thirsty V6s and V8s of the entire car market is something, IMO, of a movement away from gasoline engines in total. It has to be done.

Ecoboost is important to Mustang's survival, and Ford's as an extension. Without it, does it have a good market elsewhere? I think not. And neither, apparently, does Ford.

But mark my words. This is a first step(tm). The next is to hybrids, if not all the way to fully electric drivetrains. And NOT just for Mustangs, but for all cars and trucks beyond the big rigs and such. And even perhaps them as well one day.

I actually envision a turbine/electric car being the future, myself, akin to a Diesel Electric Locomotive in train terms.

We shall, of course, see.
Old 7/1/15, 06:05 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex

The turning away from the gas thirsty V6s and V8s of the entire car market is something, IMO, of a movement away from gasoline engines in total. It has to be done.
I'm looking towards the time when we have an AWD, all-electric solar powered Mustang that self-drives, self-parks, and every function is voice activated. Due to safety concerns, no convertibles will ever be offered, and a manual transmission will only be available to look at in a museum.

When that day comes and if I'm not already dead yet, please kill me.

Last edited by TripleBlack14; 7/1/15 at 06:06 AM.
Old 7/1/15, 09:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I traded in my 2010 GT for a Ecoboost and do not regret it. I love the balance between power and MPG. It is a very sporty commuter car.
Old 7/1/15, 10:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You know what would save tons of money is gas? Sychronized traffic lights. I hit small city on the way to and from work and I swear, I miss most of the lights every single day. Think of how many thousands of cars have to stop and start at those lights every day and it is mind boggling.
Old 7/1/15, 10:49 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Originally Posted by Automatic 5.0
You know what would save tons of money is gas? Sychronized traffic lights. I hit small city on the way to and from work and I swear, I miss most of the lights every single day. Think of how many thousands of cars have to stop and start at those lights every day and it is mind boggling.

Amen to that. I've messed with the on board MPG monitor and a trip to work where I make it past the traffic lights I can get 20 MPG. When most of them catch me, it's around 15-16 MPG. That is a significant difference.
Old 7/1/15, 12:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You know it!!! I don't know how these people are still employed. Have you ever sat at a light for 5 minutes with no one else at the intersection but you!!!!
Old 7/1/15, 12:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Word!
Old 7/1/15, 12:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The day the Mustang is no longer available with a V8, is the day I stop buying Mustangs. It's a toy vehicle for me, so I don't care about saving gas.

My DD is a 2015 F150 Lariat. Also with a 5.0

Last edited by R3troGT; 7/1/15 at 12:42 PM.
Old 7/1/15, 11:44 PM
V6 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Part of it was the fuel economy. But in fact for a daily driver I do not NEED the power of the 8. I'm sure it's awesome to drive, but when am I going to use those horses driving around town and on weekend road trips? I don't mod and I don't go to the track. For the same price as a base GT I got an Ecoboost PP Convertible. I love to drive it, and she is a pretty thing. Some people have to have a GT. Some will be satisfied with nothing less than a Shelby or a SuperSnake. There is something out there for everybody which is why the Mustang is the highest selling pony car this year. BTW Camaro is coming out with a turbo 4 next year.

Last edited by jonser; 7/1/15 at 11:46 PM.
Old 7/2/15, 02:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jonser
BTW Camaro is coming out with a turbo 4 next year.
The turbo Camaro will be the base car and a potent V6 will be the upgrade. From GM's point of view, it's a genius plan. If somebody wants the turbo 4, they can save money by getting it in the base Camaro rather than paying extra for the "upgraded" Ecoboost. The cachet of the ecoboost as a premium powerplant will be lost when it's the standard format in Mustang's closest counterpart. For those who want the V6, they will get a much more powerful V6 than is available in the Mustang and they will be able to get the V6 Camaro with a premium interior.
Old 7/2/15, 03:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
People of all ages love the Ford Mustang, especially the new one, according to Green Car Reports. In the first five months of this year, the Blue Oval sold 56,571 S550s, besting the second-place Chevrolet Camaro (33,982 sold) by more than 20,000 units and the third-place Dodge Challenger (30,166 sold) by more than 26,000 cars.

However, “millennial” buyers – customers through their early 30s – make up 35 percent of Ford’s customer base for the Mustang. They seem to prefer ‘Stangs of the EcoBoost-ed variety for their fuel economy, which can go as high as 32 mpg on the highway. It helps that the Mustang was completely redesigned for the 2015 model year and that the older Chevy and Dodge models don’t offer a four-cylinder option under their hoods.

Starting with the 2016 model year, Chevrolet will, though. The 2.0-liter turbo four will be standard in that vehicle, whereas the 2.3-liter EcoBoost I4 is the mid-range offering in the Mustang.

To all of our forum members – millennial or otherwise – that own an EcoBoost Mustang: Was its fuel economy what drew you to it or did something else? A good deal on it, perhaps?
Old 7/2/15, 06:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm 37 which means I do not fall under the, "millennial" category but it was the fuel economy and performance.
Old 7/3/15, 01:15 AM
V6 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedCostsMoney
I'm 37 which means I do not fall under the, "millennial" category but it was the fuel economy and performance.
I'm 50. I waited years for the 2015 because The Mustang and I both turned 50 this year. I took it as a sign.
Like you I bought the EcoBoost because it fit my needs best. It is not a toy for me (although driving with the top down is always fun). It is my daily driver. I love it!!!
Old 7/3/15, 03:56 PM

For me, it's the best of both worlds: V8 power with 4 cylinder fuel economy. May not have the V8 sound, but who cares? It's got the speed to back it's looks. It speaks softly and carries a big stick. And I don't regret my purchase one bit.
Old 7/4/15, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Frankenstang
For me, it's the best of both worlds: V8 power with 4 cylinder fuel economy. May not have the V8 sound, but who cares? It's got the speed to back it's looks. It speaks softly and carries a big stick. And I don't regret my purchase one bit.
I agree 100% I love my ecoboost it is my first brand new car I'm 18 years old it was very affordable for me as far as payments. It's got the power I need for in town and with just the few minor mods I have on it. It will put most stock v8s to shame
Old 7/5/15, 10:05 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its all about CAFE ratings to. By using the 4banger it helps offset the v8's after ford pulled the v8 in the expedition this year that leaves only the f150 and mustang with v8 power plants so for EPA reasons it was a no brainer. I think the mustang should keep the v8 I'm 24 and its the first v8 I've ever owned but I love the car. For me if i wanted a turbo 4 id go with the focus based on power to weight and AWD capability. The mustang just doesn't sound right to me without the v8 grumble but i completely understand the 4 banger option. i modify so i can appreciate different tastes to each his own. But going worldwide platform opens the door to smaller engines the rest of the world has pretty much ditched v8's altogether so it seems that will be a natural progression for this car in the future.
Old 7/5/15, 04:39 PM
V6 Member

I'm ok with Ford's offering the Ecoboost to increase sales\meet standards, but personally I don't want a Mustang that isn't firing on all 8. I've played that game before, and has always left me wanting the 8. Honestly, it's the sound more than anything. My 2010 Camaro had plenty of power, at least as much HP as my 08 GT does stock, if not quite as much torque, but sounded like crap. Nothing puts a smile on my face the way that V8 sound at WOT does.

That said, if I had my GT paid off, I'd consider picking up a base Ecoboost as a DD and baby my GT. But I have to have the GT with a V8 to be ok with that. And, honestly, if I'm going to get a DD, I'd probably go with a cheaper FWD Focus.
Old 7/6/15, 10:30 AM
GT Member

I went from 2010 Mustang Premium (V6) to a 2012 Focus Titanium to a 2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium. There were a number of reasons I went from the Mustang to the Focus. First gas mileage. I could not make the trip from Atlanta to Ann Arbor with one fillup, I needed better gas mileage. Second I wanted the Infotainment system with Nav, Mustang did not offer. Third, the Mustang interior looked cheap with the hard plastic.

The Focus is a very nice car and the Titanium version does not leave you feeling like you are driving a cheap small car. But the acceleration was lacking and handling was alright (improved when I up UHP All-season tires in it). But the storage area was small and I had to put down a seat to carry my golf clubs. Also I did not have problems with the DCT, but a lot of people do not like it or are having problems.

The 2015 Mustang Ecoboost corrected all of the negatives that caused me to leave the Mustang. The interior does not look cheap. The gas mileage, especially on the highway is very good. And it now has MyFordTouch with Nav. So if you are thinking of a Focus as a daily driver compared to a Mustang Ecoboost, the Mustang is a clearly better.
Old 7/6/15, 12:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boss 0960
The turbo Camaro will be the base car and a potent V6 will be the upgrade. From GM's point of view, it's a genius plan. If somebody wants the turbo 4, they can save money by getting it in the base Camaro rather than paying extra for the "upgraded" Ecoboost. The cachet of the ecoboost as a premium powerplant will be lost when it's the standard format in Mustang's closest counterpart. For those who want the V6, they will get a much more powerful V6 than is available in the Mustang and they will be able to get the V6 Camaro with a premium interior.
I feel that GM has a better plan with engine line-up regarding the Camaro.

Quick Reply: Why EcoBoost Mustangs are Important to Ford