Tire and Wheel Tech All the tire and wheel technical information you can think of in one place!

Looking for thoughts / advice on this setup

Search this Thread

Old 3/23/15, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking for thoughts / advice on this setup

I have a 13 Mustang GT/CS; a daily driver (about 20k miles a year); I do not track it. It has the stock 19 x 8.5 rims with the original 245/45/19 Pirelli's (46k miles). It is time for some new rubber. I have been debating for the past couple weeks on whether to go with new wheels/tires or just tires. I like the stock rims, but like many, they just arent very wide for the looks department. I have checked with my Ford dealer they say i can go with a 275/40/19 on all four corners. I also want to lower it some, and while things were changing, I want to add some wheel spacers.

So, here is what i am considering getting to install:
BFG g-force Comp-2 A/S 275/40/19
RTR Tactical Performance Lowering Springs 1.5 inch drop front and back
H&R Trak+ Hubcentric Wheel Spacers 35 MM

If I was to go with new wheels/tires, I will get the CDC Outlaws when they come out in a couple weeks.....they are kinda pricey though.

Anyways, for the above setup using my stock rims, anyone have any thoughts on how it will work or suggested changes / additions.

Thanks.
Old 3/23/15, 09:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
I would not run a 275 on a 8.5" rim.
Check tire rack for suggested rim with for a 275
Old 3/24/15, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Any specific reason why? I have seen on various forums / threads a few people saying they have used the 275 on a 8.5 rim with no issues, but I haven't seen anyone saying they used it and they had something go wrong / bad with details.
Old 3/24/15, 08:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Plug your numbers into this thing for a visual:

http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

Use the left side for stock, the right side for your new tire size.

At 275/40, you will have a *serious* amount of pooch of the sidewalls, and they're not meant for that much pinch from tread to rim. They may unmount in a spirited turn, and will probably also not ride right. It may even cause premature wear of the sidewall and cause the tire to simply fail. You're putting stresses on the sidewall they weren't meant to take on an every day, normal driving basis. Turning is one thing, but constantly being forced to be at a pooch is another.

Some may have had luck running this size tire, and that's fine, but they're taking a bit of an unnecessary risk, IMO.

Also, as suggested, going to Tire Rack is a good idea to get specs on what rim widths the tires should be run on. In this case, the 275mm wide tire is a 9" to 11" rim spec.

(Randomly selected tire of 275/40-19)

You can see it in the chart under the 'Specs' tab, in the middle, under 'Rim Width Range' You will also see other sizes and their rim sizes too. You might try the Contis and Goodyears for other charts, I just picked a tire, and it happened to be a Bridgestone.

**Now, it's your car. Your safety.*** If you think you can get away with it, and also endure the ridicule and pointing and laughing that those pooched out tires being put on a Mustang will cause to be sent your way, then go for it.

I wouldn't.

You could go a 255/40 or 255/45-19, with a slightly slower/faster (accordingly) speedo as a result. That's about the widest tire that goes as low as an 8.5" rim in the charts that I can find. But that's not really all that much wider than the 245, so I doubt you'd see any great increase in traction for the trouble of doing it.

265 and up is not recommended for an 8.5" rim, although you could maybe, MAYBE get away with the 265, I suppose...

Again, not my car, your to do with as you will, especially in this day of the stretched tires and stance nation, but seriously consider all the things(tm).

Oh, and by the way... these numbers for rims vs widths are the *manufacture's numbers*. Something to consider if/when the tire has worn out prematurely in some way and they document your intentionally ignoring their specified desires on how it's to be run. So as long as you don't mind *fully* supporting that tire and it's failure in every way, whether that's a new tire, or the accident a failed one might cause and the costs thereto, go for it.

And finally, may I say that a *DEALER* who recommends you can put that size tire on a rim that the manufacturer says is too small? You might want to reevaluate the trust you put in that dealer's service department, to be honest, because they have *NO BUSINESS* telling you such a thing. That, too, is just my opinion, but still. That's kind of messed up.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by houtex; 3/24/15 at 08:21 PM.
Old 4/26/15, 10:24 AM

Follow up...

So....here is what i decided to go with...
Niche GT5
20/8.5 255/35 front
20/10.5 295/35 rear
and caliper covers
Attached Thumbnails Looking for thoughts / advice on this setup-front_angled.jpg   Looking for thoughts / advice on this setup-front_tire.jpg   Looking for thoughts / advice on this setup-rear_tire.jpg   Looking for thoughts / advice on this setup-side_angled.jpg   Looking for thoughts / advice on this setup-rear_view.jpg  

Old 5/6/15, 06:37 AM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Noooiiiicccceeeeee
Old 8/19/15, 09:37 PM
V6 Member

I really like the five spoke rims on the SGM, hopefully I can save up some cash and get a set for next summer! Looking good!!
Old 8/23/15, 02:20 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
.............At 275/40, you will have a *serious* amount of pooch of the sidewalls, and they're not meant for that much pinch from tread to rim.........
pooch (!)

I like your posts. They are very helpful.
Old 8/23/15, 11:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Those look outstanding!

---

Heh, thanks, Kevin!