Tire and Wheel Tech All the tire and wheel technical information you can think of in one place!

Cooper Zeon RS3-S

Old 6/17/14, 06:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Cooper Zeon RS3-S

I'm looking to get a new set of rubber in the next month, and I wanted to see if anyone is or has run the Cooper RS3-S their UHP summer tire, and get your thoughts on them. Looking for Pros/Cons, wet and dry performance, road noise etc. Living in Indiana, I will need decent/good wet performance.

I think that Roush puts these on their new cars.

My backups are Hankook Ventus V12 or Bridgestone S04 pole position. Looking to stay in the 200-250 range. Would love to get the Pilot sports, but going to hold off those for now.

I'm also thinking about moving up a size to a 255/40/19. My CS has 245/45/19 currently. Will still be using the stock rims, and they are 8.5 in wide.
Thanks.
Old 6/17/14, 07:18 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Hey Roger. I don't have experience with these tires. However, I did (at one point) have the 19x8.5 premium wheels. And I, too, switched sizes from 245/45 19 to 255/40 19. I think you will like the difference.
Old 6/17/14, 08:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
If it matters, I was pretty happy with the Cooper Zeon RS3-A's. They weren't the summer ones, they were the all season ones, but man... I really thought they held grip well, and I was highly confident in all aspect of operations of the car. Rode nice, drove nice, rain tire excellence, and I didn't think they were noisy at all. Wear seemed ok too, and if I hadn't have acquired the 18x9.5 rims, I would have a set on the car now. They don't make these in the 275/40-18s.

But that's the -As. I can't actually speak for the -S, but reviews are pretty decent, seems, for that tire as well. If I was in the market for summer onlys, I wouldn't be hesitating to buy them.

That, however, is me. You do more research and I hope you find the tire that suits you best!

Last edited by houtex; 6/17/14 at 08:43 PM.
Old 6/18/14, 07:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
Hey Roger. I don't have experience with these tires. However, I did (at one point) have the 19x8.5 premium wheels. And I, too, switched sizes from 245/45 19 to 255/40 19. I think you will like the difference.
Originally Posted by houtex
If it matters, I was pretty happy with the Cooper Zeon RS3-A's. They weren't the summer ones, they were the all season ones, but man... I really thought they held grip well, and I was highly confident in all aspect of operations of the car. Rode nice, drove nice, rain tire excellence, and I didn't think they were noisy at all. Wear seemed ok too, and if I hadn't have acquired the 18x9.5 rims, I would have a set on the car now. They don't make these in the 275/40-18s.

But that's the -As. I can't actually speak for the -S, but reviews are pretty decent, seems, for that tire as well. If I was in the market for summer onlys, I wouldn't be hesitating to buy them.

That, however, is me. You do more research and I hope you find the tire that suits you best!
Thanks guys, this is the type of info I was hoping to get. The more I read about them, the more I'm inclined to try them out. I've found some articles from Motor trend and some other decent publications that gave both the A and S good reviews. I'm wanting to try the S because I am going to sign up for a couple track days and was wanting the extra grip, that I'm thinking they should provide.

Plus there's a $70 rebate if you purchase before July 15th. My local Discount tire has them for $207 each for the 255/40/19.

Houtex, they have the -As in a 275/35-18, not sure if you would want to go with a lower profile or stick with the 40's?
Old 6/18/14, 07:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Yeah, the 35s are just not enough sidewall for the height of the car overall, IMO. It's bad enough I got the 40s I have now. I'm gonna drop her 1" overall this weekend (I hope! Work and life kinda delayed things...) and that should help the 4x4 look she's got now.

And to be honest, I wound up trying the General GMax All Seasons... and while they're nice and grippy even in the rain (for an AS that is), they don't compare to the skinnier 235/55-17 Coopers. Further, these GMax's are LOUD. At about 40 and on up to 60, it sounds like all four wheel bearings are bad. Wish I had seen that particular review, but alas.

I got them because all season, long warranty, and they actually look cool as all get out, ya ask me. Big dang tires, nifty tread. But whenever the next batch of tires come about, I'm thinking this time I probably need to go to the Goodyear F1s like was oem on the 2010 Cobra 'Vert, 255/45-18 in front, and 285/45-18 in back, and just deal with the four corner way of things.

Maybe.
Old 6/18/14, 08:31 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
These tires are fantastic. I have them on my girl friends FX35. Way better than the bridgstones. Ride nicer and are quieter. Traction is great. I have Coopers on most of my cars. I run them on my Suburban as well. = to Michelin's.
Old 6/19/14, 06:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
No experence with the RS3's I run the the V12's and like them alot. I haven't done much rain driving but what I did do was pretty good. There's an old tire test in my sig. Giver a click
Old 6/19/14, 01:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
These tires are fantastic. I have them on my girl friends FX35. Way better than the bridgstones. Ride nicer and are quieter. Traction is great. I have Coopers on most of my cars. I run them on my Suburban as well. = to Michelin's.

Originally Posted by Glenn
No experence with the RS3's I run the the V12's and like them alot. I haven't done much rain driving but what I did do was pretty good. There's an old tire test in my sig. Giver a click
Thanks Gents, I'm going to give them a try. Going to see about getting them installed July 4th weekend.

Glenn - that was a very good read.
Old 6/19/14, 06:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

keep in mind it is a yr or two old. But yes good info
Old 6/19/14, 07:07 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,197 Posts
I have the RS3-S tires on my Roush and am very happy with them.
I can't speak for wet pavement as I don't take the car out in rain or wet pavement, but I am happy with this tire.
Good luck!
Old 6/20/14, 09:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have the Mickey Thompson street comps. Mickey T is part of Cooper tire, and the tread looks remarkably similar to the ones Cooper sells.
I have only driven my car in dry weather. The tires are great!
Old 6/21/14, 12:46 AM
Cobra Member

?
Originally Posted by Rog13GTCS
Thanks Gents, I'm going to give them a try. Going to see about getting them installed July 4th weekend.

Glenn - that was a very good read.

Where are you getting them? I been buying from a place called Tread Depot. In Florida no one can beat there prices. They are owned by Kaufman Tires and there store have a hard time matching there prices.
Old 6/21/14, 01:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I will have to check them out next time a need tires. I usually find the best price I can and then go to discount tire.
Old 6/22/14, 01:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Plim
I have the Mickey Thompson street comps. Mickey T is part of Cooper tire, and the tread looks remarkably similar to the ones Cooper sells.
I didnt realize MT was owned by Cooper, and you're right they look very similar.

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
?

Where are you getting them? I been buying from a place called Tread Depot. In Florida no one can beat there prices. They are owned by Kaufman Tires and there store have a hard time matching there prices.
Local Discount Tire, more than likely. Thanks. I'll check out Tread depot.
Old 7/3/14, 10:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Had the tires installed yesterday. They are noticeably wider, and they fit the stock wheel nicely, and they are .7inches smaller than the Pirelli's. I could tell when I got in the car that it was a little lower. Cant wait to break them in some to see how they perform.
Old 7/3/14, 03:23 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Had the tires installed yesterday. They are noticeably wider, and they fit the stock wheel nicely, and they are .7inches smaller than the Pirelli's. I could tell when I got in the car that it was a little lower. Cant wait to break them in some to see how they perform.
Awesome man.
You will love them.
Old 7/3/14, 04:21 PM
Cobra Member

Congrats.. You will like them. The Infinite Guys have gone to them and they like the way they look and handle. They are great in the rain as well. Post a Picture if you can. I would like to see how they look on a Stang?

They just look mean and wide..
Old 7/4/14, 12:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Some pics: I like them so far. Road noise on the hi-way is good/low, and they grip well in turns, and the ride is very compliant. I have more confidence in them than the stock Pirelli's.
Attached Thumbnails Cooper Zeon RS3-S-cooper1.jpg   Cooper Zeon RS3-S-cooper2.jpg  
Old 7/12/14, 11:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been looking into replacement tires and according to the Cooper and Mickey Thompson tech guys I spoke to, the RS3-S and Street Comp are virtually identical. The difference is that the MT street comp has a softer compound. Also, Cooper has rebates from time to time unlike MT.
Old 7/12/14, 11:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Plim

Pascal, what size street comps did you go with?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cooper Zeon RS3-S