Ecoboost

To Ecoboost, or not to Ecboost

Search this Thread

Old 3/26/15, 06:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
To Ecoboost, or not to Ecboost

I am seriously considering a 2015 Ecoboost. I have a 2010 GT Convertible manual. I took a job farther from home and the traffic with my commute is way worse. I am at a standstill in traffic most days and the manual is starting to wear on me. Not to mention I have to fill the thirsty V8 2 or 3 times a week.

I concerned buying an economy car for the commute put I not really a 2 car guy. I know my current Mustang would just sit in the garage and take up space. Plus having to pay for 2 insurances would be an issue. The good thing is my current mustang is paid off, so there is not a worry about having two car payment.

I keep going back and forth on this issue. One day I decide to keep the car and the other I am ready to trade her in on a new one that is easier to live with every day.

If I do decide to get a new Mustang it would be an Automatic V6 or Ecoboost. Weather it is a convertible or not really comes down to how much I would get for the current model and if I want to keep driving a convertible every day.

Any of you had similar quandaries?
Old 3/26/15, 06:30 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before figuring out your final decision you should make sure you take a test drive. I assume your comment about shifting in traffic means you are considering an Ecoboost or V6 automatic. Either powertrain will work out pretty good while the Ecoboost works well with the automatic since it shifts while you have your foot into it.

V6 or Ecoboost--- the Ecoboost gets a bit better fuel economy rating. This decision would be governed by whether you would be looking for Premium content in a convertible or coupe. The convertible V6 cannot be had with Premium content; coupe yes, convertible no. The base V6 convertible is a heck of a deal actually but you need to figure out if you want the drop top or not. I, personally, liked my 1997 GT Convertible but I decided to not order a 2015 convertible because I had the top down about 4 times a year and the rest of the time it was cold, drafty, and the body twisted in corners or hitting bumps. So I went coupe with my 2015 order.

You should drive both the Eco and V6 to see what you think.

There is also the Focus ST which is a fun car. It gets the same FE as the Mustang Eco but only has a 6-spd manual. Also, I ruled this one out because it has an average rating of 26 mpg and a 10 gallon tank...uh, no thanks.

A 2.0L GTDI Fusion is also fun and gets better mileage than either Mustang but...much more appliance like than the Mustang.

It is too bad the 5.0L is a $7,000 option because a GT automatic coupe may be a good option as well but that is just a bit more $'s than the V6 Convertible. But, back in the FE area of '19' so that doesn't help out on the long drive.

Sorry I cannot help...I waffled around on this as well but took the Ecoboost Coupe with the manual....LOL

Last edited by wildsailor; 3/26/15 at 06:33 AM.
Old 3/26/15, 07:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I get that driving a manual in rush hour is annoying. I do it all the time. I doubt you will feel satisfied going from a GT to V6/Eco auto despite similar HP ratings.

Your mustang is all paid off why take on a $25-30k maybe they give you $12-15k on trade but you'll get a car you'll resent.

My suggestion, buy a commuter car. Finance or pay cash for a $6-8k civic, Camry, etc. I sell auto insurance, its typically not much more to add another car. People are actually surprised how much cheaper it is to add a second car. The multi-car discount and multi-policy negate the added cost. If your company wants to charge more, get quotes from GEICO, progressive, and esurance. (I'm an agent at esurance).
Old 3/26/15, 07:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

If I do get a V6 or Ecoboost it will most defiantly be a premium version. The inside of the car is important to me and I have to have leather seats. I looked at the GT with the premium package. However, it is just too much money.

I was also thinking about getting a light truck. Maybe a Tacoma or Explorer Sports-Trac to drive in every day. I do not know though. What I drive a car it is an extension of my personality. Even if it is “commuting” I like it drive something that is nice/fun to drive. When Motorcycles were my thing riding was kind of a therapy after a long day at the office. Putting the top down on a nice day and a cruise home took place of that.

The flip side of that is it seems like the top is more and more these days. It is either raining all the time or too hot. Like I said it is hard to come to a good conclusion. When the weather is nice and the traffic is light the Mustang I have now is everything I want in a car.

Last edited by SpeedCostsMoney; 3/26/15 at 08:06 AM.
Old 3/26/15, 07:49 AM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedCostsMoney
If I do get a V6 or Ecoboost it will most defiantly be a premium version. The inside of the car is important to me and I have to have leather seats. I looked at the GT with the premium package. However, it is just too much money.
Well then you're down to just the ecoboost since there is not premium option for the v6.
Old 3/26/15, 07:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you need leather, then the eco-4 premium is the way to go but it wont be cheap. Have you built one to your liking yet to check out the price. I made the same decision back in July 2014 when I found out that the 2015 v6 would not be offered with a premium option. I think the best Value is the 2015 v6 but you'll have to sacrifice the leather seats but the interior is still really nice, IMO.
Old 3/26/15, 08:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Sounds like you will be putting miles on whatever you get, why not just get a decent used car that gets good FE, as others have suggested, within a conservative budget and re visit your decision in a year or two, by then you may be convinced to either keep your Mustang or go another route. I honestly think you will regret going from a GT to a 4cyl/6cyl.
Old 3/26/15, 08:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I commute a lot and drop off my two small children at school, so having just the Mustang (2014) was no good for me. My insurance only went up $450 for the whole year for my Mustang V6 - which I love! My Accord does the grunt work during the week, and then I get to enjoy my Mustang on those beautiful days!!!
Old 3/26/15, 10:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

I can get a base 2015 GT with a Automatic for around $34,000 may be less if I found a good used one or a Ecoboost premium with everything I want one her for around $35,000.

I think I much rather have the engine than the interior. I could probably sell mine for around 16-18k which would be a huge dent on either car.

Name:  97F96088-60A9-43F6-8B94-D3A113230AA3_zpst8s9tff8.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  233.2 KB

What do you all think?

Last edited by SpeedCostsMoney; 3/26/15 at 10:49 AM.
Old 3/26/15, 11:00 AM
V6 Member

I can get a base 2015 GT with a Automatic for around $34,000 may be less if I found a good used one or a Ecoboost premium with everything I want one her for around $35,000.

I think I much rather have the engine than the interior. I could probably sell mine for around 16-18k which would be a huge dent on either car.

What do you all think?
The $34k for the base GT with auto is close. The $35k for the EB Premium is too high. More like $30-31k.

Can you get A or X plan? X takes about 7% off those estimated MSRP's; A about 10%.

But...that is a nice 2010 you have there. Before you decide ANYTHING go and get some seat time in all 3 to see what you think before going down the road too far on the decision.

I settled on the EB Premium because I was lucky enough to get some track time in a new 2015 EB Manual last Fall. But I was not coming into the Mustang from a GT Convertible; I am trading in a very nice, clean, very good working 2012 Focus that isn't even close to being a mundane sedan. I needed to get nto another Mustang after the "track attack" last Fall.

And, just to let you know, I was able to drag race the EB Performance Package 6m car I spent time in last Fall against a GT Auto and the GT beat me (no question) but only by about 1.5 car lengths at the end of the quarter. When I decided to order I took the 4 for the blend of performance, balance, cost, and FE. But, that is my decision and everyone sees it differently...

Last edited by wildsailor; 3/26/15 at 11:01 AM.
Old 3/26/15, 11:03 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by wildsailor

There is also the Focus ST which is a fun car. It gets the same FE as the Mustang Eco but only has a 6-spd manual. Also, I ruled this one out because it has an average rating of 26 mpg and a 10 gallon tank...uh, no thanks.
there is also the Focus RS to keep and eye out for...300+hp and AWD
That should be a really fun car!
Old 3/26/15, 11:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
there is also the Focus RS to keep and eye out for...300+hp and AWD
That should be a really fun car!
Nah...I have to have a car to match all my t-shirts and hats. I mean when i bought my last Mustang hat it came with a 2010 GT Convertible.
Old 3/26/15, 11:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Nah...I have to have a car to match all my t-shirts and hats. I mean when i bought my last Mustang hat it came with a 2010 GT Convertible.
No shame in that! Unfortunately it looks like that Focus RS is coming out NEXT spring anyway
I think it would make an awesome daily driver. Fast enough to have fun, AWD for the winter/rain, and highway MPG should be close to 30 if driven properly...
Old 3/26/15, 04:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Your 2010 GT is beautiful!!!
Old 3/26/15, 05:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice GT. Get some new shocks/struts and lowering springs and call it a day. Maybe some other performance mods.

Pick up a used focus or something. You can get a decent commuter under $10k with low mileage.

I came from a 2008 Charger RT. The mustang is about as fast but half the torque. I also miss the V8 rumble. Don't get me wrong, I love my 13 premium but there is the longing for a V8. I definitely don't miss the **** poor mileage though.
Old 3/27/15, 06:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by shouldhavegottheGT
Nice GT. Get some new shocks/struts and lowering springs and call it a day. Maybe some other performance mods.

Pick up a used focus or something. You can get a decent commuter under $10k with low mileage.

I came from a 2008 Charger RT. The mustang is about as fast but half the torque. I also miss the V8 rumble. Don't get me wrong, I love my 13 premium but there is the longing for a V8. I definitely don't miss the **** poor mileage though.
If I keep her supsension is the next thing I am going to do.
Old 3/27/15, 01:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

I still feel that an Ecoboost Premium might fit my needs. I woke this morning thinking about it and if the 2015 is really cool looking car. If it gets me the fuel economy and the comfort for everyday commute it might be the best over the GT. Man, I must be getting old! Economy and comfort is > speed.
Old 3/27/15, 05:05 PM
V6 Member

I still feel that an Ecoboost Premium might fit my needs. I woke this morning thinking about it and if the 2015 is really cool looking car. If it gets me the fuel economy and the comfort for everyday commute it might be the best over the GT. Man, I must be getting old! Economy and comfort is > speed.

The biggest thing is going to be whether you like the Ecoboost 'experience' or not (the sound, acceleration, and driving dynamics). As for 'speed' taking a lower priority or not by selecting the Ecoboost Premium I say not (of course I would; I am trying to buy one so I am biased). I could not find data on acceleration times for a 2010 GT Convertible but the lighter GT Coupe Manual is listed as 0-60 MPH in 5.1-5.3 seconds and 13.7-13.8 in the quarter (unless it has 3.73:1 gears). The 2015 Ecoboost Premium Coupe Auto is listed as 5.2-5.6 and 13.9-14.1 in the quarter. Not exactly slow unless you compare it to a Coyote GT (2011-2015).

Data source: http://www.0-60specs.com/ford-mustang-0-60-times/
Old 3/27/15, 09:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by shouldhavegottheGT
I get that driving a manual in rush hour is annoying. I do it all the time. I doubt you will feel satisfied going from a GT to V6/Eco auto despite similar HP ratings.

Your mustang is all paid off why take on a $25-30k maybe they give you $12-15k on trade but you'll get a car you'll resent.

My suggestion, buy a commuter car. Finance or pay cash for a $6-8k civic, Camry, etc. I sell auto insurance, its typically not much more to add another car. People are actually surprised how much cheaper it is to add a second car. The multi-car discount and multi-policy negate the added cost. If your company wants to charge more, get quotes from GEICO, progressive, and esurance. (I'm an agent at esurance).
+ 10 on both points. You can't replace the feeling of a torquy V8.

I picked up a '13 focus w/10k on the clock last year and it's been great. On ****ty traffic days or if it's going to rain/snow, I slog through in the commuter car, but usually on Fridays or if I know I'm going to get out of work early and beat traffic, I'll take the Mustang. With the gas savings alone taking the FoFo (30 mpg around town vs the 15 in the mustang), it makes up half the car payment.

The other effect of the commuter car...you get used to driving a slower car so the mustang feels faster by comparison. One guy on this forum said years ago that when it started feeling slow, the best mod he did to his Viper was to get an Accord as a DD.
Old 3/28/15, 03:17 PM
V6 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I chose the Ecoboost Premium Convertible for several reasons.
First, it is going to be a daily driver (except in bad weather, then Ill take the Silverado we inherited from my father in law). 10 MPG more for the Ecoboost will make a difference to me here in Northern CA where gas seems to be more expensive than almost anywhere else.
Second, I have been driving minivans and a Durango for the last 20 years as I have 4 children (all grown now). I am not going to miss the V8 experience I never had.
Third, I test drove the 4 and the 6 and I liked the ride of the ecoboost much better as far as handling and acceleration. I'm not a track or a mod guy so I'm not going to miss a lot of what the V8 offers
Forth, for the money It would cost me for a GT, Im getting a Premium model (I too need the leather seats), and a convertible all for $35,600

Now if it would only just get here. I ordered it on 2/10 because I also wanted a Manual transmission. It is supposed to be delivered on 5/1. I can hardly wait.

Quick Reply: To Ecoboost, or not to Ecboost