Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Panhard bar brace

Search this Thread

Old 8/30/14, 09:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Panhard bar brace

In my suspension research, I've seen a few companies (Steeda, Whiteline) that make a panhard bar brace. Is a brace really necessary? I realize the stock mounting flexes a fair bit, Steeda's website says how you can flex it by pulling on it with your hands, etc...even though that's not the same type of force actually driving a car puts on that piece. But in a primarily-street application, how much does this come into play? Are there any negatives (NVH)?
Old 8/30/14, 11:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Any stiffening of the parts will cause NVH, it's just the degree that it will is a debatable, and personal, item.

The engineers at Ford (et al) purposely make the suspension parts flexible to *reduce* the NVH of the car. Because they have to sell the car to a mass market. As sporty and responsive as possible given that less hard core drivers are going to be getting them. Also, less 'race inspired' drivers. They just wanna look cool, drive a pretty car, that sort of thing. They're not tracking.

So they put in not-so rigid parts with not-so-rigid rubber bushings. This allows the part to flex and forgive the NVH that a hard core race inspired setup would give.

The panhard brace is no exception. If you make it stronger, then the noise of the brace and the bar it attaches to, and the axle IT attatches to, all that goes right into the body, and into your seat and the air...

And the car is now noiser. Those smaller bumps are harder, felt more. Car's more 'harsh'. This means it will respond a lot better than before... but it's more abrubt, maybe even a little less forgiving, of any sloppiness or mistakes by the driver. Or a lot less, depending on the mods.

Having done the bar, and the LCAs, plus 1" lowering springs, my car is SO much more fun to drive, and also more responsive. No wheel hop either, I love that. But yes, the little bumps and whatnot do add up now, where as before, they did not.

Wouldn't change it for the world. But I also didn't change out the panhard brace, for the reason that I'm not tracking. If I were, I might not even do that, but replace it all with a Watts, which for a 3 link suspension, seems the better way to go. Maybe. Not a race engineer.

Anyway, yes. Any stiffening produces NVH, which is why they make them less stiff for production purposes.

Last edited by houtex; 8/30/14 at 11:15 AM.
Old 8/31/14, 01:34 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good points and I agree. Unless you are spending almost every weekend on some sort of road course or windy road commuting to and from your home to work and are willing to accept the trade off then reconsider upgrading your suspension. If the fun is more important than the quiet in your Muscle Car then change some stuff out and see if you like it.
Old 9/1/14, 08:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Oh don't get me wrong, I know fully what I'm getting into when upgrading suspension. I'm doing the whole works, springs/struts/mounts/UCA/LCA/PHB. This ain't my first rodeo, I'm just wondering about some Mustang-specific stuff. For example, I know I'm getting more road noise and such with all the stuff I'm doing, but if the stock TP suspension NVH is a 3 and doing all this stuff takes it to a 5, does the brace make it a 5.5 or an 8? With some cars I've had, you can do all you want, but when it comes to actual chassis bracing, it kicks up the road and chassis noise to a whole new level, with minimal benefit unless you're out on the road course. Wanna know if this is sort of the same deal.
Old 9/1/14, 09:37 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by lakeguy77
Oh don't get me wrong, I know fully what I'm getting into when upgrading suspension. I'm doing the whole works, springs/struts/mounts/UCA/LCA/PHB. This ain't my first rodeo, I'm just wondering about some Mustang-specific stuff. For example, I know I'm getting more road noise and such with all the stuff I'm doing, but if the stock TP suspension NVH is a 3 and doing all this stuff takes it to a 5, does the brace make it a 5.5 or an 8? With some cars I've had, you can do all you want, but when it comes to actual chassis bracing, it kicks up the road and chassis noise to a whole new level, with minimal benefit unless you're out on the road course. Wanna know if this is sort of the same deal.
I did the same suspension work you listed with he exception of the uca. Many things I read said that there is a large difference in noise with that particular mod. As with all mods, there are also folks that say their uca added no nvh. I did not have any increased noise with my set up. There is some harshness over poor roads that did not exist with he stock set up. I gladly trade that for the more planted consistent response my current setup gives me. It removed my hop and brake dive. It more importantly killed the floaty feeling my car had. The tuning shop I spoke to about the lanyard bar brace said it would add no noise. Several folks on this site talked me out of buying it. They said it offered no real performance benefit.
Old 9/1/14, 11:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
I would think that since no bushings being involved the noise increase would be minimal at best. I just bought the panhard bar and have no plans for the brace since I don't track my car. I think the stock brace is is a cost saving OEM deal that works OK for street driving.
Old 9/1/14, 06:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Here is a video on our panhard brace:

The main function of the panhard bar is to provide the ability to adjust rear end offset. Our larger urethane bushings on the street model reduce flex and improve the panhard bar’s control resulting in better steering response and handling balance while maintaining low NVH (noise, vibration and harshness).

If you’re a road race aficionado we also carry our track tested race version bar with spherical rod end bushings for the ultimate in rigidity and hard cornering capability. - See more at: http://www.steeda.com/blog/2013/12/s....SXYonuYE.dpuf

Let me know if I can help assist with any of your questions. Are you lowering the vehicle too? Then the Panhard bar will help re-center the rear end when you lower ... these cars tend to shift when lowered.

You can reach me at tim@steeda.com.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 9/1/14, 09:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Here is a video on our panhard brace:

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftkQI6IGV8M&list=UUuIh_veEvPWR_jKFyxRpx5Q

The main function of the panhard bar is to provide the ability to adjust rear end offset. Our larger urethane bushings on the street model reduce flex and improve the panhard bar’s control resulting in better steering response and handling balance while maintaining low NVH (noise, vibration and harshness).

If you’re a road race aficionado we also carry our track tested race version bar with spherical rod end bushings for the ultimate in rigidity and hard cornering capability. - See more at: http://www.steeda.com/blog/2013/12/s....SXYonuYE.dpuf

Let me know if I can help assist with any of your questions. Are you lowering the vehicle too? Then the Panhard bar will help re-center the rear end when you lower ... these cars tend to shift when lowered.

You can reach me at tim@steeda.com.

Best Regards,

TJ
The OP is referring to the Brace for the Panhard bar, not the Panhard bar itself
Old 9/2/14, 06:30 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
My apologies ... I read it too fast.

There is no downside to using the brace. It will not add to NVH.

Steeda engineers products that address the weak points in the factory suspension.

You will benefit on a 'primarily-street' application in that you will have more predictable handling in both right and left hand turns, as the brace flexes different amounts depending on whether is under compression or tension.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 9/2/14, 08:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the input all. I'm collecting parts over the winter, and have already ordered the Steeda bar (I can use it now, my car's just a bit out by about 1/4" at half a tank). But I'll be doing an all-Steeda setup of Sport springs, Pro-Action dampers and HD mounts, and control arms. As much as I'd like to drop a wad of cash on everything all at once, life keeps throwing me curveballs. But if I collect a piece or two at a time, I'll have it all ready to install when the car comes out of storage in spring. I'm just pondering some of the other lesser supporting mods like chassis bracing, etc.