V6

Does it shut off if the key is too far?

Search this Thread

Old 8/26/16, 05:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does it shut off if the key is too far?

Quick question, does the car automatically shut off if you leave the engine on but leave with the key? I cant seem to find it in the manual online. I have the 2015 ford mustang v6 by the way.
Old 8/26/16, 07:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 775 Likes on 566 Posts
I am pretty sure it shuts off. I don't know how far away the car has to from the fob before it shuts off. Give it a try and let us know.
Old 8/26/16, 09:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
I would hope it does not shut off so people can leave others in the car with the air conditioner running.
Old 8/26/16, 10:01 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I'd think it would shut off if the "key" gets too far away. When you leave it running with someone in the car, the key stays in the car, just like you would do with a conventional key.
Old 8/26/16, 10:24 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My wife and left a restaurant and as I stopped at a Stop sign, the message center showed the following: "No key detected engine will shut down", there was more to the message but I cannot recall it all, it may have been miles or a time period. The dealer happened to be across the Interstate, so I drove right into the service bay. A tech and the service writer both looked at it. The consensus was my cell phone, which was in the same pocket as my key, interrupted the signal. A problem they had noted on a Lincoln recently. I now carry the key in the opposite pocket from the phone. No problems.

So, I would assume the car will shut down when it does not detect the key in the car.
If this is a problem for you, give it a test run. Start the car and leave someone inside, without the key, to check the message screen and then see if the car shuts off.
Old 8/26/16, 10:56 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
In my wife's Lincoln there is a setting for how long it will run. Hers is 20 minutes, same as when she uses remote start. If she sits too long, even with the key, it will shut down too.

I imagine that the Mustang is the same.
Old 8/26/16, 11:13 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by JimC
In my wife's Lincoln there is a setting for how long it will run. Hers is 20 minutes, same as when she uses remote start. If she sits too long, even with the key, it will shut down too.

I imagine that the Mustang is the same.
My Jeep is similar to that as well. If you get out with it running it says "Key Fob has left vehicle" and it shuts off in 15 minutes like the remote start.

I figure its for safety so if you left it in the garage and came in for something, got a phone call, got sidetracked with a kid, etc. and forgot, it wouldn't sit there and run all night and kill everyone with carbon monoxide poisoning.

Same with the remote start I figure.

Don't know about the Mustang, but I also noticed the Jeep wont start by remote if its low on fuel, like after the low fuel light has come on (50 or 75 miles I think). I guess so it doesn't run out of gas.
Old 8/26/16, 01:11 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I have a 2014 Exploder so it's a ford...

Last year I went to an Aggie football game with my kids. My wife drode the car and dropped us off near the stadium. She drove away. I got all the way inside the stadium and in my set before I realized I had the key to the car. I called her. She was sitting at Sonic with the car still running. The car still ran 5 miles from the car as long as it was running. If she had turned it off it wouldn't have turned back on.

I went down to the gate and asked the gate attendant if I could leave and come back which was forbidden according to the signs. I pulled out the key and showed her I had the key to the wife's car and she didn't and she let me go and said come back to her to get in. My wife met me back at the spot where we parted and I have her the key. And I got back in the game.

So that's what I know a 2014 Explorer will do.
Old 8/26/16, 01:28 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I have a 2014 Exploder so it's a ford...

Last year I went to an Aggie football game with my kids. My wife drode the car and dropped us off near the stadium. She drove away. I got all the way inside the stadium and in my set before I realized I had the key to the car. I called her. She was sitting at Sonic with the car still running. The car still ran 5 miles from the car as long as it was running. If she had turned it off it wouldn't have turned back on.

I went down to the gate and asked the gate attendant if I could leave and come back which was forbidden according to the signs. I pulled out the key and showed her I had the key to the wife's car and she didn't and she let me go and said come back to her to get in. My wife met me back at the spot where we parted and I have her the key. And I got back in the game.

So that's what I know a 2014 Explorer will do.
How long of a time frame was that? Surely it would have cut off after a certain length of time.
Old 8/26/16, 01:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My jeep stays running but a bell dings inside and it's annoying for person left in car,never have had it shut off yet and I've also left the 2016 Mustang running while I've gone into a biz but don't think it's ever been over 15 min so I don't know it's still new.
Old 8/26/16, 02:54 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
How long of a time frame was that? Surely it would have cut off after a certain length of time.
It ran for at least 30-40 minutes
And the dash did display key not present

And stupid me it was my car at the time and I knew when you shut the door with the car running and the key isn't in the car it honks as a reminder. And it did honk but I paid no attention to it.
Old 8/26/16, 03:14 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
It ran for at least 30-40 minutes
And the dash did display key not present

And stupid me it was my car at the time and I knew when you shut the door with the car running and the key isn't in the car it honks as a reminder. And it did honk but I paid no attention to it.
Wow! That is crazy! If someone jumped in it and stole it in that state, sounds like they could just keep going indefinitely as long as they left it running and kept gas in it! I haven't tried it in the Jeep to see how long it would go, but it said in the manual that it would cut off in 15 minutes without the fob in the car. And the one time I did leave it running and went in to pick up a call in order, I'm pretty sure I had to hit the start button again when I got back in before it would come out of park. Same way when you remote start it, you have to hit the start button inside with the fob in the car to get it out of park AFAIK.

I'll try it shortly when I go pick up some food.
Old 8/26/16, 03:17 PM
Post *****

Maybe we just got lucky

Because my wife would have pinched my head completely off if I had stranded her in an immobile car while I was in a football game.
Old 8/27/16, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Wow! That is crazy! If someone jumped in it and stole it in that state, sounds like they could just keep going indefinitely as long as they left it running and kept gas in it! I haven't tried it in the Jeep to see how long it would go, but it said in the manual that it would cut off in 15 minutes without the fob in the car. And the one time I did leave it running and went in to pick up a call in order, I'm pretty sure I had to hit the start button again when I got back in before it would come out of park. Same way when you remote start it, you have to hit the start button inside with the fob in the car to get it out of park AFAIK.

I'll try it shortly when I go pick up some food.
If no Fob isn't present in my jeep when you touch the brakes it shuts off,no way to steel it I tried this out,it will run but without fob it will die sone as you try to put it in gear or drive.

Last edited by ranger56528; 8/27/16 at 02:12 PM.
Old 8/27/16, 02:11 PM

My jeep dies out soon as you touch brake...

Just tried my 2016 v6 Mustang and I got in horn honked twice and I drove away without fob,very interesting I put fob in house and I could drive away,don't like that.......You think it wouldn't let you do that....I'm sure there is some safety but if it's 15 min car could be long gone...I don't like.