Tire and Wheel Tech All the tire and wheel technical information you can think of in one place!

Mustanger's Guide to Perfect Tires

Old 1/2/13, 11:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mustanger's Guide to Perfect Tires

I havent seen a thread like this anywhere but here it goes..

This will be a thread that contains personal experiences we as mustangers have had with different tire brands, sizes etc.

It will be devided into four sections: Summer, All season, Winter an Drag radials

I will condense your review from your reply into the first two posts on this thread.

When you "submit" your review, state the season (Summer etc), size (315/35/17) and front or rear placement and your impressions.

Hopefully this thread can aide in tire buying for all mustangers!

Lets see if this will take off..

Summer:

Sumitomo HTZ R, 315/35/17, rear

"These are a alright budget tire, the compound is very hard, which leads to long life but subsequently leads to very bad traction. Would I buy again? NO." -Cpotts13

Dunlop Z1 star spec. 245/45-17

"Awsome handling tire, high limits and communicates well. steering responce is spot on with other top tier tires I have felt. Braking grip is very high, next to zero slip under harding braking ( I have no abs ). great track day tire also, decent in rain. price makes it totally worth it imo. I also have these tires on my Contour 205/55-16 ( replacing hard to find 215/50-16) love these that much, replacing BFG KDW ( old tread pattern) no need to review that tire is no longer made."-Skunk21

Sumitomo HTZ II, 275/35/18, front and rear

"The tread design really stands out and makes them unique. I drive a 2010 v6 so i cant truly attest to traction, but they are a good tire and I would purchase again"

"I have these on the back of my Bullitt and all I can say is that traction does not exist with these tires in an wet environment. If it rains I have to be very careful as I have no traction with these tires. I often spin coming out of a side street onto a main road or coming off a hill where I may need to give it a bit of gas to keep from rolling backwards the tires will spin considerably.
I will be looking at new tires this spring in hopes of finding something that works better all year round as my Bullitt is my DD."-Steve@CJPP

Nitto NT555's

"For a summer tire, I like them living here in the state of Texas. We get very little "winter weather". In the rain, I'm not a fan of them, but I'm not scared to drive the car while it's raining. I've ran a few sessions on the road course with a set of these. Once on my Lightning, and a few times on my 12' 5.0. It did fairly well. I couldn't push the car as much as I wanted to in some areas, but I never once spun off the track.
I have ran these tires in all shape and size. These have been on my 02' Vortech GT, 2012 5.0, 99' Lightning, and even my 13' 5.0. I'm a fan of the tire for DD use."-Jarrod@latermodelresto

"Running Nitto 555 up front right now. Hard to beat mustang tire. Traction is pretty good. They last a pretty good while. Wet weather is just ok but it's a mustang so slow it down in the rain. I will be upgrading to Toyo when these are done."-AlsCobra

"Alright guys, about a month ago i replaced my old worn out kumhos (up front) with a set of nitto nt555's, after driving them in weather ranging from 33 degrees and raining to 90 degrees and sunny (gotta love texas) I feel like i can properly review them. My first thought when i got these tires put onto my car was "no way these are 245's! they were alot wider then the all season kumhos I had on before and they were the same size. Speaking of appearance they have a nice tread design, nothing to crazy but nothing to boring. I also liked the side wall how it was smooth and didnt have a bunch of raised areas, makes it alot easier to apply and remove tire shine. Just a thought though.
Now let me tell you, these tires shine in every area and at every challenge that has been thrown at them. I noticed right off the bat how strong the side walls were, they eliminated the gushy feeling I had. In the rain I have not experienced any hydroplaining with them, they are good in the rain. There was on instance i had to plant my foot to the firewall to stop and the they never slipped of slid, and it was raining! In dry weather they are superb, I feel like I am fully taking advantage of all my suspension mods with these tires, weird to say, but they inspire enough confidence to push hard.
All in all i would definitely recomend this tire to everyone, for the price there is nothing better. I will be replacing my crap sumis out back with these asap."-Cpotts13

"I ran these for only 150 miles on our 2011 whippled mustang. Running just at 625RWHP, traction was non-existent. Then again getting a DR in a 20's wheel is pointless anyways as the sidewall is not wide enough. I have a buddy running DR 315/35/20 on his 2012 Shelby and is having good luck, lifespan is decent for a DR (around 10k miles). Actually drove it in the ran and had no issues just needed to drive with a lighter foot."-Jay@Hypermotive

"Running Nitto 555's up front, 275/35/20, Nitto 555r's out back, 305/35/20. When warm, these tires actually grip on a launch with my '13 Shelby on a street. No, it's not a complete grab, but for these DR's to hold onto a non-dragstrip surface (when sufficiently warm) with as much as half throttle from a dead stop is hard to believe. I've run track apps and recorded 0-60 times of just over 4.5 seconds (again, on a street, and without launch control), which is quite impressive. The 555's up front are a significant improvement over OEM, they will stick like glue in anything over 75 degrees. Wet traction is not the best, but driving carefully in the rain should be common sense anyway. These will get you where you need to go, as long as you remember you're driving a muscle car in the rain. I have had one slip from the rears in wet, none from the front. Excellent, excellent tires."-KcoTiger

Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3

"They were summer tires, but I remember them doing admirably well in the wet. There was a lot less slipping around in my drive after installing them. However, they were not cheap and do not last long. My second accident can be mostly attributed to the fact that I ran those tires until they were bald (<20k miles) and then hit water
Aside from the cost, I'd recommend them to everyone."-future9er24

Michelin Pilot PS2's

"Great all weather tires that offers an abundant amount of traction in dry and even cold weather. Still has decent traction in wet weather. Ran these on a whippled 2011 for a very short period of time so I can't comment on the longevity. Are they worth the cost? Yes...."-Jay@hypermotive

Michelin SS

Name:  mi_pilot_ss_ci2_l_zps9fbc29f4.jpg
Views: 5149
Size:  13.0 KB

"Traction is phenomenal, have a customer using these on his tracked boss, despite the softer sidewall he was able to negate the issue but going with 265/35/19 and 295/30/19. Wet weather is actually pretty good. I haven't ran these personally but driven in them, tested them out a bit. Worth it? If you have the coin."-Jay@hypermotive

"Michelin Pilot Super Sport, summer tire. Phenomenal dry handling, predictable, quiet, have yet to find the limit. I can romp through on/offramps without slowing down, running 275-35-18's on SVT 2009 GT500 rims, these balanced nicely but needed a re-balance after 150 miles after they settled. Ran Sumitomo HTZ R3 and Nitto 555 Extremes previously, they kill both. Rain traction is excellent, best tire I've run yet."-Womprat

Hankook V12's

Name:  hk_ventus_v12evo_ci2_l_zps5d185e84.jpg
Views: 4936
Size:  13.6 KB

"I've ran these the longest and for the money can tell you these are fantastic. Good in wet, dry, hot or cold. Traction is still not the best but we did fine running a mid 600RWHP on these at the tail of the dragon. Handled flawlessly around the corners. By far the "best bang for the buck". I ran these for 10k and could go another 10k easily on them."-Jay@Hypermotive

"I run the hankook v12's and like them alot. I can't say how they compare to other tires but for the most part they do what I want them to do."-Glenn

Nitto Inovs

Name:  images_zps12f04b4d.jpg
Views: 4972
Size:  11.0 KB

"I just put on a set of Nitto Invos about two weeks ago. I run 20x9 wheels all around and a staggered 255-35 front 275-35 rear setup. So far they are miles ahead of the nt555s they replaced. They get better cold traction than the 555s and I have driven in a heavy rain with no traction problems. On dry pavement, they seem to hook great. I am looking forward to this summer to try them out at the strip and see how they are on warm pavement."-dirtfan71

Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport

Name:  bs_potenza_re760_spt_ci2_l_zps269f8bf2.jpg
Views: 5145
Size:  13.2 KB

"255/45-18s in all four corners.
Compared to the OEM tires, these are so much better! I had these on my previous car and on my current 5.0 GT and love them! They're sticky and haven't given me anything to worry about in the rain. They just want to stick. I even took them to a road track and I could sling my base '12 GT in the corners and the front and rear would just clamp down! They were very reasonably priced from Discount Tire and will be my tires of choice from here on. Recommend? Yes!"-Krohn

All season:

Cooper RS3 A, 255/40/19

"I have about 3000 miles on them so far, in dry/wet and cold temps.
In my opinion, a very under rated tire.
Dry-- good roadholding and no feelings of loss of traction, I routinely drive a 3 mile stretch of 2 lane that has some long curves and several 30 mph curves, these tires handle speeds of 60 plus in the curves without any complaint.
Wet-- Very stable and difficult to break loose, I have tried several times without success.
Cold-- Driven in 30's and 40's so far and other than initial flat spots until they get warmed up, I can't find any fault.
0I really like these tires, they are a bit noisier than my OE tires but for an all season they handle almost as well as the summer Goodyear F1's.
I would definitely buy these again."-Mustang259

"I have to say the same thing. I LOVE my RS3-As. A lot. They look good, are priced very reasonable compared to the rest, and fantastic performance. Especially the wet, which is the major reason I buy any tire and like them (All seasons that is... slicks wouldn't count. ). If it sucks in the wet, that tire sucks. Period. These definitely do not suck."-houtex

Cooper Zeon Sport R/S 245/45/ZR17

"All around good tire. Dry traction is good, so is wet traction. Very low noise, I don't have any complaints with this tire as they have lasted for approx 25,000 miles. I would buy them again, but I now have a job where I can get a better tire at wholesale price"-Bluethunderhorse

"I wouldn't ever buy these tires again, sure the treadwear is ok, but they spin out easy in wet conditions, also if your car has traction control these tires spin a little while going around turns which throws your traction control in a wack which they always did in my 350z. so I switched to the General G-max and all issues solved and prolly what I will be putting on my 2014 Gt in about 3 weeks when i roder my new wheels and tires for it."-Kevin0027

Continental DWS. 225/50-17

"Good all around all season tire ( ran these on my Lincoln) . good in the snow average on compacted snow and icey/slush. Just like any all season it has limits vs a snow so speed is key, does very good in turns and lower speeds. Very good in rain and decent ride ( stiffer side walls than passenger tires) on dry roads, cold weather dry handling is okay but limits are much lower. summer dry roads good to decent steering feel ( you feel where it lacks when driving under a better handling tire but to the average good tire), good braking feel."-Skunk21

"We put the Conti DWS on our 2013 GT500 the day after we got the car. They've proved to be superior to the stock GYs in the wet and in the cold. Traction is good on warm, dry pavement but not as good as the GYs.
It poured for 2 days when we got these put on the car. We had NO problems with wet traction or hydroplaning. Even with 660 bhp.
If you're planning to drive in the rain or cold weather, these tires are very good."-UOP Shadow

"I am in Maryland and on Tuesday (Jan 22) I had the Continental DWS 245/45/19 installed on my GT Prem, square set up. Good thing I finally got rid of the Pirelli's, as it snowed here yesterday. The Pirelli's were awful even in good conditions. I had five track days in 2012, and they became rock hard, and lost any traction they did have. As for the Conti's, they really performed well in the snow. I found that I was doing better than most cars on the road, and even had better traction then some SUV's that were sliding all over the place. I won't state that I didn't loose traction here and there, but I never felt out of control. When I did loose traction, letting up on the gas allowed the car to quickly reestablish itself and provide the needed grip to keep going. Even stopping on an upgraded hill, which got me nervous, really wasn't an issue. I only have had these tires for two days, but I am already impressed with their ability in difficult conditions. I do not intend to track these tires, and will use them as my daily drivers, as I intend to get summer tires for the track. At this point, I am down to three, RE-11, RS-3S (Cooper), or R-S3 (Hankook). Realistically, I think they probably will all give just fine performance. I probably am going to go for 18" and a square set up of 275/40, but may have to go to either 275/35 or 285/35 as the tires don't come in all sizes"-einstr

"I'm on my second set of Continental DWS tires. I got the first set back in March of 2010 and the set lasted about 41K miles (was commuting back and forth from NJ to MD for nearly a year and half) and I got the new set this past October. Great all around traction in wet weather and decent performance in the snow...as long its not more then 2-3 inches of the white stuff.
If your looking for a great all around tire for a daily driver, I'd recommend these tires."-Gt98

Michelin Pilot sport A/S plus. 225/50-17

"Very good all around all season tire ( current tire on my Lincoln). Good in snow, turn in snowy roads much better at slower speeds than the DWS imo. still average on compacted snow and icey/slushy roads ( just the limts of all season compund).abouh the same ride has DWS but much more crisper handling traits, turn in much, much better both wet and dry. very high limits and great braking grip. highly recommend."-Skunk21

BFG g-Force sports

"I've got BFG g-Force sports on my car now. Love them, they've got good traction in dry and wet, and were a very good price as well. Think I paid like 115 each totally installed and balanced. They are summer tires, so snow probably isn't a good idea, but if you only have it occasionally like we do in SC, then you should be fine if careful. And they look pretty awesome too."-StangMahn

Goodyear Eagle Gt 235/55/17

"I’ve had these tires on the car for a while now, but I wanted to wait to do a review of them until I have several hundred miles on them and had driven them in a range of conditions. Reviews written the minute you get home from the tire shop are pointless as far as I’m concerned.
They are Goodyear Eagle GT all seasons, with a W speed rating. (Be aware, these are different than the Eagle GT’s with the V speed rating). Tire rack lists them as an ‘ultra-high performance all-season.’ I was looking for a long lasting, reasonably affordable OEM replacement tire to replace my OEM Pirellis that would be at least as capable as the OEM tire as far as handling goes.

With that said; let’s get to the important stuff first:
DRY ROAD HOLDING/HANDLING: In a word; it’s excellent. These aren’t r-comp track tires, and they aren’t drag radials. But as long as you understand that and don’t expect them to be something they’re not, I think they’re highly impressive. There’s an approximately 110 degree tight radius sweeping freeway exit I take on a regular basis on my way to work, it has a 25MPH speed advisory. With the OEM Pirellis, 45MPH had the fronts squealing for mercy, and much faster than that caused pretty dramatic push from the front end. The Eagles turn in crisp and hold 55-60MPH through the turn without a hint of complaint. I find that they’re more stable mid corner than the Pirellis were in steady sweepers. They’re a confidence inspiring tire, and don’t feel as twitchy as the Pirellis under minor steering corrections mid corner. I haven’t been to the track, so I can’t speak to their abilities there, but they launch on the street far better than the Pirellis did. They hold WOT in first gear from a stop (in my mostly stock GT) with only a little chirping, when the Pirellis under the same conditions would break lose entirely. The only condition I’ve found that confuses these tires somewhat in the dry is rapid, violent left-right-left-right turning such as a slalom, but that’s probably partly down to the 55 series sidewall of the 17 inch wheels.
WET ROAD HOLDING/HANDLING: Again, excellent is the word I want to use here. Because one half of the asymmetrical tread pattern is designed for wet weather they grip very well in the wet. There’s a depression on the freeway on my daily commute that collects a large patch of standing water during heavy rain. Hitting this puddle with the Pirellis always caused a momentary sensation of hydroplaning and a twitch of the steering wheel. The Eagles blast through the same water without any sensation of hydroplaning. Additionally, it takes a significant amount of hooning with the traction control off to get the car sideways on wet roads. They’re a very stable tire in the wet. I haven’t driven them in the snow, and I don’t plan to drive this car in the snow. Frankly I think if you do drive your mustang in the snow, you owe it to yourself to buy a dedicated set of snow tires.
COMFORT: Comfort doesn’t matter a whole lot to me if I’m honest. I spent the last three years driving a lowered pickup with very old, worn out suspension, so this car is a great leap forward in the comfort department regardless. However, I do think that they are a little rougher riding than the Pirellis were. Not so much to be irritating (to me anyway), but they do seem to have a little stiffer sidewall. I think they’re just a little quieter than the Pirellis as far as road noise, but they’re definitely not a silent tire.
AESTHETICS: I’m not the sort of person who buys a tire based on how “cool” the tread pattern or sidewall looks, but if that does matter to you, I think they’re definitely a “cool” looking tire. For one thing, the name Eagle GT just sounds like it belongs on a muscle car, and definitely looks good on the sidewall. Also, they look beefier than the Pirellis did, despite being the same size. Somehow they look a little bigger and wider than the Pirellis. They also have the rim-protector lip which is nice to have. The tread pattern itself is pretty aggressive looking I think. The inside section looks pretty similar to the Pirellis, and the outside section sorta reminds me of the BFG G-Force T/A. Another thing to keep in mind is that they’re asymmetrical rather than directional. For me that’s a plus because it means they can be rotated more efficiently, and more rotations = longer life.
In conclusion, I’m very pleased with these tires; they do exactly what I was hoping they would do, for a price that I could handle. I expect with regular rotations and my driving style to get about 40,000 miles out of these tires. I’ll update this after the first rotation, or if they do anything unexpected"-Kevin509

"Just bought a set (around Xmas) of the Goodyear Eagle GT for my GT/CS in the original stock size of 235/50ZR18 with a speed rating of 97W. The label indicates it as a 'High Performance All Season' radial. They replaced the BFG originals which weren't too bad.
I am extremely impressed with the performance in the rain and cold which it seems to be almost daily here in western NC lately. The grip is outstanding and comparable to the Goodyear GS-D3 I have on my Trans Am. I know it is early in the game for these new tires but all my experiences with Goodyear have been very positive. ** UPDATE: Just returned home from a 5,600 miles trip to the southwestern US. These tires exceeded every expectation. A horrible rainstorm was encountered for hours in AL and MS on the way out and the traction was superb with no hydroplaning at highway speeds. Complete confidence! The handling on a very twisty section of Rte 66 in AZ was also excellent. The beading is also not an issue (like the original BFG) as there was no air loss whatsoever. The tread wear appears to be very good and the mostly highway miles were very comfortable. I realize these are not inexpensive tires but I highly recommend them for those seeking quality."-NC07GTCS

General Exclaim UHPs

"excellent all around tire, summer and wet, quiet, and relatively inexpensive. I'd recommend and buy these again."-laserred38

BFG g-Force Super Sport A/S

Name:  BFG_gForceSuperSportASHV_zps98ad65dc.jpg
Views: 5134
Size:  15.1 KB

"current tires, decent dry grip, quiet, soft sidewall though, great in the wet, decently priced. I'd recommend and buy these again."-laserred38

Winter:

Hankook I-Pike RW11
( car version is I-Pike W409 )

"I run these on my Explorer. Great winter tire, great price. I used to run Blizzaks, cost more $$ and had way more tread squirm/mush. These handle much better, have a much better ride and eat snow and ice just the same. 'nuff said"-Skunk21

Hankook DynaPro A/Ts

"225/75-16s in all four corners.
I have these on my 2002 Ford Escape XLT 4WD V6 and I love them! Great Price! Great Traction! and Great Look! Noise is minimal, ride is slightly stiffer than the stock Michelins, but they are such a great bang for the buck! I haven't had the opportunity to review their off-road traction yet. Recommend? Yes."-Krohn

Drag Radials:

Nitto Nt555r

Name:  0000031_300_zpsa679a2c0.jpg
Views: 5248
Size:  47.8 KB

"Running Nitto drags out back which are great in the hotter months. 10k mile tires if you don't drag race often. Don't get em wet. (Gremlins) lol
Still on the fence about new DR's out back. Gonna try Toyo and report back."-AlsCobra

"Running Nitto 555's up front, 275/35/20, Nitto 555r's out back, 305/35/20. When warm, these tires actually grip on a launch with my '13 Shelby on a street. No, it's not a complete grab, but for these DR's to hold onto a non-dragstrip surface (when sufficiently warm) with as much as half throttle from a dead stop is hard to believe. I've run track apps and recorded 0-60 times of just over 4.5 seconds (again, on a street, and without launch control), which is quite impressive. The 555's up front are a significant improvement over OEM, they will stick like glue in anything over 75 degrees. Wet traction is not the best, but driving carefully in the rain should be common sense anyway. These will get you where you need to go, as long as you remember you're driving a muscle car in the rain. I have had one slip from the rears in wet, none from the front. Excellent, excellent tires."-KcoTiger
Attached Images          

Last edited by cpotts13; 5/3/13 at 01:27 PM.
Old 1/3/13, 12:04 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Sicky?
Old 1/3/13, 12:08 AM
Cobra R Member

Reserved for expansion.

Last edited by cpotts13; 1/4/13 at 12:31 PM.
Old 1/3/13, 07:49 AM
Cobra R Member

I'll unclog the thread since you moved my info.

Last edited by skunk21; 1/3/13 at 03:51 PM.
Old 1/3/13, 08:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Good idea for a thread. I posted a fairly detailed review of the Goodyear Eagle GT All Season here:

https://themustangsource.com/f637/go...review-507972/

I'd like to add to that review now that I've driven the tire in the snow that they are what I'd call "acceptable for occasional snow and ice use."

In other words, if you're mustang is your winter DD and you know you're going to be doing lots of driving in winter conditions I'd recommend a proper winter tire. But if you're mustang isn't a winter DD but might occasionally be driven in winter conditions, or just driven in extreme cold these tires are more than sufficient. They are a significant improvement on the oem Pirelli tire in this regard.
Old 1/3/13, 09:00 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I've got BFG g-Force sports on my car now. Love them, they've got good traction in dry and wet, and were a very good price as well. Think I paid like 115 each totally installed and balanced. They are summer tires, so snow probably isn't a good idea, but if you only have it occasionally like we do in SC, then you should be fine if careful.

And they look pretty awesome too.

Old 1/3/13, 02:47 PM
Former Vendor

Sumitomo HTZ II

I have these on the back of my Bullitt and all I can say is that traction does not exist with these tires in an wet environment. If it rains I have to be very careful as I have no traction with these tires. I often spin coming out of a side street onto a main road or coming off a hill where I may need to give it a bit of gas to keep from rolling backwards the tires will spin considerably.

I will be looking at new tires this spring in hopes of finding something that works better all year round as my Bullitt is my DD.
Old 1/3/13, 03:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Cooper RS3 A, 255/40/19 on mustang gt vert which is a daily driver.

I have about 3000 miles on them so far, in dry/wet and cold temps.

Dry-- good roadholding and no feelings of loss of traction, I routinely drive a 3 mile stretch of 2 lane that has some long curves and several 30 mph curves, these tires handle speeds of 60 plus in the curves without any complaint.
Wet-- Very stable and difficult to break loose, I have tried several times without success.
Cold-- Driven in 30's and 40's so far and other than initial flat spots until they get warmed up, I can't find any fault.

I really like these tires, they are a bit noisier than my OE tires but for an all season they handle almost as well as the summer Goodyear F1's.

I would definitely buy these again.
Old 1/3/13, 04:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kevin509

I'd like to add to that review now that I've driven the tire in the snow that they are what I'd call "acceptable for occasional snow and ice use."
^this, I have the V speed GTs
Old 1/4/13, 07:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Nitto NT555's

For a summer tire, I like them living here in the state of Texas. We get very little "winter weather". In the rain, I'm not a fan of them, but I'm not scared to drive the car while it's raining. I've ran a few sessions on the road course with a set of these. Once on my Lightning, and a few times on my 12' 5.0. It did fairly well. I couldn't push the car as much as I wanted to in some areas, but I never once spun off the track.

I have ran these tires in all shape and size. These have been on my 02' Vortech GT, 2012 5.0, 99' Lightning, and even my 13' 5.0. I'm a fan of the tire for DD use.
Old 1/4/13, 10:43 AM
Cobra R Member

Thanks guys, keep them coming!
Old 1/4/13, 10:53 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
One thing you really have to consider is not the positive reviews on tires. People tend to not stray far from the tire brands they know. So a good review on a tire might just be because they don't have experience with better tires. You can pretty much bank on the negative reviews though.
Old 1/4/13, 11:13 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
One thing you really have to consider is not the positive reviews on tires. People tend to not stray far from the tire brands they know. So a good review on a tire might just be because they don't have experience with better tires. You can pretty much bank on the negative reviews though.
+1 Completely agreeable.
Old 1/4/13, 11:52 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The tires I'm running now I think are just stock replacements.

However I did run a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s once and those were some sweet tires.

They were summer tires, but I remember them doing admirably well in the wet. There was a lot less slipping around in my drive after installing them. However, they were not cheap and do not last long. My second accident can be mostly attributed to the fact that I ran those tires until they were bald (<20k miles) and then hit water

Aside from the cost, I'd recommend them to everyone. Also I'll sticky this
Attached Images  

Last edited by future9er24; 1/4/13 at 11:53 AM.
Old 1/4/13, 11:57 AM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
We put the Conti DWS on our 2013 GT500 the day after we got the car. They've proved to be superior to the stock GYs in the wet and in the cold. Traction is good on warm, dry pavement but not as good as the GYs.

It poured for 2 days when we got these put on the car. We had NO problems with wet traction or hydroplaning. Even with 660 bhp.

If you're planning to drive in the rain or cold weather, these tires are very good.
Old 1/4/13, 12:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I'll get pics later, but I'm going to save this spot. I had a bunch of tires on my SN95.

BFG HR4s (no longer made)

Falken Ze-329s (no longer made)

General Exclaim UHPs - excellent all around tire, summer and wet, quiet, and relatively inexpensive. I'd recommend and buy these again.

Nankang (have to look up model #) - decent when new, not much cheaper than Generals, but I was in college and every penny counted - didn't last long and were downright terrible after some miles on them

BFG g-Force Super Sport A/S - current tires, decent dry grip, quiet, soft sidewall though, great in the wet, decently priced. I'd recommend and buy these again.
Old 1/4/13, 12:29 PM
Cobra R Member

Woot! coming together well!
Old 1/4/13, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by cpotts13
I havent seen a thread like this anywhere but here it goes..

This will be a thread that contains personal experiences we as mustangers have had with different tire brands, sizes etc.

It will be devided into four sections: Summer, All season, Winter an Drag radials

I will condense your review from your reply into the first two posts on this thread.

When you "submit" your review, state the season (Summer etc), size (315/35/17) and front or rear placement and your impressions.

Hopefully this thread can aide in tire buying for all mustangers!

Lets see if this will take off..

Summer:

Sumitomo HTZ R, 315/35/17, rear

"These are a alright budget tire, the compound is very hard, which leads to long life but subsequently leads to very bad traction. Would I buy again? NO." -Cpotts13

Dunlop Z1 star spec. 245/45-17

"Awsome handling tire, high limits and communicates well. steering responce is spot on with other top tier tires I have felt. Braking grip is very high, next to zero slip under harding braking ( I have no abs ). great track day tire also, decent in rain. price makes it totally worth it imo. I also have these tires on my Contour 205/55-16 ( replacing hard to find 215/50-16) love these that much, replacing BFG KDW ( old tread pattern) no need to review that tire is no longer made."-Skunk21

Sumitomo HTZ II, 275/35/18, front and rear

"The tread design really stands out and makes them unique. I drive a 2010 v6 so i cant truly attest to traction, but they are a good tire and I would purchase again"

"I have these on the back of my Bullitt and all I can say is that traction does not exist with these tires in an wet environment. If it rains I have to be very careful as I have no traction with these tires. I often spin coming out of a side street onto a main road or coming off a hill where I may need to give it a bit of gas to keep from rolling backwards the tires will spin considerably.
I will be looking at new tires this spring in hopes of finding something that works better all year round as my Bullitt is my DD."-Steve@CJPP

Nitto NT555's

"For a summer tire, I like them living here in the state of Texas. We get very little "winter weather". In the rain, I'm not a fan of them, but I'm not scared to drive the car while it's raining. I've ran a few sessions on the road course with a set of these. Once on my Lightning, and a few times on my 12' 5.0. It did fairly well. I couldn't push the car as much as I wanted to in some areas, but I never once spun off the track.
I have ran these tires in all shape and size. These have been on my 02' Vortech GT, 2012 5.0, 99' Lightning, and even my 13' 5.0. I'm a fan of the tire for DD use."-Jarrod@latermodelresto

Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3

"They were summer tires, but I remember them doing admirably well in the wet. There was a lot less slipping around in my drive after installing them. However, they were not cheap and do not last long. My second accident can be mostly attributed to the fact that I ran those tires until they were bald (<20k miles) and then hit water
Aside from the cost, I'd recommend them to everyone."-future9er24

All season:

Cooper RS3 A, 255/40/19

"I have about 3000 miles on them so far, in dry/wet and cold temps.
I really like these tires, they are a bit noisier than my OE tires but for an all season they handle almost as well as the summer Goodyear F1's.
I would definitely buy these again."-Mustang259

Continental DWS. 225/50-17

"Good all around all season tire ( ran these on my Lincoln) . good in the snow average on compacted snow and icey/slush. Just like any all season it has limits vs a snow so speed is key, does very good in turns and lower speeds. Very good in rain and decent ride ( stiffer side walls than passenger tires) on dry roads, cold weather dry handling is okay but limits are much lower. summer dry roads good to decent steering feel ( you feel where it lacks when driving under a better handling tire but to the average good tire), good braking feel."-Skunk21

"We put the Conti DWS on our 2013 GT500 the day after we got the car. They've proved to be superior to the stock GYs in the wet and in the cold. Traction is good on warm, dry pavement but not as good as the GYs.
If you're planning to drive in the rain or cold weather, these tires are very good."-UOP Shadow

Michelin Pilot sport A/S plus. 225/50-17

"Very good all around all season tire ( current tire on my Lincoln). Good in snow, turn in snowy roads much better at slower speeds than the DWS imo. still average on compacted snow and icey/slushy roads ( just the limts of all season compund).abouh the same ride has DWS but much more crisper handling traits, turn in much, much better both wet and dry. very high limits and great braking grip. highly recommend."-Skunk21

BFG g-Force sports

"I've got BFG g-Force sports on my car now. Love them, they've got good traction in dry and wet, and were a very good price as well. Think I paid like 115 each totally installed and balanced. They are summer tires, so snow probably isn't a good idea, but if you only have it occasionally like we do in SC, then you should be fine if careful. And they look pretty awesome too."-StangMahn

Goodyear Eagle Gt 235/55/17

"I've had these tires on the car for a while now, but I wanted to wait to do a review of them until I have several hundred miles on them and had driven them in a range of conditions. Reviews written the minute you get home from the tire shop are pointless as far as I'm concerned.
They are Goodyear Eagle GT all seasons, with a W speed rating. (Be aware, these are different than the Eagle GT's with the V speed rating). Tire rack lists them as an 'ultra-high performance all-season.' I was looking for a long lasting, reasonably affordable OEM replacement tire to replace my OEM Pirellis that would be at least as capable as the OEM tire as far as handling goes.

With that said; let's get to the important stuff first:
DRY ROAD HOLDING/HANDLING: In a word; it's excellent. These aren't r-comp track tires, and they aren't drag radials. But as long as you understand that and don't expect them to be something they're not, I think they're highly impressive. There's an approximately 110 degree tight radius sweeping freeway exit I take on a regular basis on my way to work, it has a 25MPH speed advisory. With the OEM Pirellis, 45MPH had the fronts squealing for mercy, and much faster than that caused pretty dramatic push from the front end. The Eagles turn in crisp and hold 55-60MPH through the turn without a hint of complaint. I find that they're more stable mid corner than the Pirellis were in steady sweepers. They're a confidence inspiring tire, and don't feel as twitchy as the Pirellis under minor steering corrections mid corner. I haven't been to the track, so I can't speak to their abilities there, but they launch on the street far better than the Pirellis did. They hold WOT in first gear from a stop (in my mostly stock GT) with only a little chirping, when the Pirellis under the same conditions would break lose entirely. The only condition I've found that confuses these tires somewhat in the dry is rapid, violent left-right-left-right turning such as a slalom, but that's probably partly down to the 55 series sidewall of the 17 inch wheels.
WET ROAD HOLDING/HANDLING: Again, excellent is the word I want to use here. Because one half of the asymmetrical tread pattern is designed for wet weather they grip very well in the wet. There's a depression on the freeway on my daily commute that collects a large patch of standing water during heavy rain. Hitting this puddle with the Pirellis always caused a momentary sensation of hydroplaning and a twitch of the steering wheel. The Eagles blast through the same water without any sensation of hydroplaning. Additionally, it takes a significant amount of hooning with the traction control off to get the car sideways on wet roads. They're a very stable tire in the wet. I haven't driven them in the snow, and I don't plan to drive this car in the snow. Frankly I think if you do drive your mustang in the snow, you owe it to yourself to buy a dedicated set of snow tires.
COMFORT: Comfort doesn't matter a whole lot to me if I'm honest. I spent the last three years driving a lowered pickup with very old, worn out suspension, so this car is a great leap forward in the comfort department regardless. However, I do think that they are a little rougher riding than the Pirellis were. Not so much to be irritating (to me anyway), but they do seem to have a little stiffer sidewall. I think they're just a little quieter than the Pirellis as far as road noise, but they're definitely not a silent tire.
AESTHETICS: I'm not the sort of person who buys a tire based on how "cool" the tread pattern or sidewall looks, but if that does matter to you, I think they're definitely a "cool" looking tire. For one thing, the name Eagle GT just sounds like it belongs on a muscle car, and definitely looks good on the sidewall. Also, they look beefier than the Pirellis did, despite being the same size. Somehow they look a little bigger and wider than the Pirellis. They also have the rim-protector lip which is nice to have. The tread pattern itself is pretty aggressive looking I think. The inside section looks pretty similar to the Pirellis, and the outside section sorta reminds me of the BFG G-Force T/A. Another thing to keep in mind is that they're asymmetrical rather than directional. For me that's a plus because it means they can be rotated more efficiently, and more rotations = longer life.
In conclusion, I'm very pleased with these tires; they do exactly what I was hoping they would do, for a price that I could handle. I expect with regular rotations and my driving style to get about 40,000 miles out of these tires. I'll update this after the first rotation, or if they do anything unexpected"-Kevin509

General Exclaim UHPs

"excellent all around tire, summer and wet, quiet, and relatively inexpensive. I'd recommend and buy these again."-laserred38

BFG g-Force Super Sport A/S

"current tires, decent dry grip, quiet, soft sidewall though, great in the wet, decently priced. I'd recommend and buy these again."-laserred38

Winter:

Hankook I-Pike RW11
( car version is I-Pike W409 )

"I run these on my Explorer. Great winter tire, great price. I used to run Blizzaks, cost more $$ and had way more tread squirm/mush. These handle much better, have a much better ride and eat snow and ice just the same. 'nuff said"-Skunk21

Drag Radials:
I have sumitomo htr z and I love them!
Old 1/4/13, 01:08 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 03geetee
I have sumitomo htr z and I love them!
Write a quick review of them and ill add it for you!!
Old 1/4/13, 02:31 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Running Nitto 555 up front right now. Hard to beat mustang tire. Traction is pretty good. They last a pretty good while. Wet weather is just ok but it's a mustang so slow it down in the rain. I will be upgrading to Toyo when these are done.

Running Nitto drags out back which are great in the hotter months. 10k mile tires if you don't drag race often. Don't get em wet. (Gremlins) lol
Still on the fence about new DR's out back. Gonna try Toyo and report back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mustanger's Guide to Perfect Tires