Tire and Wheel Tech All the tire and wheel technical information you can think of in one place!

Spare tire & wheel for a 2012

Search this Thread

Old 11/17/14, 07:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Spare tire & wheel for a 2012

These newer Mustangs come with an air pump and some sealing fluid. I sure would like a spare or even a "do-nut". Will a do-nut from an older Mustang work?

On my 2012 I have 19" rims with 255/4 Coopers on it.

Hershey
Attached Images  
Old 11/18/14, 12:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
You need the 18" spare from a GT that didn't have the Brembo or track pack. If you have Brembo brakes the spare will only fit on the rear.

Don't forget the jack, tire tool, tool roll and bolts to secure the jack and tire.
Old 11/19/14, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I purchased the tire and wheel from Discount Tire Direct - it seems like a great solution and you get a full size spare that fits over the brembo brakes. Check out some old threads on here
Old 11/19/14, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tucci139
I purchased the tire and wheel from Discount Tire Direct - it seems like a great solution and you get a full size spare that fits over the brembo brakes. Check out some old threads on here
check this out:

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...firmed-495464/
Old 11/20/14, 12:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yep, just be aware your trunk floor will stick up about 1". That's why I went with the GT spare.
Old 11/20/14, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
Yep, just be aware your trunk floor will stick up about 1". That's why I went with the GT spare.
Didn't know about that option - but does that fit over the Brembo brakes in the GT Track Package. Also, I haven't tested it yet - but think the tire sticks up a little less than 1", but I will take pics once I install this weekend.
Old 11/20/14, 02:34 PM

Just noticed you mentioned this was for a non- brembo GT. I know you can swamp front and back and all that, but don't want to do that when I get a flat. I did see pics on eBay about this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-MUSTANG-GT-COYOTE-GT500-18-SPARE-WHEEL-TIRE-SPACE-SAVER-BREMBO-SHELBY-/261657422396?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Wheel_Packages&hash=item3cebff6a3c&vxp=mtr
but only after I bought the other spare - down side is on a long trip I do prefer a full size spare so I am OK with what I got unless like you said it doesn't fit correctly in the tire well. Decisions, Decisions - but don't think I can return the Drag wheel and tire at this point. Would love to hear from others who solved this problem more recently - unfortunately I followed the advice from an old thread.
Old 11/20/14, 02:41 PM

OK I bought one of these - I will try both and be a guinea pig for others and then tell everyone the specs, how it fits in the trunk, etc. I want to get this correct. If the older spare works and weighs less I will keep that and then buy three more of the other wheel for my snow tire set.....stay tuned. And, I hope my money and time will save others from the same problem.
Old 11/20/14, 04:32 PM

Here is the spare I ended up getting for mine. Doesn't stick up and includes the mounting hardware, jack and wrench.

http://www.partscheap.com/Mustang-Sp...3z-1k007-a.htm
Old 11/20/14, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by turling10
Here is the spare I ended up getting for mine. Doesn't stick up and includes the mounting hardware, jack and wrench.

http://www.partscheap.com/Mustang-Sp...3z-1k007-a.htm
Good option if you don't have factory brembo brakes on your GT. Unfortunately, many do or some even place aftermarket big brakes on the car then this spare won't work.
Old 11/20/14, 05:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Didn't know about that option - but does that fit over the Brembo brakes in the GT Track Package. Also, I haven't tested it yet - but think the tire sticks up a little less than 1", but I will take pics once I install this weekend.
No, it won't. Like me, you would have to replace the good rear wheel with the spare, then replace the flat front with the good rear. I believe a solution using wheel spacers may exist as well.
Old 11/20/14, 05:27 PM

No, it won't. Like me, you would have to replace the good rear wheel with the spare, then replace the flat front with the good rear. I believe a solution using wheel spacers may exist as well.
Is the one you have like the one I found on eBay? Or is it the steel wheel kit? The ad on eBay says it fits over brembo brakes - we'll see soon. I'll post results of what I learn.
Old 11/21/14, 07:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Is the one you have like the one I found on eBay? Or is it the steel wheel kit? The ad on eBay says it fits over brembo brakes - we'll see soon. I'll post results of what I learn.
Hmm. Well, mine definitely looks like that (aluminum) but I'd have to check the part number to be sure.

I have to admit I haven't tried installing it on the front, because when I was going through this someone else told me it wouldn't fit on the front but would fit the back. I was in a hurry before my road trip so I only tested the back.

But so what if it doesn't fit the front? You're still not screwed if you get a flat, just twice as inconvenienced.
Old 11/21/14, 02:56 PM

Hmm. Well, mine definitely looks like that (aluminum) but I'd have to check the part number to be sure.

I have to admit I haven't tried installing it on the front, because when I was going through this someone else told me it wouldn't fit on the front but would fit the back. I was in a hurry before my road trip so I only tested the back.

But so what if it doesn't fit the front? You're still not screwed if you get a flat, just twice as inconvenienced.
Agreed and its way cheaper than the full size spare - good choice.
Old 11/21/14, 07:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Agreed and its way cheaper than the full size spare - good choice.
Hey, so please do post results trying it the front. I'd be interested knowing if a wheel spacer can make it work on the front, because it is compact and light and would reduce the time spent on the roadside.
Old 11/22/14, 02:54 PM

Hey, so please do post results trying it the front. I'd be interested knowing if a wheel spacer can make it work on the front, because it is compact and light and would reduce the time spent on the roadside.
The aluminum GT spare shipped today - I purchased on eBay. I know the Drag wheel solution works, but since I will have a complete set of PDX wheel/tires - I can always grab one of those as a full size spare if I need one.

Look for a post back on here next week with pics. I think someone should start a nice sticky thread with all the spare tire info in one place - seems like a common problem revisited every few years.
Old 12/14/14, 05:06 PM

The aluminum GT spare shipped today - I purchased on eBay. I know the Drag wheel solution works, but since I will have a complete set of PDX wheel/tires - I can always grab one of those as a full size spare if I need one.

Look for a post back on here next week with pics. I think someone should start a nice sticky thread with all the spare tire info in one place - seems like a common problem revisited every few years.
Well here is the verdict. The Drag 31 is probably the spare to get if you want a full size spare for a road trip, etc. If you are OK with potentially changing two tires then the aluminum spare on eBay will work on the back only.

I am still trying to decide if I will return the aluminum spare. But, I did confirm it does NOT fit on the front with Brembo brakes on my 2014 Mustang GT. So, in summary you have three options:

1. Stick with the fix a flat kit from Ford and hope for the best.
2. Get a aluminum 18" spare made for a Mustang GT - see ads on eBay - the ads are mistaken - they ONLY fit on the back. Some say you can get a 35mm spacer for the front, but once you start adding up the cost - probably best to get a full size spare. Advantages - lighter, cheaper. Disadvantages - may need to change tire twice back to front if you get a front flat. Also, if you get a 35mm spacer (and I didn't confirm this works) the cost goes over the cost of a full size spare.
3. http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ull-spare.html
and other similar posts describe getting the Drag 31 wheel - looks similar to a track pack wheel and is not too expensive.

Probably going to stay with the 18" temporary spare - for me this works since I will have full size wheel/tires from my track tires to use for longer road trips. Good luck all, hope this helps.
Old 1/28/15, 07:33 AM

I have a full size spare which covers my Brembo brake as well. Dealer ordered for me when I bought the car as part of our purchase negotiation. It fits in the truck perfect. It just pushes up the trunk carpet by about an inch or less.
Attached Thumbnails Spare tire & wheel  for a 2012-full-size-spare-over-brembo.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 7/28/22, 08:15 PM

Spare tire kit with spacer

You need the 18" spare from a GT that didn't have the Brembo or track pack. If you have Brembo brakes the spare will only fit on the rear.

Don't forget the jack, tire tool, tool roll and bolts to secure the jack and tire.
my kit provided the spacer to use with brembo calipers.
Old 7/29/22, 11:08 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,535 Likes on 1,871 Posts
Back in the Day Ford Offered a Spare Tire Kit under Base Part Number 1K007. Most are Likely Discontinued these Days! & Yes I Know this is an Old Topic! Note they were mostly for Base Vehicles! Not Big Brake Package.

Last edited by 05stangkc; 7/29/22 at 11:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Spare tire & wheel for a 2012