Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Watts link: what, why, and who?

Search this Thread

Old 8/6/16, 04:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. V
I know it's an old thread but if Gabe or anyone else with first hand experience with a watts could post a review, that would be great. I'm looking for more input on the whiteline watts. It's bounced on and off my list for years.
A friend has a Whiteline and had problems with the pivot mount braking off.
Between that and the issues Whiteline had with the Mustang upper control arms, I can't see myself ever buying one of their products.

That being said, a Watts Link is an awesome thing to have in one of these cars.
I can accelerate harder from a stop when turning, like I was sitting at a light waiting to take a left onto a highway on-ramp, I took off and my fiancee behind me was like "holy excremental matter, he's losing me!" lol ...

But seriously, it keeps the rear end planted much better than the panhard bar set-up, reduces body roll somewhat, and just makes for a much more fun ride through the twisties.
I got the BMR unit with the poly bushing ends.
They're only poly at the ends where the linkages mount to the axle clamps.
At the inner mounts they're still rod ends.
I covered the rod ends with some rod end boots, and before I did that I sprayed them with some Amsoil metal protector, to try to keep dirt and corrosion away.

A few pictures from my install:

Name:  20160707_BMR-Watts01.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  268.6 KB

Name:  20160707_BMR-Watts03.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  247.3 KB

Name:  20160707_BMR-Watts05.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  261.0 KB

I had to cut those rubber "ears" off those dust boots to get them to fit into the pivot:

Name:  20160707_BMR-Watts06.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  222.3 KB

Name:  20160707_BMR-Watts07.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  206.1 KB

Name:  20160707_BMR-Watts08.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  238.5 KB

Name:  20160707_BMR-Watts13.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  273.0 KB

Name:  20160707_BMR-Watts12.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  260.7 KB

That ^^^ picture doesn't show a spacer that I installed the next day on the driver side of the car, where the panhard bar would normally be. The bolt goes through and grabs the upper ear of the LCA relocation bracket, so if you don't have a bracket that goes up to that hole, you don't need to re-install that spacer.

What I'm talking about:

Name:  20160708_BMR-Watts-spacer.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  230.9 KB
The following 2 users liked this post by Gabe:
alfaromeo (6/15/18), tourer (3/1/17)
Old 8/6/16, 08:40 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I like that it doesn't mount to the diff cover. That way if something breaks, it doesn't rip a whole in a diff.
Old 8/23/16, 10:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Ok. I've decided to go with the steeda watts. I have two demons. One is saving the money. The other is I have whiteline sway bars. Does anyone know if these sways work with the steeda watts link?
Old 8/24/16, 06:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Ok. I've decided to go with the steeda watts. I have two demons. One is saving the money. The other is I have whiteline sway bars. Does anyone know if these sways work with the steeda watts link?
Could be a nice time to give a try

TJ
The following users liked this post:
tourer (3/1/17)
Old 8/24/16, 07:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Could be a nice time to give a try

TJ
Lol, not if it doesn't fit. I just bought a tuner and cai from you. I am back in research and save money mode. I'm hoping someone on here has tried it or seen this combo.
Old 8/24/16, 08:19 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lol, not if it doesn't fit. I just bought a tuner and cai from you. I am back in research and save money mode. I'm hoping someone on here has tried it or seen this combo.
The Steeda watts won't fit with the WL sway because they both attach to the axle.
Old 8/24/16, 09:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by jp1seattle
The Steeda watts won't fit with the WL sway because they both attach to the axle.
That was my fear.
Old 10/24/16, 05:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Mr. V: What (or: "Watt") did you end up doing?

I'm still pondering a Watts link...any input would be helpful!!
Old 10/30/16, 09:52 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
Mr. V: What (or: "Watt") did you end up doing?

I'm still pondering a Watts link...any input would be helpful!!
This has actually fallen of my mod list. It seems that I have painted myself into a corner with my sway bar choice. I bought white line sways. I've read about some failures of their watts and that kind of killed it for me. I was boycotting steeda over a minor business practice that they have since changed. I was sold on the steeda watts but it won't work with my white line sways. Buying another set of sways so that I can then buy a watts is outside of my budget.
Old 10/31/16, 12:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

This has actually fallen of my mod list. It seems that I have painted myself into a corner with my sway bar choice. I bought white line sways. I've read about some failures of their watts and that kind of killed it for me. I was boycotting steeda over a minor business practice that they have since changed. I was sold on the steeda watts but it won't work with my white line sways. Buying another set of sways so that I can then buy a watts is outside of my budget.
Mr. V ... are we all good now? Trying to mend the relationships one customer at a time!

Best Regards,

TJ
tourer (3/1/17)
Old 10/31/16, 12:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Mr. V ... are we all good now? Trying to mend the relationships one customer at a time!

Best Regards,

TJ
You guys are amazing. I'm very much back into Steeda stuff. I just purchased and intake and tune from you guys.
Old 10/31/16, 01:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Or you can re-install the OEM swaybar, sell off the Whiteline bar, and get a Watts which will improve the handling of the car in many ways, something an aftermarket swaybar can't say.

The BMR Watts has multiple spots where the center pivot can be mounted on that center plate, and mounting it higher on that plate will make it act more like a stiffer sway bar is mounted back there.
So much so, that you can even remove the rear swaybar altogether.

This is something the BMR reps are claiming, and hardcore track guys are agreeing with.
Old 11/5/16, 12:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Gabe
Or you can re-install the OEM swaybar, sell off the Whiteline bar, and get a Watts which will improve the handling of the car in many ways, something an aftermarket swaybar can't say.

The BMR Watts has multiple spots where the center pivot can be mounted on that center plate, and mounting it higher on that plate will make it act more like a stiffer sway bar is mounted back there.
So much so, that you can even remove the rear swaybar altogether.

This is something the BMR reps are claiming, and hardcore track guys are agreeing with.
Stop making sense! It costs me money. 😉 I can't put on the stock rear sways. I had to change them because the linkage was making some much nose that it drove me crazy. I have been thinking lately of just changing the rear and away and getting the steeda watts. Keeping the the front white line would save me some money. Lol, I just have to decide. I'm guessing your long term testing of the bmr watts has been really good?
Old 11/5/16, 09:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yup, love it. Still looking forward to corners more than ever, and it's just a more controlled ride overall.
The fiancee loves hers as well, in her Shelby.
Old 11/7/16, 05:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Stop making sense! It costs me money. 😉 I can't put on the stock rear sways. I had to change them because the linkage was making some much nose that it drove me crazy. I have been thinking lately of just changing the rear and away and getting the steeda watts. Keeping the the front white line would save me some money. Lol, I just have to decide. I'm guessing your long term testing of the bmr watts has been really good?
You know Black Friday is just 2 weeks away! Good deals to be had.
Old 11/7/16, 06:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

True story!

As always ... I am happy to give my sales manager a run on the Steeda watts link ...

http://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang...kage-555-2525/

Great looking product

Best Regards,

TJ
tourer (3/1/17)
Old 11/7/16, 11:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
You mean they stopped the handling charges on orders? If so, I may be able to add them to my supplier list again! They have a lot of mods I was interested in but ended up getting somewhere else. I think I could use a watts link...maybe theirs?
Old 11/7/16, 11:35 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by El Coyote GT/CS
You mean they stopped the handling charges on orders? If so, I may be able to add them to my supplier list again! They have a lot of mods I was interested in but ended up getting somewhere else. I think I could use a watts link...maybe theirs?
Yup. They stopped it. That's why I'm back buying steeda.
Old 11/8/16, 05:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with the Cortex Racing Watts Link?

http://cortexracing.com/product/xtre...-s197-mustang/

If you do have experience, did you use a sway bar and which one?

Last edited by 13GetThere; 11/8/16 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11/8/16, 06:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Gabe, your BMR Watts Link is starting to interest me. Thanks for the pictures. Which rear sway bar did you use with it, and how was the fit?

Quick Reply: Watts link: what, why, and who?